1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Making a mod

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by kuemper, Mar 9, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:( I did something bad. I made a halforc barbarian, followed the tutorial at CoM and tried to install. Royal wtf. I posted my debug file there and hopefully, someone will be kind enough to tell me what happened.

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Oh my, don'T let this fact discourage you, I am sure wise guys here will help you, hold on!

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I got a couple of (experienced) modders opinions that my NPC *did* install. So...off to play... :eek: :wail: House o' Irenicus awaits me! Dang, how fast can I get through that? :hmm:

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

See I told you, you will be succesful eventually!

Can you tell us a little about that half-orc barbarian of yours?

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] You've been waiting for a whole week and here he is! Gargh is a halforc, CE barbarian you find in the Copper Coronet. He has:

-No voicing!
    -No banters!
    -No quests!

Here are four screenshots of my first test run with DBG installed. I fell asleep playing the start without DBG. :o :lol:
    Gargh is waiting for you
    Jaheira is the bravest and talks to Gargh
    Gargh's stats
    Str 19
    Dex 18
    Con 19
    Int 9
    Wis 10
    Cha 8
    2 Handed Swords **
    Halberds **
    Long bows **
    Gargh's stuff
    +2 halberd
    +2 long bow
    5 potions of extra healing
    1 potion storm giant str
    helm of charm protection
    periapt of life protection (+3 vs. death)
    boots
    40 +1 arrows
    40 +2 arrows
    normal arrows

Problems so far:
    -he moves very slowly as though heavily encumbered
    -his boots are unremoveable
    -his normal arrows look weird
    -his greeting script is what you'd get via a multiplayer game and not what I wrote it to be

Still, I'm all :banana: :banana: :banana: Sorry the pictures are so tiny, but that's the biggest Photobucket makes 'em.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Right, I'm also making an NPC mod... do I need to make a new game if I want the NPC to show up? And, how do I add banters?

EDIT: Tomorrow, I am going to have plenty of other questions, so stay tuned :p

[ March 19, 2006, 07:22: Message edited by: Saber ]

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

AFAIK, you need to start a new game. I will help as best I can, but my questions are still unanswered - how to add banters, add quests, get voicing in, etc.

8. Saber

Hmmm... well, I don't need him in my current game, so thats fine... I'll make a new one to test him.

How do I make it so he initiates dialogue? Not the initial joining dialogue, but afterwards?

EDIT: Fixed my NearInfinity Problem.

EDIT: When using NI for portraits, how come it only gives me a few portraits? What about the ones I downloaded from this site? It won't let me put those in... how can I import them?

[ March 19, 2006, 20:11: Message edited by: Saber ]

9. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

@saber-

Put them in the override folder, then look for them w/ NI on the folder!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  10. Saber

Could I just do it in IE before I convert the CHR file to a CRE file?

EDIT: No

I can't do that... Kuemp (or anybody), how did you do this part? For me, it is a long list of things, none of which are A#TNO, the file that she wants me to put in there. I can't type it in... should I "edit as string"?

EDIT: ARGH! Where's Fel when you need him?

[ March 19, 2006, 22:17: Message edited by: Saber ]

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I have that problem, too. Here's how to put in your dialogue:
    Then type in K#John (or NPC's name) and hit the Enter key!!! I always forget to hit Enter, meaning I have to go back and do junk over again. :o

Banters - I haven't gotten than far yet. My third NPC may have them. I'm checking CoM daily and bothering them with questions.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Sorry bud, but I can't help with modding. Well, I could tell you what needs to be in the final product, but I couldn't tell you how to get there.

13. Saber

Thanks Kuemp :)

And for banter, this is what I've found in my brief searches:

http://modlist.pocketplane.net/index.php?ax=list&cat_id=119

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=61.0

EDIT: I am using them, but they don't tell me how to talk to the PC... Any help? My NPC requires some talking to to reveal his past...

And, does anyone know how I can find out the names of specific dialogue, so I can make interjections?

Two more things: For the bio, I didn't find a TNO.BIO file... how do I edit his bio? Will the mod work if I dont?

And: If I install my mod, and play a game that is currently in progress, I know I wont get him in there, but will the game crash whenever I go into the CC?

Also, I am trying to make items, but the explainations tell me that I need DLTCEP, which I can't download, because the site tells me that it doesn't exist...

EDIT: Ah, Kuemp, this is what I was talking about, not the dialogue script:
    The Override Script can't be typed into...

[ March 20, 2006, 05:55: Message edited by: Saber ]

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31

It'll work with that. And you are way ahead of me for things. I keep finding cursed items in SK, so I have to schlep on back and try to pry it off their bodies.

The only way I know of is to play your game with your NPC mod installed and see what happens. I'm doing that constantly now, but I shudder when I need to make banters. :outta:

15. Saber

I've made a few banters so far... I'm just not sure if they will work. I have put them into my A#TNO.d file, so that I won't have to add in more lines of compiling stuff into my .tp2. Hopefully that will work.

If you want to make some simple banters, The Road to Banter (by Blue) is really nice. She leaves out a few explainations here and there, but with a little fiddling, we can figure it out.

And if you figure out what the banter code for the PC, please let me know :) I have been looking into other mods' folders, and right now, I think it is "Myself," but I'm not sure if you need it to be BMyself, or what.

EDIt: Can somebody who makes NPC mods help us, please?

And kuemp, you're saying that I can Edit the override as a string? I know it is possible, but is that what she wants us to do?

[ March 20, 2006, 18:26: Message edited by: Saber ]

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, that's the only way I was able to get my script in the Override Script box. Otherwise, it was Multi.

17. Saber

Alright, I tried to install my mod, but I have a few problems. When installing, WeiDU brings up:

[trigger list near line 39, column 25 of TNO\A#TNO.d] PARSE WARNING at line 39 cloumn 21-21
    Near Text: >
    [NumTimesTalkedGT] not found in TRIGGER.IDS

[TNO\A#BTNO.d] PARSE ERROR at line 64 column 1-3
    Near Text: END
    syntax error

[TNO\A#BTNO.d] ERROR at line 64 column 1-3
    Near Text: END
    Parsing.parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [TNO\A#BTNO.d]: Parsing.parse_error
    ERROR: compiling [TNO\A#BTNO.d]!
    Stopped installation because of error.

Now, can anyone explain to me:
    1. Why NumTimesTalkedGT(0) is bad? That is exactly what the tutorial says to do.
    2. What is parsing?
    3. Why is it screwing me over?
    4. The text that is having an error is at the end of an APEND... so I put two ENDs, one in column 64, on in 65. What is wrong with that?

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

1. Because the command is NumTimesTalkedToGT(0). :)
    2. Parsing is the computer working to turn these into actual game files that can be used, IIRC.
    3. See #1. It can't understand you, so it can't convert it.
    4. I wouldn't know. But often when there's a error in a particular block of code it'll cascade other errors because the code no longer makes any sense with the first erroneous part omitted. Fix the GT command and see what it does then.

19. Saber

Thanks Fel for numbers 1-3... 4 is still occuring though. I'll keep investigating.

Could it be that I have the banters in a different file than the regular dialogue? I told the .tp2 to compile both. The regular dialogue (meeting) is in A#TNO.d and the banter is in A#BTNO.d.

20. Razfallow Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

4. It´s hard to say what is the problem, I would have to see entire .d file.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.