1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Man, Firkraag is EASY!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Melkhior, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Melkhior Guest

WHY DOESN`T ANYBODY READ WHAT I WRITE!? I´m getting preeetty irritated. TIN_MAN: I HAVE beaten him soloing! REEAAAD THE TEEEEXT................stupid

Hey Tal! Why don´t kick people out for simple stupidity or even blindness?
    Ehm.. Just don´t kick me because I wrote with Caps now, aye?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Same reason teachers in schools aren't allowed to shoot stupid students I suppose...

3. Melkhior Guest

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Lord Moeken - busted me! DOH! :D

The good news is that I was 100% unsuccessful!

(Wow, people actually remember the "bio" stuff we post. I'm going to have to watch myself now. May I'll need to go back through and edit some of my posts!)

5. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Stupid is who says Melkhior. :mad: :mad:

When you beat him in solo, you have good luck, or you're a f*in' cheater man!

Firkraag ain't easy!!!

Especially when he activates his stoneskin and protection from magical weapons spells in few seconds after charging into battle!

So..I DO NOT BELIVE YOU...YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT DRAGON IN MEELE ONLY WITH A F*N' BIG GOOD LUCK.

OVER

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited June 05, 2001).]

6. ayecapitan Guest

Why, pardon me, not?
    Ye can kill Firkraag soloing with fighter (NO! not a lvl8 fighter, but lvl13-15 - ye can) due to the nature of his breath weapon.
    With some effort ye can accumulate enough figter items to absolutely protect ye from fire. Stoneskin is why ye need a lvl15 fighter( :)), when protection from magical weapons should be useless against +3 weapons... O'course, ye'd need potions and (yea! protection from fire scroll :)) other trinkets.
    That wouldnt work as good with shadow dragon, cos ye need something to protect ye from level drain (Mace of disruption is just +2 and amulet of power is not fighter's turf)

7. kingius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Mace of disruption is +1

8. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Here we go again....
    The original Mace of Dispruption is +1 - may kill undead instantly.

The improved mace coated with illithium is +2 and protects the user from level drain!

9. Melkhior Guest

TIN_MAN: ehhm. angry now, are we? :D
    Ofcourse you can beat firkraag solo. Without(!) cheating... If you are a coward (like mine was) you can try and hit him once, run to a corner, try making him not seeing you, run back attack & so on... I never cheat!! Perhaps you do?
    And by the way... Stupid is who says Melkhior??? What kind of meaning does that have!??!?
    So in other words, since you said Melkhior, you are stupid? I don´t really understand you. Do you have some kind of problem?
    I´m sorry.. Perhaps I´m braking one of the rules ( personal attack ). But still! c´mon............ *sigh*

10. shadow_thief Guest

get ur thief to backstab him and then use ur mages to cast imprisonment on him :D easy i no.

11. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

Sorry Melkhior, I hadn't been able to practice english for a few years...so that's why I wrote that.

Never mind my words, but still I think that killing Firkraag in meele is almost impossible. I say it because I have tried it many times. I had no problem with his breath, because my char was 100 % immune to fire, and his stoneskin spell is negatable when you have a weapon with other magical damage(Celestial Fury, Stonefire axe, Frostreaver axe, Flail of the Ages etc.)

The main problem I meant is that when he wing buffets you, (2D8+1 damage)activates his protection from magical weapons spell after taking 30-40 damage(I think he has about 200 HP so this damage is not worth talking about)

He can't be hurt with normal weapons so after this you cannot even scratch him for four rounds, but he begins to open your guts very quickly.

Perhaps your strategy of attacking fleeing and attacking again may work I sholud try it for myself, though Firkraag followed my character every time when battleing.

I also have beaten Firkraag solo, but with a magic user(sorcerer).

Saying the truth he was at high level (17)when I finished the red dragon.

At a level of 9-10 he would have never had a chance.

12. Melkhior Guest

Well, it´s pretty hard tryin´ to beat him soloing at lv.9. I beat him in a group of six at lv.9 and I beat him soloing lv.15

13. zort Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Maybe the game is set to easy mode or something.

14. Havok Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I haven't gotten to this point in the game yet, but I do have an opinion on dragons:

First, an adult, mature, or ancient dragon hasn't lived all of those centuries by being stupid. It should NEVER be caught sleeping. It would have enough wards and guardians about to give it enough advance warning of any dastardly two-legs sneaking about trying to steal it's treasure, so that it would be wide-eyed and bushy tailed and really pissed off by the time any party entered it's lair.

It should have an awesome array of fighting abilities...breath, biting, claws (foreclaws and wingtips), wing buffet, tail whip, and trampling. Plus it should have some spell abilities and a lot of spell immunities as well.

I would have thought that the game's designers would have made this the toughest encounter in the entire game, but I have been amazed at how effective some of the tactics used in defeating Firkraag...Cloudkill and a monk's "Quivering Palm" for Christsakes? But then again, there's always that small percent chance of blind luck. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a gaming "Purist" by any means. I applaud those who have been resourceful enough experiment and find these little chinks in the armor and exploit them.

In my opinion, taking on a dragon should be nothing more than an all out blood and guts brawl...winable, but still bloody as hell.

This is what I remember about dragons from my old PnP days. With the DM that I played with, taking on an old dragon was suicidal, but being brave, bold adventurers, we did it anyway, and the Temples made a fortune on "Raise Dead" and "Resurrection" spells afterwards.

Then again, I may be looking up some of those old posts and trying out those same "cheesy" tactics myself, once I've reloaded a dozen times or so trying to defeat the bloody lizard.

[This message has been edited by Havok (edited June 09, 2001).]

15. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

well, thats one major difference between pnp and CRPG, they just can't design the AI to properly reflect a 1,500 year old creature. On the other, the game doesn't really get you the pay off most DM's would give you for defeating a dragon in his lair.

(yes, the armor and shield are cool, but killing a dragon in PnP ussualy means more gold than you can lug in ten trips)

16. Avooch Dar Guest

There are a lot of powerful characters in the game who have abilities which can just not be implemented in the game.

Irenicus has the ability to enter you dreams for example. This is only in the cutscenes because it ould be far too complecated to put into the game(and pretty useless)
    Firkragg could probably read minds and conjure up an army of golems while fireing lightning bolts out of his arse. but this would be too difficult to play and far to difficult to implement just for that one character.

And Melikor: STOP SPAMMING!!!! smiley faces do not count as a post!

[This message has been edited by Avooch Dar (edited June 09, 2001).]

17. zort Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

cloudkill does not work for me because he casts heal and I run out of cloudkills before he dies. How do you guys get it to work? And you'd think a really old dragon would be smart enough to kill anyone setting traps around him but no he just stands there as if nothing is happening.

18. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

True enough zort! An old red dragon should be more intelligent. When playing, Yoshimo had Firkraag's trophy, killing the beast only with his traps! RIDICULOUS! I think set traps ability should have been left out of the game for it is most unbalancing(as well as quivering palm too).

19. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Avooch Dar:

I dont really think Irenicus enters your dreams. I think the dreamsequence with Irenicus and the others are visions generated because the essence of bhaal seems to more focused on YOU(I think the essence makes a vision of Irenicus to taunt you, to fall in to hate and all that kind off stuff).
    You hear a little about this later, when Imoen didn't experience the dream as you did, when you fight the bhaal essence or what it is

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.