1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for elusive items

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by angryguy, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I thought the mage in the village where you find Valygar wore a robe of the neutral archmagi; as in the guy who disapproves of his daughter's boyfriend and hires you to help complete his golem. Obviously you have to kill him or let the golem squish him to get it (I dont think you can pickpocket it) but I'm certain that's where it is.

2. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thanks will, i'll be sure to try that... although i dont have a neutral mage. Now i can't find any scrolls of contingency.... item upgrade is so frustrating.

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Will -

That mage always beats the golem. Casts Black Blade of Disaster and whomps him.

Anyway, if you want a Robe of the Neutral Archmagi, then CLUA one in and edit out the 12 grand or whatever.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @Mystra: Killing him with Black Bade is so evil. Besides, the mage won't always beat the golem - not if you give the golem a little help from the sideline. Just keep healing him and he'll do the job for you :D

5. angryguy Gems: 7/31

He does not carry a robe, i just tested it. i kept casting dispel magic to make him lose any buffs, the golem finished him easy. So... any ideas where to look now?
    i actually have tactics installed with the ritual (theres a neutral robe in it somewhere), but that is just a joke. Anyone who has played it will know what i mean.
    Just upgraded a buckler to cast false dawn twice per rest- whats the difference between false dawn and sunray?

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    False dawn has a fancier name :)

IIRC, one is more powerful than the other against undead. I think it's False Dawn.

Easiest thing to do would be to check the manual, if none of your mages can cast the spells. If they can, the answer is but a right-click away.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Sunray is way more powerful against the undead. It'll do over 1000 damage to certain undead nasties.

8. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Dont have a manual, sorry. I know i can download it somewhere but i never feel like doing it. I had noticed the 1000 damage thing from sunray- whats that all about? It is a bit cheesy, in a way. But ho. Such is BG.

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Sunray:
    enemies - 3-18
    undaed - 1-6 per lel of caster and save vs. death or be destroyed (thats the 1000+ dmg.)

False Dawn:
    undead - 6d6 no save

10. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Don't go clouding the issue with evidence, Stu. :) Anway, False Dawn also confuses undead for one round, no save. That can be pretty handy. I find it interesting that there is no save against the damage from either spell listed in the manual, though. I am pretty sure I've seen undead take half damage from my sunrays.

11. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Eric X, how would you know? Either they take 1000+ (no halves there) or 1D6 per level, in which case you could just 'roll badly'. Unless it says 'save vs spell' in the text bar, dont believe it.

12. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

How would I know? By reading it in the text bar, how else? In case anyone else didn't understand my post, I'll repeat: I am pretty sure I've seen (meaning, read it in the text bar) undead take half damage from my sunrays. If someone can make a specific objection to this (with, like, uh, evidence), I'm happy to change my position. But simply disagreeing with me in a condescending tone just puts me in a pissy mood.

13. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    On the topic of where to find the Robe of the Neutral Archmagi.
    Have you tried the bonus merchants?
    Or if you want, you can kill Terminsel for one.

I've also seen undead take half-damage from my sunrays. There is more to BG2 than what appears in the text bar. :D

IMHO the fact that sunray can do 1000+ damage when the description says it can only do 1D6 can be counted as evidence against the manual.

[ October 31, 2004, 04:20: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

14. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This all seems to be veering well off topic.

15. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Apologies Eric, i thought you had just seen low rolls and assumed there was a save. My bad.
    In fact i tested it against a lich- save vs spell does appear. This was using daystar though, i dunno whether that is different.

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

My bad for getting pissy, it'd been a frustrating day. Let's kiss and make up. :) By the way, you hijacked your own thread.

17. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Yeah, i have a name for doing that on several other forums. Hijacking my thread, that is, not kissing and making up. If noone hijacked threads we'd never get anywhere.

So, to anyone still remotely interested, whats the best way to beat undead?

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Improved Mace of Disruption, in either Minsc or Anomen's hand.

19. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Best = most efficient? Then it can't get any simpler or more effective than good ol' turn undead. If you're not high enough level, then slap improved haste on Minsc and let him rip with the IMoD.

But as I mentioned in another thread, the BEST way to kill undead is for a cleric/mage to CC 3 sunrays. Come on, how is that not awesome?

20. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Turning undead requires a pause before it works, but i will agree it is effective. Any idea what levels are needed to turn different things?

CC with 3 sunrays is nice but requires vast amounts of experience, Tob, or a wasted scroll.

IMod is nice too, dual wielded with daystar for preference. Does daystar's variable enchantment actually work? I've heard it doesnt.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.