1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need some help starting out.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Melhisedek, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Well I've got this chick "Aerie" and she is Mage/Cleric IIRC. Anyhow is it wise to teach her all of my spells that I saved (got Web one as well :) ) or should I wait for another, better mage?
    No idea if she is good or not, I just thought I might stumble upon better one :)

2. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

Aerie is generally considered to be a 'bad' character, so you may not want to invest much in her.

3. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Melhisedek - loads of people are going to say Nalia/Aerie/Haer'Dalis/Jaheira are crap because they're slightly less powerful than others.

In fact, Aerie causes dogs in the streets of Athkatla to howl, not because of stunning elven beauty, but because her high-pitched bloody whining about her wings that will bore through your skull like a drill after any length of time with her.

(In case anyone thinks I like Nalia any more, with my earlier comment about her not being all that bad - I don't :) She's hyprocritical.)

But on-topic - all the NPCs in the game are more than capable of dealing with the game when played well. So much effort was put into them that it'd be wrong to say they were badly/thoughtlessly designed - some do however have characterful flaws meant to make them more fun/challenging to play. If you were all invincible it'd be dull, right?

Just decide who you want in your party based on their personalities and general class type (healer, ranged support, flanker, tank.)

Once you've gone through once or twice then you can get hypercritical!

4. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Aerie.... oh. There were fights over whether she is good or bad, terrible, terrible fights.

I suggest you make a choice yourself. ;)

Actually, there are two merchants in the Promenade, who sell low-level scrolls, so you need not worry on the part of ''wasting them'.

*spoiler*

Aerie has romance, yes.

5. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Thanks a lot for your patience guys! But as usual here is more questions :)
    Well I have 2 "+1" swords (one bastard and one broad IIRC)
    As I have Paladin with 2h weapons proficiency all over him I bought one +1 2handed sword for me. Than I have Minsc who also have 2handed proficiency. I gave him some Halberd I think, but would he be better with a +1 sword and a shield untill I find something better for him?

How important are these proficiency points?

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

** SPOILER **

err ... :hahaerr: While in the dungeon, did you happen to retrieve some acorns? And did you go through a door nearby...

<end spolier>

Anyways, yes weapon proficiency is important. If you use a weapon you have invested no proficiency points in, you get a -4 to attack rolls. So its better to use a plain weapon you have some proficiency with rather than using enchanted weapons you cant hold properly.
    The more proficiency points you invest in a weapon type, the better your attack & damage get and you attack more often in a round.

7. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

yeah I got the acorns. Have them with me... Also have a bunch of "keys" like
    Wand of Fire key
    Wand of Frost key
    Wand of Summoning and so on... Do I still need them or can I just throw them away?

Also would it be possible to stash some of my staff in some empty chests around would they stay there untill I pick them up or?

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'd keep the keys if I were you in case you need them in the future. I'm sure they must have been put there for a reason.

Yes, you can stash stuff in boxes but it's a pain to go back for. Your party's inventory can't possibly be full already if you're still in the dungeon.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually, Melhisedek given that you are already outside of Irenicus' dungeon you will have no use for the wand of ... keys. Feel free to dump them.

10. Shrikant

If you have the wands :thumb: If you have the keys, might as well throw them away.
    There is simply no way you are going to be able to carry all the loot in your backpack. I generally prefer to keep mystuff in the Copper Coronet (dont worry, you will find it). The various tables allow me to store stuuf according to category, so i dont have to go through a lot of stuff to get what I want.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I know this has been discussed many times before, but you've got to be kidding me!

Aerie is the best NPC spellcaster, bar none. She can cast almost any spell in the game!

It's your choice whether or not to take her. Base your decision on her personality. Some people like it, some do not.

12. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Right now I'm in Slums and have agreed with a fellow to raise 20k gold for him and he will help me free Imoen.
    I'm in Copper Coronet and am about to free some slaves I believe.
    So I can throw out the keys? Did I miss something with them? I mean they are meant to be used somewhere...

13. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You could stuff all the junk you don't use into a chest in Gaelan's house, or somewhere else, for example, in Adventurer's Mart. This way you'll always be able to retrieve it.

14. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You didn't miss out on anything great and since you're out of the dungeon you can't get the stuff anymore so dump the keys.

On Aerie I agree with Klorox. I like to have two mages and two clerics, so it's nice with a two in one character. ;)

15. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Damn I'm so stupid :(
    Well I just found out that I have two "**" on "Two Weapon Style"
    I must've read Two and just assumed it had something to do with hands :( So how bad is it? So far I just use 2 handed swords...

And man I can't believe at the number of quests that I currently have in my Journal, it's crazy :)

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, two weapon style and two handed weapon style are usually mutually exclusive in the same character. I'd stick to one or the other. Both styles have their advantages. There are some great two handed weapons but dual wielding is also cool.

17. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Yeah I got that now, I really should sleep more :(
    So now I have 2 wasted points there :/ Hope it's not a biggie. I mean I can finish the game with just one kind of weapon right?

Also I start to understand people NOT liking Aerie or rather her personality (constant whining). I can't comment on hers battle capabilities but as far as brat goes she is spot on :)
    ( I'm considering NOT going to help her uncle at the circus just because of her :) )

18. Shrikant

Isn't your guy a Paladin? What are his profeciencies? And who else is in your party now?

If you have two weapon style you can use a single handed weapon in both hands. Just put one in the sheild slot. Put a longsword in each hand and see how cool it looks :)
    The style bonuses are secondary as compared to weapon profeciencies. If you are using a weapon you have spent no points in you suffer a -4 to attack rolls. As for the bonuses of each style, just read each the next time someone levels up.
    If you aren't a Fighter you will have enough points to be proficient in 3-4 weapons, so you can easily change your style of fighting.

19. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Well I have 20k to save Imoen, and that "G" guy send some boy to fetch me, I've also been aproached by Valen to meet his/her mistress at the graveyard.

So should I hurry and try to free Imoen or should I fix all quests I have left (1000s of them)

I mean freeing Imoen won't trigger next chapter or anything like that right?

20. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You can still finish the quests in Amn when you get Imoen back. If you plan to have her in your party you should probably free her sooner rather than later (so she'll get the XP from the quests you haven't done).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.