1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings Party

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shrike00, May 7, 2001.

1. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

About the no armour heavier than elven chain bit. Frodo had mithril armour right from the start, and you don't get mithril elven chain until really late. Maybe you should shadowkeep it onto him.

2. Bilbo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Yeah right and give Gandalf Glamdring, Frodo a very powerful dagger called sting, and an elvenring, I think that all would make it a little bit too easy huh Ironbeard. The party has too be like LOTR, not the story ;)

Maybe you can use shadowkeeper too give Gandalf a blue Hat :)

4. Avooch Dar Guest

[​IMG] Gandalf should definetly be made about 25 level sorcerer and Frodo should be a Halfling Fighter theif then he can't get too good.
    Maybe you should up some of the stats as well.
    Gandalf should have major wisdom and intelligence while strider should have low charisma.you will have to up the difficulty levels or you will not get a challenging game out of it.

PS. if you started in multiplayer without editing the characters would that still count as cheating?

5. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Gandalf - Mage (Dual him from fighter if you want him to use sword) (High Level)
    Aragorn - Ranger (the prototype thereof, though Stalker might also fit) (High Level)
    Boromir - Fighter (Mid Level)
    Legolas - Archer (Mid Level)
    Gimli - Berserker (it fits with his character) (Mid Level)
    Peregrin - Fighter (Low Level)
    Merry - Fighter (Low Level)
    Frodo - Fighter/Thief (Most in move silently) (Low Level)
    Samwise - Cook ... but I guess fighter (Low Level)

Pick from these and you might start them off like this from a level point of view. Middle-earth is not a high magic place, (under 20 magic users in the whole land) and most items will not be that awesome from a BG2 point of view.

MHO

6. Lothar Gems: 5/31

I don't see why everyone is saying that Gandalf should be so high in level. Although he is certainly a powerful wizard, I can't remember any especially powerful spells he cast. And a 25 lvl mage/sorcerer should easily be able to destroy the (demon-thing on bridge in Moria) with spells, instead of falling with it. Ah well.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Gandalf IS very powerful, he's a Maia just like Sauron so don't underestimate it.
    But his powers aren't only in his spellcasting but most of his power lays in his Wisdom. But he also CAN cast spells (like The flames from his hand in Pelannor)

And Gandalf defeated the Balrog, and I think a lvl 25 mage will not be able top defeat the Balrog of Moria. But Lord of the Rings and Baldur's Gate 2 is very different so you can't just say Gandalf is lvl 25 or something, that are just two things that are totally different.

8. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

make gandalf a dwarf

9. Nakar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If any of the hobbits (halflings) are thieves, it's going to be Sam... he did a lot of sneaking around in Mordor, and he was the one who hit Shelob in the belly with Sting... and that's a "backstab" or "sneak attack" if I've ever heard of one.

10. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Avooch Dar, I think your confusing charisma with physical appearance when you suggest that Aragorn had a low charisma. Quite the contrary, he had a high charisma which brings me to my point; I think Aragorn was as much Paladin as Ranger. Lay on hands seems to be taken right from his character and to a lesser extent detect evil and protection from evil.

As for Gandalf, he is, as Headbanger points out, a Maiar as was the Balrog he fought at the bridge. Tolkien's use of magic was much more subtle than that used in Dungeons and Dragons but that doesn't mean it is weak. One of the rules that guided the Istari (wizards like Gandalf, Radagast and Saruman) was that they use counsel as opposed to force. Remember when the Valar last went to battle against Morgoth the world was nearly destroyed.

I don't really think it is possible to form a character class to describe Gandalf or Frodo for that matter. Seems to me that the person who named Bard as the class for Frodo probably came the closest.

11. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Aragorn IS a ranger, there can be no doubt. Rangers also have higher cha than other classes, so he FITS to this class.

12. Lareth Amunjo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

OK, here is my opinion:

Frodo: Skald(He sings and fights)

Gandalf: Kensai/Mage(He's using sword but no armor,and he is mage,definetly.)

Aragorn: Ranger(well,he IS Ranger in the book and ranger can cast druidic spells,so won't this do fine?)

Legolas: Elven Archer(can anybody deny it?)

Gimli: Dwarvish Berserk(he is quite berserk person, and fighter too.)

Boromir: Human Fighter(I think he is too proud of himself for a paladin.)

Faramir: Paladin(He does nothing wrong during the Book.)

Sam: Thief(he does thief's job while rescuing Frodo from Tower of Cirith Ungol)

Pippin&Merry: Fighter/Thief(They fight'n'hide)

Eomer: Fighter,maybe paladin(Book speaks for himself)

Eowyn: Fighter/Cleric(There are something Clerical in her, don't ya think so?)

Galadriel: Elven Sorceress(definetly.)

Now, there's some characters...

13. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Tin Man, there IS doubt because, while they are quite literaly called a Ranger by Tolkien himself, he was created BEFORE AD&D and wasn't designed to fit into the balance of an adventure game. I'm just saying that many of the characters in the Lord of the Rings are not easily put into AD&D character classes. Gandalf witnessed the creation of the world, how do you put him into a simple character class?

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Gimli a berserker? No way. Then you don't know the differences between a dwarf and a beserker, what Gimli did is natural and doesn't have something to do with beserking.

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

On Gandalf:

I just started IWD and made a "young Gandalf" character. I started him as a fighter and Dualed him to mage at 2nd level.

Amazing benefits: He can use long swords in hand to hand combat; he had a great jump on initial hit points (10 instead of 4); and in the long run, will not be any lesser of a mage because of this.

For the Frodo dilemma, either make him a bard, or dual classed fighter/theif.

Remember, in making a group like this to start, you're going to have some "dis-similarity" to the books. ie. Gandalf and Frodo will be relatively the same levels. The point is that you mirror their basic personalities.

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Gandalf should be a figher/mage with wisdom 25.... if realy want to make it a little bit realistic.

17. Lareth Amunjo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

HeadBanger, I didn't mean that Gimli won't be like a Real Berserk. I just thought that it fitted. Gimli uses no missile weapons, and fights with joy, so I thought that Berserk would do fine.

18. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think Gimli could fit Berserker as well as he fits fighter. I don't understand all this about Gandalf being a fighter though; when did he ever use a sword?

19. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Gandalf carried the elvish sword Glamdring. He used it in the hobbit and carried it from the start of the Fellowship til the end of the trilogy.

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Indeed, Glamdring was forged in the first Era in the hidden city Gondolin. The sword disappeared and later Gandalf found it along with Orcrist in a troll-cave. After that day, he always travelled Glamdring untill he left Middle Earth. Orcrist was given to Thorin en lays now with him in his grave. Glamdring glowed blue when orcs were near and glittered with an intense white light when Gandalf fought the Balrog in Moria.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited May 12, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.