1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it me or is Nalia useless?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by pyroashani, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Matching Nalia against Edwin and Imoen is unfair since Imoen is a better thief and Edwin is a better mage.

What makes Nalia useful is that she shows up when Imoen goes, she has options uncommon to the average mage, and she has a better selection of starting spells than any character I could name.

Nalia starts with a cloudkill, polymorph self, chromatic orb, web, haste, flame arrow, and fireball IIRC - among others, and if you look at the options these spells can give you tactically you'll find that she's better equipped to handle every situation there is in SoA than any NPC mage there is.

The only spell she misses is Magic Missiles - which is roughly the most common spell scroll in the game.

She also has a very functional ring which gives you one less slot to think about when you're distributing rings on your characters.

2. Elemental DarkLord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Nalia is not very useful in a party...

First, because she's not a good thief compared to Imoen.
    Second, because she's not that good in using bows compared to Imoen.
    Third, she won't survive that far in a thick combat compared to Imoen and has a low hp points.
    Fourth, She's far weaker for a mage than Edwin and can even be surpassed by Imoen's mage abilities.

If i'm to have two girl mages in a party, i would prefer imoen and Aerie than Imoen and Nalia. Priest spells gives huge difference in combats.

And i hate how her Auntie insulted me while saving them in the de'Arnisse hold

[ November 22, 2003, 06:49: Message edited by: Elemental DarkLord ]

3. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think Nalia is the best GOOD mage in the game and should be used and considered as such. Her thieving skills are the worst in the game, but she isn't there to be a thief. Plus as mages go, she can have an excellent AC to prevent getting hit and better hit points provided by her thief levels.

Don't replace her with Imoen, as by the time you get Imoen, Nalia is a good few levels ahead and has learnt many more spells than Imoen.

Imoen should be your thief and would replace Yoshimo for example.

The only reason not to have Nalia is if you take Edwin instead. He is the best mage in the game bar none.

When playing a good party I always take Nalia, she is just awesome. Just don't take her to be a replacement for Imoen as you won't be using her to her full potential.

These issues seem to happen with a lot of NPCs (especially Haer'D and Cernd). If used correctly each of the NPCs can be extremely powerful and useful in almost any party, you just need to learn how to use them properly.

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

yeah, listen to bard

all the npcs can be extremely powerful if used to their potential (yes, even cernd can)

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I hate the arrogant pompus attitude she picks up in ToB. I find Imoen to be better in every way bar a few minor things that don't really matter for a mage (e.g. Strength).
    Besides, Imoen flirts with Keldorn and brings the poor man to shame :)

6. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't like Nalia's attitude. She is just so annoying. Well, Imoen too is a little annoying. All she ever does is whine about everything. And you really can't compare Imoen or Nalia to Edwin. It all depends on the alignment. Imoen and Nalia are on the same line, so you _could_ compare them, but why bother.
    What Rastor said about those spell and their prime requisite is true. Minsc can use ranger spells with his 8 wisdom, when rules say that you need at least 10 (or was it 11) wisdom to cast level 1 spells.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.