1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LDS Baptising dead Jews

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by dmc, Mar 9, 2012.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

DMC, I wouldn't be any more upset than I would if a Catholic purchased a Mass Card for me, or Lit a candle for my soul. I wouldn't get bent out of shape.

BTA: No, not exactly. The soul lives on immediately after death. It can go to one of two places, Paradise or Spirit Prison. Those who have accepted the Gospel in this life are in Paradise. Those who have not are in Spirit Prison (as in the scripture I mentioned earlier) Once a baptism is performed, the person in prison is given to opportunity to accept the Gospel or tell the offerer to go bugger himself. If it is accepted, then he is allowed to move into Paradise.

Mormon doctrine also says that those in Paradise are going to be ministering to those in prison, just as Christ did, which means even after I die, God is still going to expect me to work!

After the Second Coming of Christ and all that entails, there will be a final judgement, wherein final determinations of the soul's destination will be determined. Said judgement will be done by God, who is perfect and knows the deepest corners of our heart, so as Claudius says:

Hope that helps. please note I use Shakespeare in an illustrative manner, his texts are not considered part of the LDS theological canon ;)

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You're right. However, someone who is Christened/Baptised/whatever can reject that later on in life.
    I don't approve of infant circumcision as it's irreversible but on the other hand, a lot of people get circumcised for different reasons, not just religion.

The original post says that these people were Jewish in life, not that they had no faith. That is what I find disrespectful. If you want to convert someone then have the balls to do it when they can answer back. Waiting until they are dead is just desperate :lol:

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It's funny, a relative contemporary of early Christianity said something similar, saying that Christ was so hard up he had to go to hell to get converts! Wish I could remember the guy who said that.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, a lot of the brouhaha amongst the Jews concerns the fact that the people who a being posthumously baptised happened to have been killed because the were Jews -- y'know, that Holocaust thing. The living ones think this is really disrespectful of the dead one. YMMV.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't see any harm in doing this, but I do find it presumptuous, in a "WhoTF do you think you are" kind of way. I mean I know you have the "One true path*", just like everyone else who follows a religion, but no thanks.

*I do not intend for this to sound completely snarky, but I believe Joseph Smith was a charlatan, which obviously colors my opinion on the subject. That said, I find just about all religions to be pretty nutty, so it's not just the LDS. Although I do have to concede that I find Mormonism to be a religion served with an extra serving of peanuts.

Taluntain likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.