1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Inklings

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Mathetais, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I spose i could make a link to a site that has my poetry/ short stories that i do for school/compettions/fun but im too lazy to create a site that i could link to. Ah well. If anyones interested, drop me a line just underneath, otherwise, i just wasted your time.

I just finsihed reading Reaper Man by Terry Pratchet. God that book was funny. I was literally on the floor laughing at times. A very good read.

2. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I finihed "The Silent Blade" by Salvatore and enjoyed Entreri's scenes, man this man just ROCKS!
    Drizzt and his group's über BAH-rokeness and crashing everything in their bored me and it's ridicilous.
    Come on, how can a group of 4 fight with all the evil Crenshinibon calls for them and survive?
    Anyway i expect better work in Sea of Swords and The Thousand Orcs, at least let Drizzt have a hard combat!
    Khelben can't wait reading Servant of the Shard

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Been rereading my collection of Michael Moorcock books.

Woohoo. Gotta love Elric's exploits! Of course, the other aspects of the Eternal Champion are pretty interesting as well: Corum, Hawkmoon, Erekose, Urlik Skarsol, Iian of Garathorm, Von Bek and even Jerry Cornelius.

:o

4. Khelben Gems: 15/31

Spine of the World - RA Salvatore.
    Pretty boring, especially the parts in Auckney and the episodes until the Prisoner's Carnival.
    But it's good to see Wulfgar changed in the end.

5. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

I got bored last year when I was at my brother's current University's Library. He was in year 12 at the time, and had 1984 in his bag, so i started to read it. It was a bit confusing towards the end, but it was really good. Animal Farm was not as good but it was written from the same inspiration. George Orwell, not that you didn't already know that.

Lord of the Flies was disturbing in the least. I'm not looking forward to doing that next year.

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I remember doing a rather "brisk" business reading books for people who didn't want to read them themselves. Lord of the Flies was one of them.

It's all about communism, you know... had the kids been communist, the events had been void :D

(Throwing off bnasty theories)

7. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I'm re-reading The Silmarillion and loving every minute of it. Probably because I have a profoundly deeper understanding and appreciation for the book now that I've matured in my Tolkien Lore. The Valar have just unleashed Melkor into Arda after throwing him on his face and shackling him three ages passed. Meanwhile Feanor is in his prime, about to forge the silmarils. Let the darkening of Aman commence.

8. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

Yes well, animal farm was about communism as well, but look what happened there. They had an ideal world, and they stuffed it. I thought it more to do with human nature than communism.

9. Arabwel

Media:
    See the -> :D ? And What I meant is not that I support communism (which I do not... I support feodalism :D ) but reather, that the book itself conveys a message of "It would have worked had they been communist" or so my father says :D

I need to read more...

(*thud* Quick! She was hit by the CWS!)

10. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I am on the same line of thaught line Arabwel. Animal Farm is not about, why installing a republican Goverment in general is doomed to fail. Animal Farm is about the problem, that when people work together to get rid of a tyrant (the Farmer), they should watchout for the pigs (Stalin).

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I think Baelzebub has "Animal Farm" summed up rather well. Communism is an ideal system on paper, but as soon as human nature gets stirred into the mix, you're hosed. And what is politics except the study of how to manipulate people, anyway?

12. Khelben Gems: 15/31

Servant of the Shard - RA Salvatore
    Absolutely one of the best fantasy books i've ever read and the best of Salvatore!
    Unbelieveable i say!

13. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

:yot: Someone should put Animal Farm and/or 1984 and their interpretations into the Alley. That would propably lead to an interesting discussion. :evil: :angel: :D

14. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

I really should bone up on my communication skills. I agree with Arabwel about the whole Communsism bit in Animal Farm. The second sentence was refering to 'The Lord Of The Flies'. The kids were handed a perfect world and still they reverted to death. It is a real shock to read, because it is so accurate.

And please don't put anything about 1984/Animal Farm in the Alley. It would start a flame war.

PS i know what the :evil: :angel: thing means, but people will get ideas.

15. Arabwel

Media:
    This is slightly going off the topic, but when the movie Animal Farm was aired here I almost fell off my chair laughing when the *vocabulary failure.... person making comments on things-to-be-aired-in-the-future* called it a family movie.... I think they were confusing it with the Babe films :D

Concerning 1984: Orwell was optimistic.

(Yeah, yeah, yesh....)

16. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

Not that I suppose anyone will care, but Inklings originates from a group of people that started a community while they were at Oxford University. Two members... Tolkien and CS Lewis

17. Khelben Gems: 15/31

Sea of Swords - RA Salvatore
    A good read, while not as good as "Servant of the Shard", Salvatore came up with a good scenario unlike "The Silent Blade" and "The Spine of the World" . The rivalry between Bloody Keel and Sea Sprite is great, Sheila Kree and his female stuff are sexy and cool (Bellany :) ). Drizzt was almost dying but I never expected a hero like him to die. (mainly because RAS is gaining million of dollars over him).
    There are stupid facts like ecaping of Jule Pepper or teleporting of Robillard and so...
    If he can teleport with that ease, why not teleport Drizzt and his crew into the room of Kree? and so on...
    But I must that I enjoyed the book.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have just had a glimpse into "The Good Man of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe" ... a gutwrenching book. Rabe was a Siemens representative in Nanking, china, when japan was brutally savaging there in the second half of the 1930s; it's his diary from that time.

19. Khelben Gems: 15/31

The Thousand Orcs - RA Salvatore
    WOWIES! Best Drizzt book ever?
    Probably.
    An unbelievable book, great combat scenes, assault to Shallows is great and the a great visualization of Savage Frontier.
    Never thought that orcs can beat hard!
    Go and get it!
    Fantastic, brilliant, unbelievable,I tell ye!

20. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm reading "The King of Torts" by John Grisham right now. The guy really knows how to build a character! Learning lots on the legal side to ... look out Bel, I might take the LSAT!!! ;) :spin:

VVVVV Joking Down there ;) VVVVV

[ May 19, 2003, 20:27: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.