1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My Dog, and Pets in General

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 2, 2007.

1. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Aldeth, I think you absolutely did the right thing - because you indeed always would have wondered whether you could have saved her. No future vision for any of us, man. So you made the best call you could at the time, and now - be at peace with that.

You're right - she doesn't know, and therfore doesn't suffer in that knowledge. You suffer in her place here, as all loving human pet owners do.

My heart goes out to you and your wife. You are doing your best to be loving owners and caregivers for Boo. And your best is all you can hope to do.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I got home last night from work and Boo couldn't walk. So it turned out that we put her down last night instead of Sunday. A certain part of me feels that it may have been better this way. While I would not have done it last night if I had any other choice, but if we had let her go until Sunday, the decision would have been hanging over our heads. It would be like we had her on a death watch or something like that. It wasn't easy, but it wouldn't have been easier on Sunday.

The other thing I noticed is that the drive to the vets was much worse than the drive home. I had expected the opposite, as she was dead on the ride back (although we didn't have her in the car as we are getting her cremated). I cried on the way down, but I didn't cry on the drive home, or even when they gave her the injections. The first injection is a strong sedative. So they literally "put her to sleep" first. I had always assumed that was just a nice euphemistic term used instead of saying put to death. The second injection is the euthanizing agent. It's almost like I was at peace with the decision on the way home, that I realized she was better off now. It will probably take a while to get used to not having a dog in the house. My wife had Boo before we met, so Boo has literally always been there when I've come home from work.

Rest in peace Boo. June 1, 1995 - March 13, 2007

[ March 14, 2007, 16:25: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'm sorry to hear that Aldeth. The thing that bothered be the most when our dog died was the emptiness that filled the house. Something was clearly missing and it bothered me for quite a while.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sorry Aldeth. I don't think I'd ever be able to do that. Fair play to you.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    To be honest, I did not think I could do it either. As recently as a few days ago, I was unsure if I would be able to go through with it. There were two events that changed my mind.

1. One of the problems with me and pets is that I assign human characteristics to them. That makes the process of euthanizing them much more difficult, because it's like deciding to end the life of a family member. However, I put myself in the dog's position. If I were in constant pain, with no hope of recovery, and could no longer even tend to the most basic needs of myself, like going to the bathroom without assistance, would I still want to continue living? The answer is no.

2. Right before we left for the vet, my wife found an old photo albumn, flipped a few pages over and pulled out a picture of herself and Boo. As soon as I saw the picture, I recognized instantly when and where it was taken. It was about three summers ago at my wife's friend's house who lives out in the country. We had just got Boo back from the groomers, and she was wearing a pink bandana around her neck and pink ribbons in her hair. She was running around and playing with my wife's friend's dogs and having a grand old time for herself. The picture was taken when Boo had just run over to my wife so she would throw the ball again and she could chase it. As I was looking at the picture, my wife said to me, "This is the Boo I know, and she has been gone for a long time. She's not living anymore, she's just existing."

That was enough to convince me that this had to be done. It also convinced me to be with Boo when she was given the injection. Not only did I not think myself capable of taking Boo to the vet's to be euthanized, I also didn't think I'd be able to be in the room when the injection was actually given. But, after all Boo has done for my wife and I over the years, I felt I owed it to her. My wife and I held her when they gave her the injection, and she died in our arms.

One of the questions with pets that I have never been able to adequately answer is, "Is it worth it?" While home safety and personal protection factor into it somewhat, the main reason people own dogs is because they bring joy to our lives, and become part of the family. However, most dogs don't live to be more than about 12 years old, and their deaths are heart-rending. I, for one, have been unable to decide if the sadness their death causes us is completely offset by the happiness that they have brought us throughout their ever-loyal lives. I loved that dog, mostly because I think that dog really loved me and my wife. Boo would have laid down her life for my wife or I if the situation called for it, and that's a lot more than I can say about a lot of people I'm friends with.

There's a baby on the way, and that fact alone is enough to preclude me from even considering getting another dog at this time. However, even if the baby wasn't coming, I don't think I'd be prepared to get another dog for a long, long, time.

6. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Aldeth, my condolences to you and your wife. You will grieve Boo for a long time, maybe forever. That's the final price of love.

I understand well that you don't want another dog right now. I would have a lot of trouble getting another pet right away, too.

Be as much at peace with this as you can. You thought and acted well and lovingly. No one can do more.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It sounds like you did what was best for the dog. It's rough, which is why I am hesitant to get a new dog myself.

8. kin hell Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I just read this topic. This is my first post on this site.
    I need to comment on the heart shown throughout this thread.
    Firstly you don't know me, but as a fellow earthling ex-dog owner I commiserate with your and your wife's loss Aldeth. Sounds like the dog lived a well-loved life, and died at ease and at the ordained end of lifetime moment. Lucky Boo.
    And the rest of you, sincerely ...great heart ...great heart ...great style there is hope for humanity yet when a random personal sorrow post can generate that much empathy. Again! great heart folks. Brought tears to this curmudgeon's eyes.
    PS. Aldeth thanks for the open post & best wishes to you and your missus and youngun to be.

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Dear Aldeth,

I'm terribly sorry to hear this! If it is any consolation, I am sure that you did what you felt was best for Boo, and I am sure you were right.

In a way, however sad it must be now, it is probably also best for you and your wife to have this settled some time before your baby arrives.

My deepest condolences to you and your wife!

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    This is really, really weird. Though I hate to resurrect this thread, for some reason, I thought to myself today, it's been about a year since Boo died. I remembered it was in March, but not the exact day. This afternoon, it occured to me that I had posted it on SP, and therefore, it would be a simple matter of finding the old thread and looking at the posts. Lo and behold, it was one year to the day. That's really freakin' weird, as it has literally been months since the last time Boo crossed my mind. Having a kid will do that to you - there's no time to think about anything else - your every thought always returns to your child.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.