1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Forum For CRPG Discussion Only?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Feb 9, 2006.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

The Citadel? Castles are common enough cRPG themes, and it covers some of the futuristic RPGs too - there are Citadel stations in both System Shock and (less prominently) KotOR 2, not to mention Citadel Miniatures who did (do? it's been too long... :shake: ) all the little figures for Warhammer.

Though - truth be told - I think the Playground covers things more than adequately at the moment, and I can't bear the thought of the extra strain in my poor fingers from moving the mouse wheel down... one... more ... line... :shake: I mean, c'mon Tal! I'm heading for early arthritis here as it is! ;)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

"The Other Playground"? :p

Perhaps "Not-So-Final Fantasies"? No, that's stupid.

Ummm, "Electric Roles"? :bad:

3. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

"Other Legends"?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Au contraire «Not-So-Final Fantasies» is kinda neat I think.

5. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

"Mythical Games" :hmm:

I like it too!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The ten foot pole is a D&D convention, and we already have separate forums for all D&D games... not to mention that none of them use it.

chev, I mean computers and consoles... not much interest in anything else here. Though if there was interest, it could be covered there too, I guess. I'll have to see.

How about "Hacking & Slashing for Fame & Fortune"? Or just "For Fame & Fortune".

Ooh, I think I have it. "Dragons Not Required"! :D

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Gold and glory isn't bad, either. ;)

How about the OMG n00B LOL U SuCk!!!!11 forum for MMORPG, by the way? :shake:

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I just saw that movie on Showcase. :lol:
    /starts taking notes :book:

More off the top of my head ideas:

Take a Pause (as in the pause button)
    Reboot (no, that's been done)
    The Gaming Connection
    Gaming Lounge

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

In the old days ( :geezer: ) these games used to be called Adventure Games. So maybe "The Adventurers' Mart" is a suitable name.

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Were they HB? You talk of the DOS time eh? :shake:

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ofelix, yeah. Anyone who complains about the graphics in BG needs to go back to the RPGs I started with. They had no graphics at all, just text.

Example:

Computer: The night was dark. You approached a door in the castle. What do you want to do?

You: Go through.

Computer: Sorry, I don't understand.

You: Turn handle.

You: Open door.

Computer: The door opens with a creak. You are standing in a hall lit by flickering candles. A corridor leads to your left and stairs head up ahead of you. What do you want to do?

You: Check for traps.

You: [turns off computer and goes outside to play]

12. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

SOunds like early Ultima, or the old history games I used to play in school.

Compy: There is a wall behind you.
    Daie: CLimb wall
    Compy: That action is not possible
    Daie: Jump over wall
    Compy: The wall is too high to jump.
    Daie: *losing patience* Mount wall?
    COmpy: You mount the wall, and see a house.
    Daie: Who the hell 'mounts' a wall? Teacher, the game is perverted!

13. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I've recently started playing Warhammer. It's good, and I have some lovely stories to share.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I would also be pro making it also refer to tabletop gaming that aren't D&D - despite the little interest in that, as there's nowhere else that threads like that fit well. Maybe extend it to wargaming, seeing that they're similar.

As for name ... still no idea, and I'm not a big fan of anything suggested so far - 'Dragons not Required' would be cool as part of the description, but not really for the name :p

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Gaming Lounge could refer to tabletop games, too. :cry:

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sorry Harb, but real adventures were always a completely separate genre from RPGs. You might get the impression that they were the same since they've all but died out over the last few years, but that's not really the case.

Anyway, I haven't really seen any suggestions I'd like better than Dragons Not Required yet, so I'll go with that for now. If anyone comes up with something better, I can change it later.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Rollplaying Heaven? :shake:

[ February 24, 2006, 19:37: Message edited by: chevalier ]

18. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I think Assgard was very witty :lol:

Or you could name it after that text game, YAGWAD!

(Yes, Another Game With A Dragon!)

19. Taluntain

Media:
    There's a slight problem with my idea of moving RPG threads into the new forum... namely, there are way more RPG threads in The Playground than any other kind. So I'll be moving the non-RPG threads to the new forum for now, and then make a switch of the forum names.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LOL! I was thinking exactly that thought and was about to PM you. I think it would be far easier to change the Playground's name and create the new forum as the Playground.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.