1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Inklings

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Mathetais, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Just finished Sea of Swords, and just before it, Spine of thje World... RAS is getting better with Drizzt, after some flailing around... I like Morik, too.

But I still want more Artemis and JArlaxle...

And more Elaith, of course...

Ara
    (Bad guys are the best...)

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Has anyone read the "Coldfire Trilogy" by C.S. Friedman? (Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, and Crown of Shadows)

I am thinking of purchasing it, and was fishing for some opinions on the tril before I picked it up!

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Blech. I thought Sea of Swords wasn't that good. Ah, well, just my opinion.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Professor J. R. R. Tolkien was grading papers on a summer day in 1928 when he came upon a blank page in an exam book. Something inspired him to scribble a few words: "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." The whole thing might have ended there, but it was only a beginning. "Names always generate a story in my mind," he explained later. "Eventually I thought I'd better find out what hobbits were like."

Check out http://nationalreview.com/flashback/flashback-miller121802.asp
    http://nationalreview.com/dreher/dreher121802.asp

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am reading Robin Hobb's the Tawny man now and I must that she is one of the top fantasy writers of today. I think this is on par with her other farseer books and thus an inch better than the Liveship books. She can both captivate a reader so he reads page after page without letting the book degrade to poor thrillseeking that is tiring in the long run. Everyone that hasnt read her work go and so now! It is Hobb, Martin and Jordan that are the greatest fantasy writers of all time, among those I have read. Each with its own distinction.

I would also like to publically thank Extremist for recommending McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga which has opened up my eyes for real space opera. Tremendously interesting and entertaing books.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Looks like the new Terry Goodkind is on its way soon. Amazon.com doesn't have a projected release date, but they do know that it will be 608 pages ... odd.

They also have a brief paragraph or two from the book ... just enough to give me hope that this book is actually about Richard! (unlike the last book where he was a minor character :flaming: )

Check it out ... (I'm sure Tal will add this to the SP links)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sure, I'll add it... As soon as a cover for it appears. And actually they do have a projected release date... July 2003. So not exactly coming soon.

[ December 30, 2002, 23:54: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Wow, it has been awhile ... since Inklings 2 got killed (naughty sorcerer ;) ) I figured I'd bring this to the top.

Actually, I was thinking of posting here. I just got my books out of storage and am blown away at some of the stuff I've read (and still need to read).

A few that I picked up and started already:

The Strong Willed Child by James Dobson
    Deliver us from Evil by Ravi Zacharias
    The Art of War by Sung Tzu (i think that's the author)

9. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Ow,i read Sun Tzu's art of war about 3-4 years ago and it was really great.
    By the way i've just finished "The Legacy" by Salvatore and realized that book had no plot but pure action.
    Anyways i liked the book.(pure action seems fine for me)

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

OOOPS! Shame on me for forgetting to search! Hope I don't have to do penance! :heh:

Anyways - I have been reading James Joyce's "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" for about two months now - it is frustrating to have to read a book and not be able to get into it!! AAARGH!

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is brilliant! Utterly and fantasticaly brilliant I tell you!

12. Tonic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Im reading Wizardborn form the runelord series and it is quite good

13. Khelben Gems: 15/31

I have just finished "Starless Night" by RA Salvatore and ...well liked it,overally it has a little plot and the battle between Drizzt and Dantrag is helluva!Drizzt words after combat is even better....of course those facts do not make it a good book alone.I also liked the intrigue between dark elves,this was told by RAS during "The Dark Elf Trilogy" (Homeland,Exile,Sojourn) but AFAIK it was never reflected like that,commoners pretending that they don't know or mind are just great. Jarlaxle is even better,can't wait for "Servant of the Shard"
    This book is a great look into Underdark(but never better than Homeland) ,after this book i've decided that i should buy Dissolution and Insurrrection,with Condemnation coming into stores at may...

14. Arabwel

Media:
    I am re-reading LotR and re-reading it in the wrong order... I got FotR and RotK first, and only now I have TTT... and I have noticed something... Tolkien's character's are crybabies! :p I mean, almost on every page there is something along the lines "...he cried!" I just had to laugh my ass off when Aragorn & Co. meet Eomer.. :D Oh, the tears! :p

(Is it just me, or am I insane?)

15. Khelben Gems: 15/31

Yeah funny thing that everyone cries.
    (thinking about Legolas)
    Btw,Passage to Dawn is really not good....worst Drizzt book i've read from the beginning to PoD.

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I *Finally* finished "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose. Great book ...

*spoiler*
    Lewis (from Lewis & Clark the explorers) killed himself.

I never knew that ... almost cried (see above posts)

17. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

i just finished the 10th book of the wheel of time. ive heard alot of complaints about it, but for those that have read it, you have to understand that what has happened is thickening out the series, it was neccessary.

Im currently boning up on Terry Pratchet, Reaper Man. I read the colour of magic and the light fantastic early this year, and Mort, Sorcery, Wyrd Sisters and Guards!Guards! when i was 14 and loved them. A great read.

I seem to continue coming back to this, but George R R Martins Song of Ice and Fire series is brilliant, masterpeice, stroke of genius. Im not going to compare it to Tolkien, because that is done far too much. It is a good read though.

I read Hobb's 2nd book in the Tawny Man series over the christmas holidays and again, a great read. If you have read the farseer trilogy and the liveship traders, then you will NEED to read this.

Kate Elliot. I only found these about 3 months ago but they are really good. It adds a new idea to the whole magic scene, as well as having an equal balance between battle and politics. It is really well written, and if anyone can find it, grab it. Youll be rewarding yourself.

18. Arabwel

Media:
    Passage to Dawn SUCKS. Trust me on this one. And I even got spoiled for it by checking if it was on the library yet, and saw certain character listed on the indewx card... suckies. :/

I am reading a book about Greek mythology... It's great! Gives me ideas... :p

(*scurries off to write*)

19. Khelben Gems: 15/31

Ara: Yeah, Passage to Dawn really sucks.

I'll guess i'll read some David Eddings stuff before my book order consists of Drizzt books arrive (via SP of course :) )

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm reading The Rapture by Catherine someone. Amazingly confusing so far, with all stuff about biology which I have not a clue about.

Its about a cult :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.