1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need some help starting out.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Melhisedek, Apr 6, 2005.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When playing from SoA the lead in fight in ToB with the first Bhaalspawn is fun. She has all her friends to help make that first fight a nice little row.

I was a little concerned when my lone character (a sorcerer) was teleported onto the battlefield. I was expecting a tough fight only to find the Bhaalspawn was by herself. She casts a couple of spells, summoned something, then closed to melee. Even without spells memorized (I ignored the prep for battle hint) she was easy to take out with the +4 staff you're given.

2. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

How things just get out of hand... Well I haven't started playing yet :(
    Anyway I have 2 more questions:
    1. What is the highest lvl you can get in BG2+exp?
    2. What is the most powerful thing you get to kill ?
    (I just love epic battles :)

3. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

1. With ToB installed, you can get to level 40. This translates to more or less infinite experience in gaming terms, since you would have trouble reaching that by the end with just two people in the party (XP gets split equally betweeen party members.) So don't worry about hitting the level cap early.

2. In SoA, without spoiling too much, you *will* learn to fear mages. Liches especially :evil:
    In ToB it gets silly. More so than Hordes of the Underdark. Expect to face things that would make Mephistopheles quake in his lesser demon-skin boots.
    ToB is epic all over. You're walking gods by the end. Do NOT rush this game though. Don't be too quick to get the story done with - explore.

You are allowed to start though :)

Ah.. for the days of BG1 where half-ogres were to be feared and the demonknight was the greatest battle in history!

EDIT: Until you got back to Ulgoth's Beard, that is...

4. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Mate you really know how to have me wet my pants :)

5. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

Oh, you'll be fine. Just have a good, strong mage in the party.

There's a woman you'll meet early on, Nalia, who many will deride for having puny thief skills but can turn into a very powerful character. Just consider her a pure class mage who can use a bow. She'd be a good choice. (The other pure class mage is thoroughly evil, albeit much stronger. Wouldn't get on with your paladin, I suppose.)

There are a couple of multi-class mages around, but they aren't enough alone to handle the various magical beasties you'll find. Great as back-up mages though, if you have a mostly magic-based party. Which is recommended (I'm nearly always a mage), though by no means essential - in BGII magic is extremely powerful, and there's a great spell list. But don't try to cast anything *more* than once in the open air!

6. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Well finally I've started playing :) Guess what I got 94 roll after like 30 sec :p
    Anyhow I'm still in the prison and thing is I don't have nearly enough place to take all the stuff enemies dropped. Is it a big deal or? I thought of selling it all later on. So should I watch for every penny or just leave non-magic stuff on the ground?

Also I find myself "resting" a lot with my party... Any side effects for sleeping too much? :)

Thank you for your time!

7. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

As to the stuff, you get a few alright items, so save room for that. Goblin axes and bows aren't worth that much anyway. You'll find yourself dumping items like mad. Daggers and some things are only worth a couple gp, provided they aren't enchanted, then theyre worth more obviously, so don't worry about trying to carry everything. Have Imoen learn spell scrolls by right clicking and choosing learn spell, or something like that. If she already knows it, and you want to save space for more important things, you can put the scroll in her quick slots or going into her mage book and erasing the spell, then relearning it. The upside of doing that is you will get xp for learning each spell, more xp for higher level spells, though some may think that too cheesy, but it's your game do what you want. Finally, there is a chance when sleeping in dungeons or outdoors, that you will run into some baddies, but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

8. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I would take every composite bow with you, too.
    Every bow costs 30 gp if you sell, so it's a pretty tidy sum for the very beginning.

9. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Maaaan what a game... I'm glued :p
    Still I have 2 questions:
    1. Do I always get a fixed amount of HP when I level up or does it vary?
    2. Can I take gold and stuff from crates in peoples houses? I mean will my rep go down or something ?

What a game!!!

*edit*
    Damn one more Q :)
    Lets say I have AC of -2, and than I find bracers with AF 5. When I put them on they don't change my AC at all, so is it worth it to have them on, or should I try and give them to some other char and see if they lower his/hers AC?
    And how is AC calculated ?

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bracers are a replacement for armor; they do not stack with each other. So, no, if you already have magical armor, bracers will not give you an improvement.

What bracers are really good for is a bit of protection for mages, since they can't wear armor.

11. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

AC is calculated like this:

base AC is 10.
    If your dex is high, you get bonus, 15 dex - -1 AC,
    16 dex - -2 ... 18 dex - -4 AC.
    So, if you have 18 dex, your AC without armour will be 6.
    Then, the armour. Or bracers. The best bracers are AC 3, so they decrease your base AC(10) by 7.
    If you wear them, your AC now is 10-4-7=-1

But armour is normally better than bracers, because it gives lower AC. The best armour suits are AC -2, so they decrease your base AC(10) by 12. If you have such a good armour, you don't need bracers.

Also, there are cloaks, rings and shields, that also decrease your AC somewhat. Unfortunately, some rings (ring of protection +3, for example) do not stack with magical armour.

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

HP: you get 1D10+Con modifyier if you are a warrior type. Clerics and Druids get 1D8, Mages and Sorcerers are 1D4, Rouges are 1D6 iirc.

Some times you can take stuff from people houses. If they dont want you to, they will call the gaurds.
    Generally, if you are there on a quest, rob the place blind.

Your starts at AC = 10.
    Armor or bracers set it to a lower number. Field plate sets AC to 1.
    Dexterity will give a bonus to AC of 1 per point from 15 onwards. +1 for 15 Dex & +4 for 18 Dex.
    Sheilds will give another bonus from 1 to 5 (Senitle Sheild bought in Underdark).
    Rings and amulets also give a +1 or +2 bonus to AC.
    Spells also generally give you a bonus to AC.

13. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Much, much clearer now thank you :)
    Is it good idea to equip everyone with bows/crossbows and pound on enemy before they come close and than turn back to melee weapons? Should work in theory, but I miss pretty much everything so perhaps it's just waste of place and weight.

14. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

There is a Web spell, it's level 2 wizard spell. If your party wizard would use it on your enemies (preferably two Web spells, and a Greater Malison spell), they generally would not be able to move at all. So you'd be able to kill them with your crossbows.

15. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I see :)
    Well only downside of this game is that it just made me feel really dumb :(
    It was that genie in circus with his riddle. No way I could solve that. I really tried but almost couldn't understand half of it :( Is there more riddles like that?
    On to the game...
    Can I change NPCs whenever I feel like? Like in NWN? I mean there are no side effects?

16. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

You can change NPC, but ...erm...

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

Some of NPC are romancable, i.e. if they are in your party for long enough, you begin to have lovetalks with them. If you kick such an NPC out of the party, it is possible to get him\her to join, but the romance is lost. Romances add to the game, so I'd recommend you to be careful.

17. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

Jesus, no. I didn't get the tent riddle either. Did anyone else? Honestly? :D

18. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

Ack... it takes me quarter of an hour scribbling on a piece of paper each time (I can never remember the right answer...) but I *think* I got it first run through...

The later riddles are a big disappointment after that one though. Much too easy, though a few of them are nice and poetic :)

19. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Thanks God :)
    Luckily you can just kill the bastard and be done with it :p
    Any of you guys played Morrowind? I've tried a couple of times but could never get into it, BG2... It took me like 20 min. to get crazy about it :p
    I just ordered IW 1&2 as well :p Good buy social life...

20. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

The circus riddle ? Well, honestly, I did. ;)

I think there are only chapter 4 riddles after that. They are not very difficult, but they are annoying. 12 riddles in a row... *mutters*

Oh, and I never got "sponge" one. I just didn't know what "sponge" in English was. I got it on the second attempt because all others didn't seem to fit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.