1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Inuisitor- worth the drawbacks?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Clixby, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think that the Inquiz is one of the Ubers.

Keldorn is a great NPC (if a little annoying).

Take a Cavalier and eventually equip with Caro +5, then recruit Keldorn. If you have the UpGrade mod then try to upgrade Kel's sword as soon as poss.

You then have a truly great frontline. Fit to smite Dragons, Liches and Vamps almsot at will.

:)

2. Die_Bad_Guys Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Both kits are excellent. Keep in mind that Saerilith is a cavalier so you have the two best paladin kits as npcs at your disposal.

Inquis has the awesome dispel magic and true sight, but what really puts them over the top is immunity to hold. Practically every humanoid enemy in the game (and a good deal of the improved undead a la Tactics) cast this spell, and when soloing its either grab Arbanes or be an inquis.

For a party id say Cav is better, the free remove fear and fear immunity ensures that someone will always be able to remove fear the party, and the boni against demons and dragons are nice to have considering they are some of the strongest enemies in the game who come in numbers. Most importantly, is that Carsomyr dispels magic on hit and a thief with detect illusion can replace true sight. I find that the inguis dispel strips away my party buffs as much as it does the enemies, which can be a major problem when you have several fragile companions.

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Except for the fact that detect illusions doesn't have as much range and the thief detecting illusions will only be detecting illusions. An Inquisitor can cast true sight and immediately continue attacking.....with virtually no loss of time whatsoever.

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Originally posted by kuemper:
    I don't know how it works in BG, but a Paladin is supposed to cast using his true level.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

The point blank range is a problem, but if you attack and then click the Detect Traps button (which also activates the Detect Illusions ability), he will keep attacking while simultaneously detecting illusions. I do that every time with a melee thief (F/T, Swashbuckler, etc.) and it works. Wizards have no illusory defense if you do that. It's actually kind of interesting to attack a Mislead and try to detect it at the same time, to see which one will work first.
    Counteroffer: I don't know how it works in BG1, but by PnP, paladins (and rangers) cast at the 9th level of ability at maximum.

6. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

From my own experience, I find that the casting level of a Paladadin only starts increasing after they actually acquire priest spells. I figured this out thanks to Draw Upon Holy Might.

Oh, and for the record, I picked an Inquisitor.

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Draw upon holy might isn't the best example. Since the caster level of a Paladin is half his Paladin level, you won't see an increase in the power of DUHM until your Pally reaches level 12.

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Okay, there are a lot of different "casting theories" in this thread... can anybody offer some real evidence as to which is right?

There's the "Paladin casts at his true level" (mine).

There's the "Paladin casts at level 9 maximum".

And the "Paladin casts at half his level".

9. Felinoid

False. (Or 3e, maybe?)
    True for 2e. The PHB is rather clear on marking it as the maximum casting level.
    How it works in BG2, if I read Drew right. Which would mean it only syncs up with 2e at levels 16 & 18, either level 17 or level 19 (depending on whether it rounds up or down), and possibly level 15 (if it rounds down).

10. Die_Bad_Guys Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

For the equipment discussion, I have found that any neutral alginment thieves can wear Valygars armor. I dont know the stat minumums, so I just use Valygars as the base.

I believe Paladins cast cleric spells at 8 levels below their true level.

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm pretty sure that a paladin's caster level caps at 9.

12. Felinoid

You're both right. In PnP, a paladin's casting level starts at one at 9th level (when he can start casting spells), and then plateaus at nine at 17th level. Maximum casting ability is reached at 20th level where the paladin can cast 3 first level, 3 second level, 3 third level, and 3 fourth level spells at 9th level of ability.

Yes, this is not how BG2 does it. They continue to give spells beyond 20th level, but I have fixed at least that part with my PnP Fixes mod, though I don't yet know how to fix the casting level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.