1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most Damaging Spell in the game?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Faraaz, Dec 22, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sunfire isn't the most damaging (I can't imagine more than 80 dmg), but it's good when you're surrounded. For area spells you'd need some immunity to target yourself. Or mirror image, if there's some on you. I still prefer massive mordenkainen's sword butchery with like +54 to hit.

2. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Scratch that thing about Tymora's Loop. It doesn't work with spell damage dice.

3. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Would the Luck Spell affect min dice rolls. Such as normal spell damage does 1d6 but with Luck it would do 2d3... kind of???

If it does - increasing Luck could help gey max damage.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Luck affects your rolls within the normal maximum IIRC. So you would avoid critical misses, minimal spell damage etc and get closer to max damage, but wouldn't exceed it.

5. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Luck affects ability enhancing spells. For example, having Luck on someone gives +1 luck, and when casting Cat's Grace (1d4+1 normally), the result of 1d4 is shifted up by 1, unless it's 4, in which case it's unchanged.

This doesn't work with spell damage dice. Ive tried equippping a character with 2 Tymora's Loop and casting Luck on him. I've monitored the attack roll with the available option. He has never gotten a roll below 8. If luck applies to spell damage rolls, DBFB should always do its maximum damage of 240. It didn't. It was still averaging around 120. There are several possible explanations:
    1. luck only affects the first die.
    2. each luck source affects 1 die.
    3. luck doesn't affect spell damage dice.
    I don't really feel like determining which one because the result is all the same: it's not big enough of a boost to spell damage, if any. I guess it makes sense: how cheap would it be if every DBFB you put out did 288 damage every time?

6. Dias Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Hey guys, I'm not sure which spell deals the most damage in a "decent" amount of casting time, I just wanted to say that I love smashing wave too :D I have a human ranger(1)druid(29) and she's at character level 13 and her smashing wave deals about 60 damage on average, kinda long casting though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.