1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jan vs. Imoen for ToB

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Devlish, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] @ Earl Grey
    Sorry about that. I obviously didnt pay attention while sifting through the threads. :o
    Just thought that it is an interesting debate... BTW, people dont seem to mind. :p

2. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Mages can learn and cast all spells of all levels. The only restriction is based on intelligence and is the maximum number of spells you can learn for that level: maximum of 11 with INT of 16, 14 at 17 and 18 at 18, with an INT of 19 or higher there is no such restriction and you can learn all you want, which is what potions of genius are for.

It's not true that Jan can only gain one level 10 spell, since he can take such spell when he advances in any of his classes, which means that when he rises a level as a thief, he can take one 10th level spell. He does have his limitations that he doesn't get a lot of high level spells he can cast each day.

As a pure mage Imoen is superior, but Jans thieving abilities are obviously better. It's up to you what you prefer.

3. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I found that later in the game, the importance of thieving abilities diminished drastically. By this, I mean the actual pick-pocketing/lockpicking/trap-finding stuff. For backstab/hide-in-shadows/set-traps, they continue to be important, but in a combat sense, for which there are other alternatives (magic use, hard-hitting melee combat, etc.).

So, I regard the thieving side of Jan less important, and Imoeon would easily suffice. Given Imoens better mage-performance, that makes her a better choice on paper.

However, I found Imoens dual-classing to mage inconsistant with the BG1 Imoen-concept. Also, I found that Imoen was annoying and had an annoying attitude, so I kicked her out and kept on Jan. Much more fun... and that is what the game is about, right?

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Jan has a better THAC0 than Immy, and he's always had tons of spells -- by the end of the game he doesn't run out. Plus, he can use all sorts of cool items (I like to equip him with a wand of the heavens) with his HLA, and he can also set some wickedly good traps, too. I mean, you give him Carsomyr, the ring of Gaxx, and a few other goodies and he has really high MR, from which protection he can cast some wicked spells.

While I love Immy dearly, and often bring her along because I like spellcasters, Jan is more versatile -- and funnier!

5. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I can't stand Jan. He's my least favorite character. He's rude, cowardly, and his selection sounds are way too long. And did I mention that he's rude? Besides, I really like Imoen. Jan's a better thief, but Imoen's a better mage. Mages are cooler than thieves. I multi-classed her to mage in BG1 as soon as she could pick locks and find traps well; I think she even looked more like a mage than a thief in that game.

As you can see, my opinion in this matter is completely prejudiced and has nothing to do with statistics or getting through the game more easily. I just take the people I like along, and it works darn well. The game is wonderfully balanced.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'll not deny he's rude, but cowardly? Sorry to challenge you, but what evidence in the storyline makes you say that? EVERY character will run in they are of low enough level and get hurt badly enough, though I've never seen it happen in BG2.

7. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I've just taken Jan Jansen right through SOA and TOB and can give some definitive answers:
    • Jan can cast 9th level spells despite having 16 INT.
    • All multi-class characters get HLAs when they go above 3 million XP. However, at 3 million XP, Jan is a 14th level mage and the only mage HLA available is an extra 6th level spell.
    • Assuming you've got a six person party and do absolutely everything, you'll hit 6 million XP right at the very end at which point Jan finally gets to cast 9th level spells.
    • Imoen's thief skills are perfectly adequate for TOB, particularly if you have the rings of Lock Picking and Danger Sense from SOA. There are some traps under Saradush castle that she can't remove, but then neither could Jan.
    • Jan misses out on necromantic spells which are the only ones that can damage most of the creatures in TOB (e.g. Skull Trap, Horrid Wilting).
    • Imoen misses out on the traps. The Spike Trap in particular does obscene amounts of damage to everything and makes some of the tougher fights in TOB much easier. If Melissan is going to be so stupid as to appear in the same place four times, why not leave a few spike traps down for her? These traps depend on the thief's Set Traps ability.
    There is, of course, no good reason why you can't take both. If you want high level traps and don't want to take Jan along, Haer'dalis can set them too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.