1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New party creation help please

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by ugly, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Xyfiel Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Long time visitor, first time poster
    I have spent many hours planning all drow parties so let me share me exp

I agree with Chevalier that you need a pure sorcerer, a rogue2/wizard, a cleric. The last character really depends on your play style.
    I suggest this:

Rogue2/wizard(diviner)x
    9/20/16/20/10/5
    thief and versatile caster, enchantment/necromancy/transmutation
    take bard1 if you like for bard items
    take evocation instead of enchantment if you use the cleric of bane

sorcerer
    6/20/14/16/4/20
    evocation and necromancy, talker

now you have some choices for the other two
    heres some ideas you can pick from
    1)fighter1/monk1/cleric of banex
    18/20/14/5/18/5
    enchantment and fighter feats
    all weapons, evasion, wis bonus to ac, ton of spells.(take ranger over fighter if you duel wield.
    2)fighter4/talos26
    18/16/18/5/18/5
    fighter feats and evocation
    3)monk13/banex
    10/20/14/13/18/5
    use this character as a decoy and buff her as such
    her spell resistance should block all spells, both evasions, immunes to disease/poison, use expertise and you can have a high ac, also decent speed. use xbow early for damage. Best used with the talos so you have one melee char.
    4)fighter2/ranger1/monk1/helm26
    18/20/14/5/18/5
    5)another sorcerer
    6/20/16/12/6/20

2. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Can you really make a decent 'trapdigger' out of a 2nd level Thief? Anyway, you are correct by saying you need no thief, as there is no opportunity to be stealthy. I still can't see how you guys survive with a party of 4, including 2 mages... Unless you start at 20th level of course.

3. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Concerning the trapdigging thief: With high intelligence you can distribute a LOT of skill point every level, and since finding traps depends on your, well, "find traps" skill and NOT your rogue level, you're set. The one rogue level is usually just for starting skill points. Second and third are mostly for Evasion / Uncanny Dodge.

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

If your wizard is Drow or Teifling he starts off with 20 in Int which gives him a lot of skill points. Also you really dont need Spellcraft more than 10-15 and Alchemy more than 12-16.
    So there are a lot of skill points you have to spend on the rouge skills.

Also if I remember correctly every paladin in your party get some stats +1 after the Lost Followers quest. I'll find which they are when I get there this time round.

5. Largon Thunderhorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I did really well with 4, and I'm no expert player by any means. I have a paladin cleric, barbarian/druid, monk, and sorcerer.

I made two poor decisions: 1) the monk is weak, I wouldn't take a single class monk again. 2) I took my paladin to level 4, which really got him behind in the cleric department. The value of a good heal spell in the middle of combat cannot be underestimated, plus the level 7 Greater Lathanders Shield is awesome.

If you have 4, all 4 should be capable of spellcasting, and I would choose races that don't give a ECL penalty so that you get those high level spell ASAP. You should think twice about this tho, if you plan on taking that party into HOF, since the racial bonuses will matter more there.

You should have two sorcerers in the party: 1 pure sorcerer (to learn high level spells ASAP)and one fighter/sorcerer or paladin/sorcerer to learn important spells that the other one bypasses. You should of course have a cleric. The cleric should MC to a fighter class, because there are great buffs that the cleric can only cast on himself. This is all IMO, of course, since others may have other experiences, but that's what my experience has told me.

[ May 25, 2004, 21:25: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I too think that a 4 person party is the strongest, purely for the fact that they advance levels more quickly.

7. Largon Thunderhorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thinking about it some more, based on how weak my monk was and the fact that I still won, I think the game is fairly easy to beat with 3. Of course, some of the tough battles will still take some reloads to beat. If I were to take a party of four through again, my fourth would be a 'fun' class. I would take a bard, or something weird like a bard/druid, instead of the monk, just to see how strong I can make him.

I actually think the 'dynamic duo' concept is interesting, and makes the game challenging all the way through. However, it forces you to take two powergaming characters.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.