1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mad Mel

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    True enough. My point is that feeling a certain way about something and thinking a certain thing about the afforementioned something are not quite the same thing. I might feel that all telemarketers are purposefully aiming to call me _right_ as dinner starts or my 2 year old takes off his diaper and starts smearing **** on the wall, but, intellectually, I will recognise that my feelings on the matter are false. Recognizing that my feelings are not accurate won't make me any less pissed, however, when a telemarketer calls while I'm busy trying to clean poo off the wall and bathe my son at the same time with my seven year old singing a song about chocolate, lemonade, and where milk is made in the background.

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

It appears that the L.A. County Sheriffs department is denying the claims made in the original TMZ report posted by Tal...and CNN has been unable to verify them. (News story)

Mel's always had a problem with drinking...it's no secret...It's happened to him more than once...but it looks like if anyone had a motive it was whoever released the original, unsubstantiated reports.

When the powerful or infuential fall, there's always money to be made. Wake up people...or better yet, let me take your tickets.

Can anyone tell me what about "The Passion of the Christ" was anti semitic?

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Hack: Abraham Foxman, the National Direction of the Anti-Defamation League, explains it very well. Anti-semitism in "The Passion of the Christ"

And no, I never saw the movie, simply because I didn't think it would be good use of my entertainment budget.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The four words mentioned in that article, "The Jews Killed Christ" are not accurate.

Pontius Pilate, who sentences him to death, was a Roman, as were the Centurions who actually nailed Him to the Cross.

Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him to the Romans, was one of his disciples, and thus a Christian.

Sure, the Scribes and Pharisees did conspire against him, but to blame all Jews for that is like blaming all Muslims for 9/11.

Blaming the Jews for the Death of Christ is simply an innacurate fallacy to dupe those of low intelligence into supporting hatred against another segment of the population. I guess nobody here is accusing Mel Gibson of excessive intelligence...

5. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

He is simply another loser that cannot take responsibility for his actions and using the age old excuse of 'it was the drink talking'. He is only asking the Jewish community for help to save his ass.

No matter how drunk I have been, I have never called a black man a 'nigger'. Anti-semitic remarks come from bigots and racists.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Gnarff, if you're not aware of the vast history of anti-Semitism that was justified under those four words - as inaccurate as they may be - you have a lot to catch up on. Proclaiming those words as untrue doesn't sweep under the rug all the evil that was carried out in their "Cause".

7. nunsbane

nunsbane

I'm with Fabius Maximus on this one: In vino veritas. It's completely inaccurate to say that you say things that you don't mean when you're intoxicated...in an inebriated state is the only time that many people ever lose enough inhibition to say what they really think. Alcohol has given us a candid look at Mel's true feelings. And he should suffer what consequences come. Even if I thought his apology was sincere and not self-serving (I don't) he still said it and must take responsibility.

Gnarff, It is true that Judas was a christian not a Jew. And it is true that the men who actually nailed Jesus to the cross were Roman. However, Pontius Pilate acted at the behest of the mob which the chief priests and elders (Jews) whipped into a frenzy and convinced them to have Barabbas released and Jesus destroyed.

Pilate protested when the crowd called for Jesus to be crucified saying: "Why, what evil hath he done." But the crowd cried out louder: "Let Him be crucified."

When Pilate realized that the crowd would have it no other way, he took water, washed his hands and said: "I am innocent of the blood of this just person." Then the mob answered: "His blood be on us and on our children."

Pilate could not find reason and did not want to crucify Jesus, it was only at the insistence of the chief priests and elders that Jesus was crucified. The Jews were at least partially responsible as far as the Bible states.

Just for the record, I am of average intelligence and do not hate nor support hate of any segment of the population. And, of course, I agree with you 100% that not all Jews should be blamed for the actions of a relative few.

8. Gnarfflinger

Rally, You're right, it doesn't sweep it under the rug, but I was calling Anti-Semites (sp?) a bunch of f***ing idiots...

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Mel, Mel, Mel. What a fruitcake. To be fair though he wasn't saying it on TV or anything. It was while he was piss drunk and it was to a police officer. Not the smartest thing to do when you're famous, but hey he can say what the hell he wants. It's the land of free speech right?

10. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

And of course we only have christian accounts of this, written after the fact, by at least a generation by people who weren't interested in recording historical truth but the canonisation of their faith.

11. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What's even more - we have the Christians of Rome telling the story, who were quite happy to denounce the Roman responsibility for Jesus' execution and place the blame with the Jews.

I heard P. Pilatus was infamous for his hate for the Jews. Iirc he got demoted later on for some attrocity or other. It is unlikely that this man let the Jews decide the fate of a man he perceived as a threat to Rome's rule.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    And don't forget that the Biblical account of events describes Jews as doing things that would never, ever happen on Erev Pesach.

13. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well lookie lookie, there goes Mel Gibson, down the drain like dirty hookah water!
    Seriously, I doubt his popularity will remain the same after this.
    But anyways, I seem to recall that he was accused of being a terrorist just a little while ago. But did they have any truth basis in the end?

14. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I should have been back earlier to check this thread after my previous post. I wanted to believe that Gibson wasn't as much of an idiot as he appeared to be and I defended him. Alas, he's shown himself to be a drunk and an idiot...and holding on to some very spooky hates.

I also appreciate the comments concerning how a "Christian" account of the crucifixion can feel rather anti-semitic to a Jew. I don't know if I necessarily agree, but it's given me things to think about. The Scriptures have always made a handly mallet for the prejudiced or ignorant to bash their group of choice...but that doesn't inherently make the Bible anti-[fill in the blank].

Of course, as with any issue what becomes critical is how it feels when it bumps into your own nose.

Again, my apologies for trying to defend Gibson. I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs.

15. Gnarfflinger

If Gibson seriously blames the Jews for Christ's death, then perhaps he really doesn't understand His divine mission. It was foreordained that Christ would die for our sins, and likely Christ knew coming in to this life that it would be in perhaps the most painful way imaginable. To pin it on one segment of the population is just stupid. But then again, that's the concensus about Mel...

16. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Is Gibson anti-Semitic? Just watch his movie if you want an answer. Two plus hours of pretty obvious anti-Semitism and untrammeled sadism. True, in the first few minutes a couple of Jews run in to object to the proceedings, and are just as quickly pitched out, leaving Gibson free to pursue his fantasies, most recently spouted on a public highway in the middle of the night.

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I still fail to see why this is newsworthy. So some guy hates Jews when he's drunk or something... who cares?

I hate AIDS... can I be in the news now?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.