1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Diablo 2 any fun ...now?

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by chevalier, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Hecate Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think the game play isn't actually fun but incredibly addictive... like smoking. But the real entertainment value seems to lie in player vs. player battles, having to come up with the perfect 'build' of character and best strategies to beat your opponent. Besides, when you win you can loot the character's body for a trophy ear.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

its worth buying. i mean, when you buy it you know that some good hack n slash action is all you're gonna get. i definitely preferred the first one though

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I just bought the game, and I must say Diablo 2 LoD is great fun. The fact that it runs on my ancient fossil that calls itself a computer is a bonus. It will never be BG2 or even IWD2, but sometimes, you just want to point and click for a change. This game will suffice until BG3 comes out.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

haha :p im running diablo1 right now ;)

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Is it worth it for me to get the battlechest set for 28 bucks?
    I've always wanted to try Diablo and this looks like a good price.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

like i said, if you have no illusions and are aware that you're going to be playing a pure hack and slash game, go for it, it'll be fun. I may start playing again soon... i miss finding a random ultra cool unique/rare/set item haha

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Well, it's only like 28 bucks, I figure I'll try it, I've never played a hack n' slash before.(Unless you count IWD)

8. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think it's the best hack 'n slash on the market. In some ways, better then IWD. There the problem wasn't with the rules, it was, IMHO, with the IE. The engine just wasn't meant to make that kind of gameplay engaging and fun. Diablo, on the other hand, was designed from the ground up to be pure F, U, N, fun. No strategy, just lots of killing things and getting loot and leveling up. Oh yeah, and a story that most other RPGs would be proud of. If you don't like it, you'll hate it. If you do like it, you'll probably get addicted to it. And hey, with it being as cheap as it is now, if you do hate it, it's not like you're out an arm and a leg.

edit: I'm with Magistrate; Tyrael has the coolest wings.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Tyrael is the angel right? the one with the wings that look like they're sentient strands?

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

On a background sidenote:

Does anyone still own the original manual from Diablo I? Because that is the proof that this game has some real potential story wise and people thought about it. Thing is they didn't implement it in the game enough. Of course then it would have been a pure RPG and no hack and slash.

*sigh* where are the days that companies included a kick-ass manual with the purchase of a game. Diablo, fallout, warcraft II, Heroes of might and magic II all great added value.

12. Kam Gems: 15/31

Amen! Preach it brother! Bring back the cool manuals!

The story is one element that Blizzard has always done a great job on, imho. They've usually got more twiss then a pretzel factory, and better writing then... some... really well written thing.

Yeah.

That's it.

13. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

@Rednik
    The battle chest is great value - that's what I got. I highly recommend it because the expansion pack really enhances the gameplay.

Manuals: Yeah, custom bound 200 page manuals were fantastic back when people put effort into making them. BG2 had a great ring bound one, Diablo was awesome.

Anyway, on D2, after playing an assassin for a while, I realised it isn't such a simple point and click game! I like the hirelings you can get. I like the music in the original Diablo better though.

14. Rednik Gems: 21/31

ToEE has a big manual, very helpful. But most games these days just give out pamphlets(Cough, Gothic II). Some of them even have their manuals on .pdf files on the disks. How cheap is that?

I love it when the manuals have a big chunk of the back-story and lots of extra info, that's the best. Warcraft III had a lot of that.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

IIRC all the warcraft games did. I particularly remember 2 where they discussed how the orcs united. Gul'Dan and Orgrim Doomhammer were a couple of names iirc, it's been a pretty long time since i played.

16. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Warcraft 1 and 2 had more story in there manuals then warcraft 3. warcraft 1 had the Human History told by Anduin Lothar, and the orcs by Garona the half orc. In warcraft 2 it was Aegwyn (medivh's mother) who told the human history, and Gul'dan who told About the orcs. That is why I generally love Blizzard games, even games like Diablo had a lot of story and rich gameplay.

17. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Since Chev probably has decided whether to buy it or not, and it's going really kinda OT already, I hope noone minds this pseudo-hijacking blurb:

Seems like at least a few SPers still play D2. Does anyone wanna exchange accounts or something, maybe make an SP D2 party...?

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

The Sorcerer's Place Diablo 2 clan. Sounds good. But first I need to play some more - my character is level 6! (Bought the game 2 days ago)

19. Kam Gems: 15/31

I'd love too, but my computer with Diablo 2 AND internet access is back at home, so no SP D2 for me. :(

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] People, get back on topic! Half of this page is a discussion about manuals - open a new topic if you want to discuss that!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.