1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Narnia Might Be in Trouble

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Mathetais, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Why depressing? :)

2. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] sorry to get such an old topic up from the bowels of this forum, but I just have to reply.

if you don't like or see the christian hints in this book part 7 is propably trash, but to me (as a christian) book 7 was the best of the whole lot! it made me almost cry when I was 11 and still gives me the shivvers!

but also the great divorce and the screwtape letters are very good!

well actually almost all his books are great!

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

i never read all the bk s when i was wee, but i think we did do 1 in class. I sm to always remember a lion jumping over a massive wall, but that mite just b me (wen im bored i make up my own stories in my head)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yeah I've been getting many recommendations (esp from my brother) to read those books after I had finished LOTR. Everyone except our youth pastor who looks unfavourably upon Narnia (and LOTR for some reason). He even bashed heavy metal with Guns N' Roses in particular (!!!!), but not without reason.

Darn I'm deviating again! Please Math do speak on about those themes you mentioned. Sorry I made your nic sound related to algebra.

I remember when I was a kid I watched a bit of Narnia and how they went through the closet, ending up in some arctic place and one of the kids was with some evil queen who offered him Turkish delight (which I can't stand personally). Well I'm sorry I don't have the tape to that show but I have the tape to The Hobbit. Great story! I kept watching it as a kid.

6. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'll answer for Mathetais, if I may.

The books are excellent and fairly clearly Christian, at least to most people familiar with Christian beliefs. At no point does he actually refer directly to Christianity.

However, Aslan is a very clear version of Jesus. Aslan saves Narnia by by yielding up his life to the evil Witch and come back to life at a later date. That's also why he leaves and promises to return at a later date, leaving his the kids ot govern.

The Emperor Over Sea is God, the source of all that is good but who is never *physically* present. Rather, he sends Aslan or the human children to do what is necessary.

The children, of course, are the christians. They are tempted with good things in the here and now to overlook evil, etc.

The Last Battle is an amazing parable of the End of Days. The reign of Tash as "Tashlan", the defiance/treachery of the dwarves, the redemption of the human officer who had served Tash, the defeat of evil, and the restoration of the Earth as paradise.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe are the two most obvious, but the others have a christian morality behind them if not quite so blatant a translation.

His sci fi books, the Perelandra series, are similiarly Christian themed.

[ September 21, 2002, 11:19: Message edited by: Vormaerin ]

7. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I noticed the Christian themes in Narnia...actually, I noticed them after reading the Perelandra series, where the themes were not only present but downright BLATANT. Since that was when I was in 6th grade (I got promoted to the Middle School library, which had the books), I did my very best to ignore Lewis's allegories...now I think I just may go back to them, especially the sci-fi series. Christian symbolism may not be personal to me, but it's inclusion always makes things interesting.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wow, its been awhile since I was on Booktalk ... sorry.

Vormaerin did a good job with the basic Christian themes. Lewis has both obvious (Aslan) and subtle Christian themes.

One of the ones I like is the Turkish Delight that seduces Edmund to follow the witch. Like most sins, it seems sooo wonderful at first, but as soon as your dig into it, it looses its delight and you only hope that by consuming more & more you might be able to get that delight back again.

There is a great line when Lucy was first about to encounter Aslan. She sees this huge lion and askes Mrs. Bever, "Is he tame?" Mrs. Bever replies, "No, he's wild and firce and never tame ... but he's good." Isn't Jesus like that? Good, but wild, Good, but firce!

Aslan breathing on the feet of the stone giant, exclaiming, "Once the feet are fixed, the rest falls into place" ... I know that once God gets me MOVING (not thinking/planning/hoping) in the right direction, things fall into place.

I could go on and on, but I hope you see my point.

The biggest reality Lewis teaches: LIFE IS SUPERNATURAL. There is a Narnia behind every wardrobe ... its called the Kingdom of God. We don't have to wait for it, it is real right now, just waiting for us to enter the adventure.

:good:

9. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I must admit, I read the books many many seasons ago and can't remember them all exactly. Also, whilst reading the books I never picked up on the Christian themes as I was to young to have been aught about them, but looking back I can see the links.

The most stunning thing that stands out in my memory was how Aslan died... From what I can remember he died at the hand of the Evil Queen on a stone table, and the stone table broke... He was pinned the table by his paws with shards of rock and he was left to bleed... If it all happened the way I remember it then this is a direct relation to the death of 'Jesus.'

Of course, the table breaking in half could be construed in a number of ways, but the way I see it is as the curtain ripping in half in the temple.

Also, from what I remember the table joined together when Aslan rose again, what symbolism would this have?

I'm very sorry if any of the details are wrong, I read the books nine years ago.

Another thing, I seem to remember something that symbolised the spread of Christianity after the death of Aslan / Jesus but I can't remember exactly what. Would it happen to be the breaking up of the wardrobe and the planting of it in the garden? Or was the blossom tree already there?

Ah yes! The tree blossoming was the symbolism!

Herf.

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Another good one from the book Prince Caspian.

Lucy had been away from Narnia for awhile and had gotten older. When she saw Aslan again, she was shocked because the lion was much larger. "Aslan! You've grown!" she exclaimed. "No little one," the lion responded, "You're the one who has grown."

The same goes with us. The older in our faith we become, the bigger we realize that God is!

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Let them not touch a word. Copyright frenzy has gone too far. They bought the copyright and they think they thus have the right to rewrite the book?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.