1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Making a mod

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by kuemper, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Alrighty, I PMed you the entire A#BTNO.d script...

Does anyone know... how can I control when banter occurs, or at least which banter occurs first? Is it in the order that I write it in the .d file?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Bioware's banter files use special variables to determine which one occurs first. Sarevok's conversations with the PC, for example, are controlled by the "ExpSarevokB10" global variable. It starts at 0, and when the first banter triggers normally, the very next line of the dialogue sets the variable to 1. The first banter will never happen again because it had a condition of that variable being 0, and the next banter has a condition of that variable being 1. So the second banter requires it to be 1 and then raises it to 2, and the third banter requires it to be 2 and raises it to 3 (at which point none of them will ever happen again). You can do the same thing with a global variable of your own, and can string out as many linear banters as you like.

3. Saber

OK, I installed him, but when I approach him (this is in a new game), he doesn't have a name, and I can't talk to him. Whats wrong? Kuemp, has this happened to you?

And Fel, I meant, does the order in which I have them typed out in the .d file make a difference? Is that what controls which goes first? I know they wont happen again, if I set the globals correctly, I just don't know what order the banters go in.

4. Razfallow Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Can you see his name in editor (NI, DLTCEP,...)? Has he assigned a dialogue?
    If yes, is any condition in his dialogue true (IF ~condition~ THEN BEGIN ...)?

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hell's bells, I can't get beyond the .cre file!! :rolleyes: I have to get the .cre *exactly* right the first time, because going back to fix it (like people keep telling me is possible) does not work. :flaming:

Until I can get a perfect .cre, I have nothing other than a new monitor. :smash:

Saber, I'm really, really no help to you anymore. I don't understand how to write any of the code (I copy+paste Aces' n00b's guide) and I can't get the stupid shyte to work. I would say go sign up at PPG or Gibberlings3 and talk to them. Make them talk plain English to you; they can be a bit forgetful translating code to layman's terms. :bad:

:wail: :wail: :wail:

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

No. For any other dialog file it would, but banter files have the lines picked at random.

7. Saber

Raz, at the top of my dialogue, it is just:
    BEGIN A#TNO

Do I need to set a condition? The guide I used to making it had me set up the beginning like this:
    BEGIN A#TNO

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN Talk1
    SAY ~Who are you... and why have you disturbed me?~

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I'm <CHARNAME>. I was wondering, why are you here?~ GOTO NoBusiness
    IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Woah, You don't have to be so grouchy, I was just being friendly.~ GOTO TNOAway
    IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bother you. I'll be going.~ GOTO EndTalk
    END

And what do you mean, does his name show up in an editor? When I use NI, he has a .CRE file, yes, but I don't know what you mean by what you asked.

8. Razfallow Gems: 6/31

I mean, when you open your cre in NI, can you see its name on the right side of the screen (where you can see Name, XP, XP Value, ...)?

If there is "NumTimesTalkedTo(0)" in dialogue, he should talk to you at least once.
    Is your dialogue file assigned to the creature?

9. Saber

1. No, it says "No Such Index" in the place for the name - how do I edit it? I can't by clicking on it...

2. I have "NumTimesTalkedTo(0)", but he doesn't talk.

3. How do I assign a dialogue to a creature? Both the .d and the .cre are in the same folder, which WeiDU accesses.

10. Razfallow Gems: 6/31

In your tp2 should be something like this:

COPY ~Mod/cre/name.cre~ ~override/name.cre~
    SAY NAME1 ~NPC's name~ //assign name to cre
    SAY NAME2 ~NPC's name~ //assign apparent name to cre
    WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc ~A#TNO~ //assign dialogue to cre

11. Saber

Hmm, mine is:
    COPY ~TNO\TNO3.cre~ ~override\TNO3.cre~

SAY NAME1 ~TNO~
    SAY NAME2 ~TNO~
    SAY BIO ~When you ask him about his past, TNO snarles and turns away.~

Then a bunch of things to say as responses to commands, then the COMPILE stuff. What I have is exactly what the guide told me to do? Do I need to add what you told me, or is this fine?

EDIT: And how do I get his name working?
    EDIT2: AUGH! I did what you said to do, and it still didn't work. What could be the problem?

[ March 22, 2006, 03:57: Message edited by: Saber ]

12. Razfallow Gems: 6/31

Could you send me your tp2 and Debug file?

Edit: And one more question, wasn't your game or IE editor running during installation?

[ March 22, 2006, 16:46: Message edited by: Razfallow ]

13. Saber

No, neither of those were running.

EDITL: GARGH! Its still not working, even with all of the help I've gotten here and CoM!

[ March 23, 2006, 00:16: Message edited by: Saber ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.