1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Making a FAQ/Guide for Blades

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Scythesong Immortal, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There's no change on the levels in between.

23 5 5 5 4 4 3
    24 5 5 5 5 4 3
    28 5 5 5 5 5 3
    30 5 5 5 5 5 4
    38+ 5 5 5 5 5 5

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Scythesong: Thank YOU for making this guide. I started up a game with a Blade as I told you and the guy ROCKS! I've finished almost all of Chapter 2 except the Planar Sphere and the Astral Prison... that and Firkraag. I'm soloing the guy, so right now, he's at lvl 20 and I'm loving him! I have no idea why I didnt play a Blade before.

Thanks,btw, for the tables... they were much appreciated! :) :)

3. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    The Guide is finished. :)
    Thanks to everyoine for the comments and suggestions, and to Sparhawk for the additional figures. ;)

Btw,
    you're welcome Faraaz. Enjoy your game.

4. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You have 2 level 23s in your spell progression list. I posted 23 since your original was different to the one I had.

5. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Aye, thanks. This is the final version, I think. :D

6. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Scyth I think your forgetting the half-elves spell progression.

My half elf Blade can go up to seven spells per level, six level 7 spells and 2 level 8 spells.

however wether this is because of my BG2 official upgrade patch or not I'm not sure

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    I think I can safely say it isn't - because then, the Blade will surpass being overpowered. :)
    But if it is...
    I'd be very happy if you tell me what patches/mods you have installed.

8. casey Gems: 15/31

The only mods and patches I have have no effect whatsoever on the Blade. he's the same for me without mods, the only patch I have is 2tob_26498_eng Patch and this half elf Blade I was refering to had 18 int and wis, so that might be it try starting a new game with a half elf Blade and those stats in case it's just me.

EDIT: I just remembered that I have the un-nurfed spell progression with the ease mod is that the reason?

9. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    That must be it... all my Blades are Half-elf with 18 int/wis (19 in ToB) and I have the official patch, but not the higher spell levels.

Well, no use mentioning the ease-of-use-mod in the guide, I guess. Like I said, being able to cast spells of higher than 6th levels will destroy the fun in the kit.
    That's like giving sorcerers access to wild magic.

10. casey Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] I don't think it's any more over powered then the normal blade who could probably make the Demogorgon piss himself with fear :p

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

How do you make Demogorgon piss himself with fear? I tried taking him out after buffing myself... and I was dualweilding Foebane +5 with Blackrazor +3... but his demons kept demolishing me till in the end I got him with about 7 Spike Traps... he he... that was fun... but to get back to the topic at hand, HOW do you make him piss himself with fear?

12. casey Gems: 15/31

I just summoned magical swords to distract him and cast some of those level 8 lower MR spell's (can't remember the name) with scroll's and wand's and cast some simulacrum's and used valiher's helm knocked his resistance down to 0 cast Greater Malison and started raining spell's like ADHW on him.

13. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Nice post. Here are a couple of corrections:
    • The Answerer longsword is found on Janis Tombelthen in the battle at the Oasis, not in Watcher's Keep.
    • You say "at least one point on the weapon of your choice". A blade may only put one point in any weapon anyway so this is superfluous.
    • In your list of useful belts, I think you forgot to include the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength as there's an orphaned "Adventurer's Mart" line.
    • Chaos, confusion and emotion work on all creatures, not just humanoids.
    A blade may find it useful to take proficiency points in both scimitars and short swords so they can dual wield Belm and Kundane for a base four attacks per round. For those creatures that need +3 weapons to hit, you can easily acquire a +3 shortsword (Shortsword of Backstabbing) by completing the Mae'var's Guild quest. You can also buy a +3 wakizashi (scimitar proficency) from one of the bonus merchants.

Alternatively, take a point in daggers. Kundane in the offhand and Pixie Prick (Planar Prison) in the main effectively gives you two attacks with Pixie Prick, which can send your enemies to sleep. If you have good strength enhancement (Belt of Hill Giant Strength + Draw Upon Holy Might), you'll still a do a decent amount of damage. The Firetooth Dagger (drow merchant) is an extremely effective weapon, equivalent to a +3 bastard sword with additional fire damage.

Other very good spells, levels 1-6:
    • Horror: great for thinning enemy ranks.
    • Glitterdust: blinds large numbers of enemies at once (-10 THACO).
    • Resist Fear: essential if attempting to solo, still very useful in a party.
    • Hold Undead: same comments as hold person / monster. There are lots of undead.
    • Remove Magic: more useful to the soloing blade than dispel magic.
    • Feeblemind: an enemy that fails its save is as good as dead since you can hack it to pieces at your leisure.
    • Phantom Blade: since you're going to be mixing it a lot with undead creatures, you might as well do +10 per hit damage to them.
    • Sunfire: better for the solo caster than either fireball, lightning bolt or skull trap.
    • True Sight: essential if you don't have anybody else capable of casting it.

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    I see I still haven't weeded out all the errors. :)
    Thanks, Chris.

But I purposely left out some of the specifics in order to encourage the potential Blade-user to think for himself, and develop other tactics.

There are too many options for me to write here (otherwise, the text will probably be just as long as a guide to every other kit there is) so I had to give way. Maybe I'll put in details later, but right now I'm a bit too busy. ;)
    Your spells suggestions are very welcome, though.

[ November 27, 2003, 04:02: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.