1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Misconceptions

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by the god, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I can't say anything for sure Nutrimat. I am not God. I just want us to agree on a keyconcept that we can't cheat God, given he/she exists. If you don't believe in God by heart then he'll notice. God will judge us for what we have done. Believing in God is a perhaps all he craves? We can't know. Faith is not a science where the same answer applies for you as for your homie next door. God is the judge or what we are required to do, to earn our spot in paradise.

On a sidenote, I am sure I don't get to go to heaven. I don't believe in God. Even though I am as friendly and helpfull and kind to my family and friends as any christian could be. So we have plenty of time to make fun of religion in hell, Nutrimat :1eye:

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The god, from now on you have my respect! Anyone that can remember quotes from Transformers especially my favourite Starscream must be a very decent and nice person! :D

'Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!' Starscream in almost any episode ;)

3. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Two of my favorite misconceptions about my chosen field:

"Teaching is easy, all you have to do is stand there. You have the answer key and everything."

"That teacher hates me. She is out to get me because she makes me work."

One thing that people forget to think about, though, (and this has little to do with the misconceptions, I just thought I needed to mention it) is the fact that without teachers, where would you be in life? Everyone who is everyone, from the guy that sold me my insurance, to Bill Gates, to the guy who flips burgers at McD's has had some dealings with teachers. You simply cannot go through life at this modern age without encountering some schooling. So before you piss and moan, take a long hard look at the people that control your destiny. The things that a teacher will jot down in that little notebook can make or break you.

Edit for: I am in no way an expert teacher, btw. I have years and years before I attain that. I admire them, though.

[ September 19, 2002, 22:45: Message edited by: Damona Silvercloud ]

4. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ok, I will admit I was baiting this person somewhat with the free will vs. omniscience argument. I would not expect too many people, even highly religious ones, to be able to answer this. In fact, I am beginning to doubt there is a real answer.

sophistry (n.) subtly deceptive reasoning or argument.
    I'm not sure how I was being deceptive. It is a valid question that I have tried to come to terms with myself in my search for the Meaning of Life (tm).
    This argument nearly drove me insane at one point. If God knows all, what would be the point of creating anything, if he (I am using he in place of an appropriate gender-nuetral pronoun) already knows exactly what's going to happen? If God KNEW that Adam and Eve would succumb to temptation (and he would have to have), then why subject them to it? Would you ask a first grader to take a college math test, knowing beyond doubt that they would fail? Most people believe that the Temptation was some kind of test, and we didn't pass. There's no way we could have passed.
    There is just no way God could possibly know everything. In order to believe in almost anything in the bible, you have to make the supposition that God can NOT know the future.

But this is off topic of my original point that most people don't have the slightest understanding of what they believe. If you call yourself a computer gamer, I would expect you to at least be able to name a couple of computer games that you've played and enjoyed. Even if it's Minesweeper. I don't expect you to know the history of video games A to Z.

Saying you believe in something and not being able to even give me a coherent answer on what that belief means is not belief. It's a delusion.

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've studied classical music a bit too. The most irksome misconception for me is:

Not ALL music composed before 1900 is labelled as classical!

People seem quite capable of distinguishing rap from reggae from jazz etc. However, they pool together music from the Baroque (1600-1700), the Classical (1700-1800) and the Romantic (1800-1900) eras into one general term: 'classical'. :(

[ September 20, 2002, 04:19: Message edited by: Blog ]

6. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

On the off-topic topic: There are, indeed, many Christians who cannot explain their faith well. There are significant others who do. Then there are many more who don't live Christianity as you non-Christians think Christians should -- especially since so many non-Christians think Christ was all about happy, happy, joy, love, peace, etc. (which he was) and not about justice and right vs. wrong (which he also was).

On the topic topic: So many people think they can write. So many people are wrong. This is especially true when it comes to creative writing, although I'm quick to point out that there are some gifted writers (Yerril, Darien, and Sir Dargorn when he's got a proofreader spring to mind) at SP.

Further, so many people think they know grammar. If someone has an M.A. in biology, the boss with an MBA doesn't argue about biology with him. But for me, with an M.A. in English, my boss with a degree in Art History thinks she knows more about comma placement. It's infuriating to try to soothe her ego and self-certainty while making sure that the document comes out right.

7. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I never inteded this to get so far off of the original topic!
    With apologies to the God, I am starting a new topic to continue this religious discussion. It has gotten way off of his original subject, which was misperceptions based on your job or career.

So if anyone wants to respond to my comments, please look for the new topic, and do not respond in this post!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.