1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

mods you love to play?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    just tried fire. no luck.
    tried using the stonefire axe and a wand of the heavens. neither did anything.

2. Raven_BWL Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Try Fireball.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    well i tried the fireball necklace the guardian dropped and it worked. fireball works but other fire spells don't? what's up with that? :rolleyes:

thanks for the help people. much appreciated :)

4. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That's intentional. Dragon's Breath and Comet work as well (though few players may have access to those high level spells at that stage of the game; so Fireball is the main spell to use).

Baronius likes this.
  5. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I think the astral shard requires a spell which releases powerful amount of fire. So a lighter won't destroy it :)

6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    well got the shard all taken care of. blew it up :p

now i've another problem. i have the improved firkraag mod going but when i get there there is no firkragg. has anyone else had this problem?

7. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Firkraag is on vacation.

8. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    lol. i wonder how many frequent flyer miles firkraag has :p

i've tried resting and going back. i even tried resting where he should be. no luck. his little mage guy is there. the guy with the key to free the girl.

what is the code for "summoning" firkraag?

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature(" ????? ")

also what is the code for the person that approaches the party that asks them to go to the umar hills. i forget who it is. i'm wanting to get to valygar and mazzy

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  9. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

That's what's improved about him. He now has the intelligence to realize he needs a "vacation" before it's too late. Maybe he'll send a postcard. :D

10. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Dungeon-Be-Gone.

I'm a chronic restarter and I would've given up on this game a long time ago if i had to crawl through Chateau Irenicus everytime.

11. Amdis

Amdis Note to self, claws are not toothpicks

Yeah that is most certainly a must have for players who finished the game at least ones without it. :D

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't actually mind Irenicus' Dungeon :D

Mods I have tend to be restoration type mods, such as unifnished business, restored trials and have the restored ToB heads currently.

Also quite like the flirts for a bit of a laugh :lol: they're good fun.

13. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Me neither. The only bit that pees me off is the back and forth between the djinn area and the dryads to get the flask and acorn quests done. Otherwise I quite like it!

(And yes I like mods that add extra quests, characters and dialogue, rather than mods that make battles stupidly hard or add overpowered items and whatnot.)

14. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Pretty much the only reason I play through Chateau Irenicus is that I like to be in control of my characters development.

I like SCS II - its challenging but sensible. The only thing that irritates me is that sometimes it seems enemy mages dont quite play fair. And I still think the Improved Invisibility and Immunity: Divination should never be allowed, its just too cheasy (since even though anti magic attacks with AOF can bring it down, you have to hit a moving target with something that doesnt home in).

TOD is good, and BG2 Fixpack and Tweakpack are must haves.

15. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I usually just CTRL-J it. It's not cheating, but working around stupid dungeon design...
    What I don't understand is why the dryads would have the flask if Irenicus has no respect for them...

Anyway, back on topic. I quite like Avenger's Rogue Rebalancing. Makes a thief or bard worth playing IMO. Also, 1PP and Level1NPC's are a must.

16. -David_W- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Care to elaborate? They're supposed to play fair, but you might have found a bug or oversight.

Waiting for enemy wizards to start their own spells can help.

17. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Most mages that I came across have Stoneskin up at the very least. The slaver mages in the slaver stockade in the slums are one example - although I had the smarter mages component set to "Never instantaneously cast spells at the start of combat", they both had Stoneskin. I had to dispel magic on them out of sight to be able to backstab. Granted, most mages, being in a profession that requires high intelligence, would have some protection even if they werent expecting visitors. The problem is, I think having them with protections active goes against the stated intent of the component, and also means backstabbing is not an option for removing powerful mages unless you have a means of dropping their protections, which is impossible to do without making them turn hostile unless you use dispel magic.

Also, when I fought Lavok, I couldnt attack him before he had turned hostile, even if I did used Dispel Magic on him beforehand. I couldnt affect him at all.

I suppose, in using a difficulty enhancing mod, that I should expect a certain amount of anti-cheese tactics built in, such as it being more difficult to catch opponents unawares.

Thats what I have to do, but if they are completely invisible and free to move, you cant see any traces of them until the spell has been cast. If its a timestop, it may be too late. With Lavok, I hemmed him in with my party so that he couldnt move, and I could reliably guess where he would be.

Dont get me wrong though - I get frustrated with the difficulty of fighting mages sometimes, but I still enjoy it. Its a great mod, I like your stated intent with the mod, to provide difficulty without cheesy tactics. Generally its about right for me.

18. -David_W- Gems: 3/31

Got it. Okay, that's deliberate. The "instantaneously cast spells" component is for shortish duration spells. All mages, whatever component you're using, will cast long-duration spells like Stoneskin and Minute Meteors - they'd be mad not to, in fact.

I don't think this counts as "not playing fair", though, since the player can do exactly the same. (I suppose I could have scripted them to actually cast the spell offscreen rather than autocasting it, but I don't think that makes much practical difference.)

SCS2 doesn't do anything special to him. Are you sure it's not just that your Dispel failed and then you were hitting his Stoneskin? He's quite high level.

I'd call this "challenging" rather than "cheesy", but sometimes it's a matter of taste!

No apology needed! I'm very happy to have comments of any kind. (My reply was mostly because some reports like this are genuine bugs in SCS, some are differences of opinion about what should be in it.)

19. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

True. I dont really mind it, neither spell is particularly powerful and can be dispelled easily. It only irritates me because it limits the usefulness of backstabbing!

The Dispel Magic I used was my inquisitors dispel magic, cast at twice his level (which would make it about level 22 I think). I seem to remember him changing colour from grey (stoneskinned) to normal. Pity I dont have a save game, could go back and check.

Great, I look forward to finishing the rest of the game. I've done 6 of the 8 strongholds, now I just need to do the Tower of Deception before I go off to Spellhold. So it will take a while!

My last playthrough was with SCS II v4 I think, got to Watchers Keep before I lost interest for a while, when I regained interest a new version of SCS II was out and I felt compelled to upgrade and start again (fresh install).

I'm not the kind of guy that likes uber difficulty, hence why your mod appeals to me, but I'm considering upping the difficulty level (currently I play on Normal, am thinking of Core. Yes I know thats far lower than is normal for Sorcerers place).

One question - what level should you be for the improved shade lord? I had defeated Thax'll Sylia (barely) but couldnt scratch the shade lord. On this playthrough I'll be doing the shade lord after spellhold, so my party should be at level 14 or so. Maybe 15 or 16.

The other thing is that it would be nice if your "Give dragons improved staying power" offered more fine grained control, eg 60% bonus hitpoints instead of 200%, or only bonus hitpoints for dragons starting from Irenicus's steed (by which point you should be high level anyway) onwards. Just so that you have a hope in hell of beating Firkraag and Thax'llsylia and the rest are still challenging.

Up to you though, I suppose some people will still find improved dragons with instaneous spells and 3x hitpoints easy!

20. -David_W- Gems: 3/31

That sounds fine, but to be honest I don't really know what the ideal level is! My last playthrough took him down fine at around level 13-14, I think.

I'll give that some thought.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.