1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Avatar System

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Darien Noella, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There was a question in the chatroom what's my custom avatar exactly, so to avoid such questions in the future this is a (big) spam about it. And they say they buy only quality games...

As Tal already said - you have to use pic from games that are covered on these pages. My avatar is sucked outta Planescape: Torment.
    It displays a Harmonium officer. There are number of factions in that game and Harmonium is one of them.

However, in Torment I always end as a member of the faction called Revolutionary League (anarchists). And in the game if you're anarchist you can infiltrate other factions. That's why it displays under my nick "disguised". Spoiler: it is not allowed in the game to join nor infiltrate Harmonium faction.

Harmonium faction

These are some words from Sigil dwellers on this faction:

1. The primary faction of Sigil is, of course, the Harmonium. It is the faction dedicated to preserving law and order in Sigil, and there is no other more important function. Progress can only be achieved in a state of peace and harmony.
    The Harmonium is devoted to peace and harmony throughout the Planes... thus their name. They believe that the end justifies the means, however, and so are willing to do just about anything to get a fellow to see things 'their way.' Regardless of one's personal opinion of them, they do a fine job of policing Sigil's streets.""
    2. Harmonium credo is "Live right." Unfortunately for others, this credo often translates to "Live like we do, or else." They believe firmly in the rule of law, and thus they serve as the enforcers of Sigil's streets. Their red armor helps them stand out on the city streets.
    3. About themself: They say, and they're right, that once ye're one of the Harmonium, ye're a Harmonium for life. We're the bloods that try and make sure Sigil stays outta trouble. No rocking the spire, no folks getting too over-enthusiastic about hurting each other, keeping the city down to a low roar. We try and keep the peace, lad, and mosttimes, we do a decent job.

Famous Harmonium Members:

Ebb Creakknees is an old Harmonium member who seems to be content enough to sit in his chair at the Smoldering Corpse and run his mouth off to whomever will listen to him. He's a font of information, if you can get past all the long-winded explanations. Ebb will infiltrate Revolutionary League once in the game, but just as help to turn things in Curst back to normal. Sometimes Harmonium and Anarchists obviously have the same interests...
    Hamrys the Coffinmaker tells about his job that it is an act of perfectly ordered creation, every piece must fit just so for the betterment of the whole. It is much like a metaphor for the Harmonium philosophy...
    Marquez finally exposes Harmonium with reasons that made him resign that faction: "I found out that the Harmonium - a group I'd believed in from the start - was buying people, kidnapping them, taking them against their will and ruining their lives. It was sucking the life out of people for daring to be different, and I couldn't take it anymore. The slavers you'll be fighting are old comrades of mine." He spits on the floor. "Berks. Liars. You can't trust anyone anymore."

Harmonium related artifacts:

Tear of Salieru-Dei
    Grants: Permanent +1 Constitution
    Usable only by Lawful Good Characters
    This glistening red tear was shed by the martyred Harmonium officer Salieru-Dei when he was put to death on the Harmonium's home plane of Ortho. Mistaken as a member of the hated Revolutionary League, Salieru-Dei's obedience and loyalty was such he could not bring himself to challenge the allegations of his superiors. At the moment of his execution, three tears fell from his right eye and turned to stone as they fell upon the flagstones of the square.
    Ironically enough, an anarchist subsequently revealed the Harmonium's mistake to the public, discrediting them. Ever since, the tears of Salieru-Dei have been considered relics of the Harmonium... and used as a lesson to the evils of unquestioning obedience by the Revolutionary League.
    Spoiler: In the game you find only two of these.

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If I may be so bold as to make a point I feel is valid at least. Shouldn't someone at least have to reach a certain level to be eligable for a custom avatar. No, I'm not saying they should be handed out as prizes for reaching a certain number of posts; that might be seen as a way to a selfish means (not that I would mind a custom one myself as I never order stuff through the mail, but I'm not a whinner or complainer; I can live). Please note that this is not anything personal toward this person, but I just saw someone with a kick ass custom pic and he only had 76 posts?!? Kinda ruins the term newbie I suppose. Anyway, just my opinion (not trying to start trouble here Tal or Moderators), but I think people should have to wait till they reach a minumum post number before they can reap the rewards of the new system. Just my 1/2 cent worth.

3. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

it shouldn't really matter how many posts you have because even if you have a million posts you still may have contributed nothing, I mean look at all the posts that have no relevant info, its fine every once in a while, but if you aren't contributing what does it matter if you have a million posts all of them would be of no use to anyone else.

4. Zaragoth Guest

Crawl: I´m agreeing with you. totally.
    Not that I´ve so many posting myself but still.(I had, ´til people thought that I did it to get my avatar up higher levels..)

I wanna have my own Avatar!!! :(
    Buhhuuu........
    :D :D :D :D :D
    -----------------------------
    Honestly, I think that it also should depend on how many hours a day you visit the forums.
    In that case, I´d have to get an avatar!

[This message has been edited by Zaragoth (edited July 06, 2001).]

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Why are you whining?

Tal was strict who and how can get custom avatars - and he is the chief here.

Anyway, if you're so eager to get one (no matter number of your posts), stop complaining, leave the lazy bones stasis and read what I spammed here on the theme how to get a custom avatar sometime ago. http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002816.html

You can't be arsed to do it? Bah! Then you don't deserve one.
    Unless you don't buy a book from Amazon thru Tal's link here.

Ok, guy hasn't got lot of posts, but he probably bought a book or few. What do you think, that Tal won't give him credits for that? That 'lil percent Tal gets from that transaction helps these pages to be still alive.

If you can't be arsed to do that also, I suggest that you try to bribe Tal with cash. :mad:

6. I guess you guys are probably talking about me.

a. I'm not really a newbie, I just watched and didn't join in for about three months, then I joined from elsewhere under the name "maxiwoo", I used this for a while until that connection was removed, so I resorted to my home account as miniwoo, who I recently changed to Sir Yerri. (protector of the weak, guardian of the light etc, etc...)

b. I'm not the one who came up with this (cool) avatar system, I just read about it and used it as a reason to buy a couple of books I've been needing for a while.

7. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, Extremist is right, as gruff as that response is. ;)

The custom avatars have nothing to do with the amount of posts a person has. I think it's a great idea to get people involved in the site by sending in useful submissions and, hopefully, some decent articles for the Game and/or Fantasy World sections. (Hint,Hint!!)

For people who are not so creatively inclined, the next best contribution they can make is monetary support. Anyone who takes the time to order something online rather than running down to the local bookstore for instant gratification is more than deserving of a reward.

Everyone likes to feel special, but I honestly think that this is a more than fair way to mete out recognition.

8. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

So what happens to people like me who know jack about D&D and dont like to buy online? Do we stay under the old avatar system? Just like before?

9. Gash Gems: 14/31

Oh yeh and just thought I would also say i dont appreciate going down to a Xvart. Did I go down to a Xvart? Or up to a Xvart?

10. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] better watch it! Tal has his new sorcerer avatar to punish you for double posting!

11. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Tal and Darien are right. It should be about who contributes to the board. If we go by number of posts I think we will get a lot of trash/spam posts of the boards. To the most part we have avoided this so far. If we go by quality of posts who is to be the judge. Shall we elimate all the post credit for those in that 'one word' topic. It was 1000 posts of trash in my opinion but is my opinion the one that counts. Should it be by time on the board. I've been here longer than most but do you see me whinning?

No, in the end it's only a picture. Relax! I'm not here to see cool pictures - there are lots of better sites on the net for that. :) I'm here to talk and interact with you guys. It's the people who are important not the window dressing. I'm glad Tal has put the work into having the avators, they add class to his site, but don't get fixated on then. Write soom good posts and learn and share from each other.

PS - I am happy to have my wolf avator back it was a long way to werewolf hunter to get the coolest picture again. :D

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited July 06, 2001).]

12. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Gash, you've been around here long enough to know how to edit your own posts. Get rid of the double post.

And you don't need any D&D proficiencies to contribute something useful. Check out the Fantasy Worlds section to see what we've got do far, and come up with your own ideas. http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/index.php

Meanwhile, the non-custom avatars system is being revamped. Check out the FAQ for the new listings and level information.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  13. Gash Gems: 14/31

OK sorry

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Whatnots and BG2 forum didn't finish updating threads fully today, so they'll be restarted again on Sunday.
    Just in case you're wondering why your avatars aren't showing in places. But, as always, if you edit your posts or make a new reply, the new html will be generated and the avatars will show correctly.

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

By the way, I absolutely love mine.

I'd like to thank the Acadamy, my Savior, and my wife. A special thank you to all the little people who made this possible.

You really like me! You really do! :D :p

16. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Doh! I no longer seem to be bigger.

Darien and your wings...

/me grumbles

oh well, i just won't count extra appendages

:D

17. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

OK, maybe my point was lost somewhere in all of this. I'm not saying I'm deserving of a custom avatar; far from it. I resigned to the fact that unless I send cash straight to Tal (and I would if he would email me his address :)), I probably won't get one. And honestly, I'm fine with that. I'm a longstanding member of these boards and one of the top posters. And I'm proud to say I got that way not by spamming junk but by enjoying myself conversing on these boards with many of you and posting as many intelligent thoughts as I felt the rest of you could stomach. Maybe I'm the only one who really takes the whole level thing seriosuly. I dunno. Perhaps I enjoyed the old system a little too much. Such is the way of life I suppose.

And to Sir Yil,....sorry bout that. I should have know better as I remember the name change now from Miniwoo. Again, I really am sorry about using you as a, well now it seems very unjust example. I should have know better, but like I said, it wasn't meant to be personal; I really hope you didn't take it as such. Just an easy way for me to make a seemingly unapreciated point.

18. Crawl, no problem, I know its nothing personal.

19. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Crawl, just to say one thing more.

For only God knows how many times I said this here: I start to respect people when I admire contents in their posts - not because NUMBER of posts.

At least, now there won't probably be many greedy ones who want to spam and spam and spam and spam - just to get higher level avatar. Ain't that good?

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Crawl, go read the FAQ again. Who said you don't qualify for a custom avatar by count one?

You will have to get your butt to the chatroom in order to get it, however. I will be there about 10 hours from now...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.