1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most and least favourite NPCs

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mihai SuperStar, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Hate: Anomen. Aerie to a lesser extent (too bloody whiny!)

Dislike: Keldorn (too preachy, and a racist to boot, but very powerful)

Like: Edwin above all, hilarious. Valygar is interesting. Jan can be fun. Yoshimo, if it weren't for one little thing.

Love: Viconia and Jaheira :love:

2. Gro'Mul Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I absolutely hate Anomen and Valygar, never really took cernd with me, but the time that I did, I really disliked him.
    And I truly love Viconia and Jaheira.

3. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    I don't know how anyone can stand Anomen after the first encounter with him in the Copper Coronet. Show any hesitation to help with his quest, and he acts like you're something he scraped off his boot.

4. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Like:

Jaheria with decent clubs and/or impailer spear
    Valygar with the celestial fury
    Viconia - Usually I hate that sort of personality, but I find it charming on her for some reason
    Korgan - he simply kills anything that gets in his way
    Haer'Dalis - now that I know how to use him, hes great!
    Edwin - this should be obvious!

Hate

Aerie - my wings, my wings, my ******* wings!
    Nalia - a great mage, but horrible thief. Also annoying personality
    Anomen - you should get exp for kicking him out and killing him

Indifferent to

Keldorn - excellent fighter but too suck up
    Minsc - funny but he always gets killed easily
    Mazzy - never used her
    Cernd - seems great but I never use him for too long

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Favs:

Minsc, Yoshi - Two characters in the story who don't take themselves too seriously.
    Aerie - What more can you say about a woman who's willing to have your baby?

Dislike:

Viconia - Yeah, she's a babe, but who needs all the PMS?
    Anomen - The only thing worse than a chick with PMS is guy with the same problem.

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Favourite:
    Jaheira, [ToB content removed] and Minsc - good character development for the first two, and just plain butt-kicking fun for the third. Valygar gets an honourable mention, as does Yoshimo ("Very well... hiii-ya!").

Least favourite:
    Mazzy and Anomen; at least Keldorn has been around long enough to know he's not the greatest thing on Faerun.

[ March 03, 2005, 07:30: Message edited by: NonSequitur ]

7. Malagance Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Favorites: Edwin, Viconia, Keldorn, Minsc

Least Favorites: Cernd, Haer Dalis, Nalia

Anomen used to be my most hated character, but I took him along recently with my Paladin and while the guy is as arrogant as all hades, I now realize that he's actually a pretty powerful character if you can get him knighted, especially. As a result, I have heightened my opinion of him, though just barely.

8. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Favorites: Minsc (big man, space hamster - the protocol is obvious) and Imoen.

Least favorites: Nalia and Jaheira. In the second case, I simply cannot understand how anyone puts up with her, let alone lists her as a favorite character! After having the gall to correct your grammar (I pride myself on my language skillz), she spends the rest of the quest blathering at you. "Oh Santiago, you've been such a comfort to me these last days . . . oh, I've said too much!" And the damn game makes half the quests revolve around her in some way! I think my friend Gary has it about right: he makes her carry useless items he loots.

9. Ironside Gems: 1/31

Favorites: Minsc. Fun-loving berserker with the best lines in the game. Keldorn. Grim, noble old veteran.

Disliked: Nalia. Naive, ignorant and arrogant. Cernd. His continuing bla bla about nature just sucks.

And let me as a European just say that: The nobles in the game are a ridiculous caricature. Real nobles were and are completely different.

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Why do so many people dislike Haer'Dalis so much? I've taken him for the game once and I didn't find something so annoying with him or his comments... Besides, he makes a good counterpoint to some of the others.

11. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Love: Aerie. Literally. (not weird, not weird.) I just really like her innocence and all. Plus, she kicks booty with cleric and mage spells.
    Mazzy: If you give her a weapon, she will kill something with it.
    Valygar:Yeah, I know he is as interesting as a 40 year old rock, but he can stealth something incredible.
    Minsc:HOORAY FOR BOO!
    Hubelpot:I really like terry pratchett. Ergo, My enjoyment of hubelpot.
    Hate:
    Korgan: His quest is pretty tough, and he will cancel out Aerie. Grr.
    Viconia: She's not a very nice person. And she makes fun of people.
    Keto: This is subject to change, but since I kicked her out, her godforsaken bottle of wine is in my inventory, and is clogging my already overfilled pack.
    Saerileth: I don't play prettyboys. Therefore, this romance is screwed from the start. I dislike paladins anyway.
    Haer'Dalis: NOTHING WILL STAND BETWEEN ME AND AERIE! NOTHING!

12. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Fav: Aerie, Jan, Keldorn, Imoen, Edwin, Viconia
    Hate: Anome (aka Anoyme), Cernd, Nalia, Haer'Dalis, Jaheira

and from Mods

fav: Fade, Saerileth, Tashia
    not so fav: Chloe,Alora, Yasraena
    hated: Kari (I hate the idea of half kobold) , Kelsey

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Faves:
    • Edwin(a) - for the comedy genius of transmuting a bearded Thayvian into a woman!
    • Jan - for being the only permanent thief-based character, and a good laugh.
    • Keldorn - because his story arc is superb. Often, I just can't bear to take him away from his family.
    Least favourites:
    • Valygar - it's not that I think he's underpowered. Stalkers are my favourite class. It's because BioWare seemed to spend less time on him than the other NPCs. Consequently, you never hear much from him, so you feel you're missing out by having him fill a party slot.
    • Cernd - again, he's really not that interesting, and his kit seems really out of place with his character. He definitely "feels" like more of a Totemic Druid or Avenger than Shifter.
    However, I would never say I hated any of them: sure, Nalia and Aerie can be annoying, as can Haer'Dalis, but their characters' are still well done. With Val & Cernd, I didn't feel as though either was especially interesting. Of course, these are also the two I've adventured with the least, so maybe I've never given them enough of a chance. Like I need an excuse to start another game... :shake:

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Favourite: Nalia, Viconia
    Least favourite: Haer Dalis, Valygar

15. DarkLafayette Gems: 1/31

Favorite: Minsc/Yoshimo/Jan

Least Favorite: None really, I haven't used Cernd or Nalia much, so I suppose they could take this place once I try them out.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Fave guys: Anomen (yes, Anomen!) and Jan. I love listening to Jan poke fun at Ani's self-righteousness. Once you sort out his personal issues (for good or nie), Anomen's fairly decent. He's more fun CN.

Fave gals: Jaheira. They really gave the druid time to shine in BG2. Who doesn't use Insect Plague or Creeping Doom against spellcasters?

Least fave guy: Yoshimo. The hinting comments he drops drive me batty.

Least fave gal: Imoen. She's the only NPC I enjoy killing.

NPC Mods - Tsujatha. He's more...mmm, bad boyish than Kelsey and I really like that. :love:

17. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I like Imoen and always take her unless my character is the most evil bastard ever to blight the face of Faerun. She's nice, witty and powerful and she is the one NPC i genuinely never tire of. Mazzy is great, but I think I've overused her somewhat. Yoshi is really cool and I wish he could be kept throughout the game and into the expansion. Finally, Edwin gets a mention for the immortal line of "Greetings to you. I am Edwin Odesseiron, but you simians may refer to me as "sir" if you prefer a less ... syllable intensive workout." Or something thereabouts :D

There are few characters I dont like as Baldur's Gate 2 is such an awesomely written game that there's something good about all of them. I'm not too fond of Minsc as he's annoying, loud and only occasionally funny. Anomen is irritating too, but its so much fun shooting him down in flames that I just can't hate the guy.

Everyone else is good, but non-essential as far as Im concerned.

18. Akaoni Gems: 1/31

I loved Edwin and Yoshimo. Those guys just had the best personalities and said the funniest things.

I hated Anomen and Aerie. I play games to enjoy myself not listen to whiners....

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In SoA:

Favorites: Jan, Edwin and Korgan

The only one I hate and have never taken for more than 5mins. is Anomen.

Nalia and Imoen get on my nerves with their whining.

20. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I like Imoen too, but that's because I've dabbled in Realmslore enough to know that she is one of the few really cool thieves out there. She's WAY better than that idjit Tazi. IMHO, of course. About my earlier post, if anyone has played Keto, is there a way to get rid of that bottle, and can you get drunk from it? I'm too scared that my main char will get drunk, collapse and be eaten and mutilated by kobolds.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.