1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Math

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Z-Layrex, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Thanos Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Of course it is. But he didn't say a=1. If he had, that wouldn't be an analytical problem, merely a numerical one.

-thanos

2. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

How about, x > 0...maybe?

Why must I see this Math thread today?! Just when I was trying to avoid doing my math homework peacefully, so that I'd have to study for my Calculus quiz tomorrow on the bus to school, I see this #!^&*#!@*& thread, and now I have to study... :p :nolike:

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] We'll help with your studying Faerus ;)

Anyway - Nobleman, the answer would just be 0, wouldn't it?

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It can't be 0, because a is greater than 0. 1 seems like the most likely answer.

[Edit] Scratch that, I actually thought about this now :) 0 is also a possible solution for x.

[Edit 2] Scratch what I just said. All this mechanics I've been doing has confused me :) 0 can't be an answer, because you can't have 0 to the power of 0, at least as far as I know.

[ September 19, 2002, 16:33: Message edited by: Wildfire ]

5. Thanos Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Guys:

IT CAN'T BE A NUMBER.
    It has to be something that has 'a' in it. That's why it's called an analytical solution

Example: x^2 =a => x=(+-) sqrt(a)

No numbers.

-thanos

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :hmm:

This may not make sense - but could it be -0.5

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You're mean, Nobleman. I'll bring this to my friends at school and see what they can find out. And if any of you would care to help me with something I had on my math test today:

Find g(100) from g(t)=7-[11cos(2*pi*t/365)+5sin(2*pi*t/365)]

I just hope this is something we haven't learned yet, and that it doesn't count in the final results :p . I have trouble finding the meaning of the [] around parts of the function.

[ September 19, 2002, 18:34: Message edited by: Mollusken ]

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The "[" and "]" are just a different form of parentheses to indicate order of operation.

Essentially you take the COS of 2*pi*100/365 and multiply that by 11. Take the SIN of 2*pi*100/365 and multiply that by 5. Add those two results together. Subtract that result from 7.

[ September 19, 2002, 18:43: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

And what's the exact difference between () and []?

[ September 19, 2002, 19:17: Message edited by: Mollusken ]

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is none really. It's just a convenience to make it easier to see where each begins and ends. If you only used parentheses and not brackets or braces, it just makes it harder on the eyes.

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

ooh, I love math thingies for fun.
    I'd the say the answer would be a>0, for x=[0,unlimited[

0 is in because, something^0 = 1

positive, well, that should be obvious, gets bigger :)

no negatives due to the very first x would always make it negative.

did I mess up, or are you supposed to start playing with them exp and logaritme natural(sp?), ln for short, thingies?

[ September 19, 2002, 20:08: Message edited by: Lokken ]

12. Blog Gems: 23/31

Negative even numbers are in too because (-2)^-2 becomes 1/(-2)^2 = 1/4 which is bigger than zero.

However, negative odd numbers are out because you will end up with a negative fraction. and a < 0 is not allowed.

Don't ask me how to write that in bracket notation :)

13. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd say ANY negative number is out. It's an exponent tower, right? So .... * 1/2 * 1/3 * 1/4... = 0.

AFAIK 0 and 1 are the only values for X that will yield a finite a greater than 0.

[EDIT] Can you actually have 0^0? Is that valid? I mean, 0 * anything = 0, but anything ^ 0 = 1... I guess this doesn't include 0, then? [/EDIT]

[ September 20, 2002, 00:29: Message edited by: Judas ]

14. Blog Gems: 23/31

Oh is that the definition for an exponent tower?

I was just trying to solve X^X^X^X^... >0

I wasn't thinking about X^(X+1)^(X+2)^(X+3)... >0
    or any other sequence that the exponent changes its value.

15. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

All numbers to the power of 0 = 1 because x^0 = x/x = 1 (any number divided by itself equals one of course)

Now try zero..... It is nonsense to divide anything by nothing, including nothing, so no 0^0 does not equal 1. If anything it is infinite.

So now at least we know that x is positive and also greater than zero.

We'll get there guys.

16. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

The only possible solutions are that X = (0, 1). Any other number would lead a to change infinitly. Unless infinity is acceptable as an answer.

Ugh. Too early for Math. Need java. :coffee:

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I believe the problem converges for a range of values of X, but as Nobleman said this is not an easy one. As for me, I've been too far away from this type of thing to solve it (even if I could when I was in school).

18. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Mollusken = if t = 100 then G = -12.19 to 4 s.i.f

in full it'd be -12.18563814, but that was just me checking on my calc ;)

19. Judas Gems: 7/31

It has been a while since I've seen any complex math, but I'm still confused as to what the actual question is.

Solve what?

Do you mean you want possible values X can take on? As we've previously discussed, anything other than 0 or 1 yields either a=positive infinity, or a=0.

On the note of 0^0=?, I looked it up. Sometimes it's 1, sometimes it's 0. I'm not kidding. I think there are rules decide when to use what. It is generally accepted that (i.e. in most cases, the appropriate value is) 0^0 = 1. This isn't any kind of proof, really, but calc.exe yields 0^0=1, as well.

Back to the question... if you're not after a range / set of possible values, it doesn't make much sense to me. Did you mean you want an expression to give you the nth term of the sequence X, X^X, X^X^X, X^X^X^X... ?

[ September 21, 2002, 00:40: Message edited by: Judas ]

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Lookie what I found: http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/jmac/ther/tower.htm

Looks like the hyperpower function of x converges for a range of numbers just as I thought. Specifically for the range of x between e^(-e) and e^(1/e).

[ September 21, 2002, 00:53: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.