1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most powerful class?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Stardust, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

WoW! So the WM seems a lot more powerful now! But after a while it gets easier to achieve a good effect yes?

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Legit?? Wild Mage only because he can spam Time Stops and Wish castings because of Nahal's Reckless Dweomer...

If not, then Mage/Cleric...

Time Stop + Harm pwns joo...

Oh and if the XP cap is removed, Fighter/Mage/Cleric...hands down. Time Stop + Harm + SotM pwnage.

3. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Ah, my apologies Silvershield, I just seized on the idea of Wizardslayers and forgot that you were talking about something else.

EDIT: Typo

[ September 07, 2006, 17:29: Message edited by: Decados ]

4. Fly2tHeSkY

In the early stages of the game, does the WM have a lot of bad surges?

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Every time you cast a spell there is a chance of a wild surge. Using NRD always generates a wild surge. When one occurs the game engine generates a random number between 1 and 100. Generally speaking, the "good" surges are the ones closer to 100, and the "bad" surges are the ones closer to 1.

There are modifiers on this roll though. First the caster's level is added to the roll. So yes, a low level caster will be adding a lower number to the roll, thus increasing the likelihood of a "bad" surge. However, because it's random, it is possible for a 1st level mage to get a good one and a level 20 mage to get a bad one.

Secondly, there are two spells in the game (and I can't remember their names for the life of me ATM) that also add points to the roll. One is a level 2 spell that IIRC adds 15 points to the roll. The other one (again IIRC) is a level 7 spell that adds 20 to roll. Both spells are cumulative with each other and the character level. Thus, a level 20 mage that casts both of these spells prior to casting NRD will have a total modifier of +55, greatly reducing the odds of a poor effect.

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    The spells are Chaos Shield and Improved Chaos Shield. Improved Chaos Shield actually adds 25 to the roll. ;)

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

And to add to Aldeth's post...casting Improved Chaos Shield x3 via Chain Contingency causes all the three shields to stack...

Knock yourself out with infinite Wish/Timestops... :D

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

There may be some bad wild surges at low levels: My magic missile which was about to kill the anoyingly cheesy near-death Duergar mage party member (courtesy of Improved Ilych) turned to a Silence spell which silenced all my party but not the duergar, that was most shocking.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @Silverstar - yes, it's certainly possible. If I wasn't clear above, the caster's level adds to the roll, so a low level caster who doesn't cast chaos shield or improved chaos shield will only add a small number to the wild surge roll. Additionally, the spell you are casting has no effect on whether or not you generate a wild surge. The chance of a wild surge occuring is the same for a magic missile as it is for a time stop.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Yeah...I was casting Sunfire once with my Wild Mage because I was getting mobbed by those statues in Watcher's Keep lvl 1...it went something like this...

Wild Surge: Roll 4 times!
    Wild Surge: Oops! Wrong Target!
    Wild Surge: Itchy!
    Wild Surge: Double Damage...

Or something like that...

Anyway...I was pwned so bad... :(

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Hehe now this class seems like it would be a lot more fun to play! I might just give it again on my next run through :D

12. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Wild Mage

If you add the item you get outside the Firendly Arm...double your level one spell slots!!!!!!Even more opertunity for lv 9 spells(drools)

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Wild mages are fun and have the potential to be the most powerful class provided the rolls go your way. However the most powerful class in my opinion would have to be a fighter/theif simply because they're powerful ALL the time rested or not and they only have to worry about their awesome THAC0 missing. Dual wielding +5 weapons and starting with a backstab can end any mage's day very quickly.

In a short burst mages are the most powerful yet I prefer the way how non-casters are always as powerful rested or not.

14. Fly2tHeSkY

In BGII that 'ring of wizardry' changes.

I believe it starts off as doubling your level 1 spell slots although in BGII, it gives you an additional 5th, 6th and 7th level spells. Is that correct?

15. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Yup. They changed it around completely. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't copy-paste the BG1 item file into your BG2 override folder (providing you have a means of extracting it in the first place, or have Tutu).

16. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

theres still a huge drawback of being a mage is that you need to sleep to get your spells back

it wouldnt be a problem if you used the few slots per spell level you got for one kind of magic only (either abjuration, cojuration etc...), but usually you need a few of each for most battles, and so you quickly run out and thus need to sleep a lot, which i think makes this class a turnoff

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, that is the power and style of mages. If they wish to disintegrate someone, they need to plan it, memorise the spell at night, and cast it when the time is right. (preferably after a Greater Malison first) Whereas any fighter combo can bash/crack skulls so long as they have HP.

But let's face it, they can never reach the full potential of a mage:Stopping Time, altering realities, summoning demons, raining down fiery death, bending others to their will, or killing all with a few gestures.... (drools)

18. Fly2tHeSkY

After they get the wish spell this disadvantage goes away, much like people mentioned earlier in the thread.

I guess arcane casters are still overpowered than physical fighters, even with there HLAs ...

19. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm guessing mages could qualify as most powerful class, but I just don't find any amusement in playing with them. I was always more of a sword wielder :) There are powerful classes in fighter lines too. Inqusitor was already mentioned, I find him great against mages. His dispell magic is just supreme, I was able to dispell Demogorgon protection when I was in WK. Granted, that was in ToB, and I was around level 25 or so, but still.

Monk with his superior MR is also great versus mages. Granted, time stop + imprisonment will still do short work of him, but both spells have long casting time, and in that time you can get to the mage and kick his ass. Literally :) Ok, protection from magical weapons, but that's why you have your mages to breach him.

I dare say that duo hight level inqusitor and hight level monk would kick ass out of any hight level mage. But maybe as a sinle class, a hight level mage IS a most powerful class. It's just that, like i said, I don't find playing with them enyoable.

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

There are tricks for countering Inquisitors, my friend. A Spell Immunity:Abjuration and Divination combo will leave any Inquisitor crying as they can not touch the mage protected by these, add PfMWs, Stoneskins, Mirror Iamges, Imp. Invisibility, Misleads, etc. then start bashing via ABDHWs, Comets, Dragon Breaths, etc. etc.

But I agree that every player should think the type of character they enjpy most, is the most powerful character:that is, they have more experience, and knowledge about the weaknesses&powers of the class. I confess I do not think I could survive long with a fighter PC in my games. But that would be my future challenge, aye?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.