1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Newbie help needed

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by p0cketaces, Feb 5, 2007.

1. p0cketaces Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

well i just started playing and am enjoying the game so far. i did your first four steps and it seems fine so...anyways thanks for your help. btw im playing as a beserker/mage so i'll see how that goes. thanks again.

2. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Excellent choice! I think you'll have a lot of fun with that dual-class.

3. zodden Gems: 1/31

your in for the game of your life. I still remember the first time I played all those years ago. Still think its the best series ever made.

I would have used BG2 fixpack version 2 over Bald simply because thats not being supported any more but by all means it still does work and fixes many things. Not nearly as much as fixpack does imo.

Once you play through eventually you will get the itch to play through again with a different class/alignment. Then I would start to add some more mods. There are mods that add content like quests, mods that add new NPCs that can join you and even huge mods that add whole new areas to the game (some are better then others) for sure.

You can even use a mod like BGT which means you can start the game from the beginning of BG1 and take that char you created all the way to the end of ToB, all while adding others mods to the package. I guess your a ways from that point, but it can be fun.

4. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Baldurdash fixpack is preferable to BG2 fixpack for two main reasons:

First, Baldurdash fixpack is bugfree and reliable, while BG2 fixpack is still a chunk of bugs according to the bug reports in their own forums. It needs one or two years of testing to become reliable.

Second, Bg2 fixpack makes many arbitrary changes to the game which cannot be called "Fixes" by any means. They are mostly subjective and arbitrary tweaks.

Playing the game with no fixpack is not really recommended; because there are certain important bugs which you can easily fix by installing the Baldurdash fixpack.

EDIT: A typo fixed

[ February 07, 2007, 14:00: Message edited by: Sikret ]

5. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

@p0cketaces:

Sound like a cool couple of classes you have chosen.

Believe me, you are going to get hooked on this game :)

And if you have any kind of problems, we are here to help. :)

Well.. those of us who are not obsessed with pointless discussions which confuse and scare newbies away.

[ February 07, 2007, 13:54: Message edited by: Ironhawk Skylord ]

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

And its still supported, at least its WeiDU version: here.

Since mine was one of the two viewpoints in this matter and I'm a mod designer and creator, I suppose this is directed at me as well. I would like to remind that I was the only one who offered a usable list of installation instructions to p0cketaces, so I don't think you're entirely right.

I can't do anything if CamDawg jumps on people all the time who don't promote his site's mod, but I believe I'm not here to confuse anyone when I recommend something that is based on my experience and knowledge about the game. I'm not unfamiliar with the possible risks an overloaded "fixpack" may cause for the game and for future mods. So I provided 6 steps and not 4 steps because that is what I believe to be correct. When I say I don't recommend something, it has a reason, not that I would want to debate for "countless pages" in a "flamewar". It's a pity when I'm tried to be forced into such a thing, due to modders who consider this to be some sort of competition, unfortunately. :(

I understand you may be confused p0cketaces, because as a new player you don't know who to give credibility and what to do. This is why I eventually advised what Ironhawk said that you should just play the game without any fixpack for the time being. What Sikret said is true, therefore it has a low chance that you will encounter some more serious bug, but it's not too likely. On the other hand, if you changed your mind at any time for some reason, you can always click the link to Baldurdash-WeiDU I provided in one of my previous posts or the one provided by T2Bruno for Baldurdash -- and instead of accepting what modders say on various places, try it out in your own game and judge it on your own. No need to listen to us. ;)

I had to correct (or rather extend) what zodden said in case of Baldurdash, but I fully agree with him that you shouldn't install any mods except a fixpack before playing the game a few times. :)

The Berserker/Mage was a good choice indeed. Choose your spells wisely! :)

7. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I recommend the BG2 Fixpack rather than Baldurdash. Have fun!

8. p0cketaces Gems: 1/31

well im out of the dungeon and into the city. i sold most everything i had but it still didnt get me much money to buy anything else. tomorrow i will be looking for adventures/jobs from the city. its been a blast so far even though ive died a few times. glad to see so many people still love this game and have varied opinions. talk to you soon.

9. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

@p0cketaces:

Don't worry, there is a lot of sidequests in the city. You will get plenty of money, interesting items and NPC's who wants to join your party.

I am glad you are enjoying yourself :)

10. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Not for free though, be careful! ;) Well there is always reload, but a finished battle with near-dead characters with 2 HP, or a glorious victory because of good tactics and ideas... both are fun / good feeling!

11. Die_Bad_Guys Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

One thing to remember about dual-classing: until your new class surpasses your old class, your old class is inactve. So don't wait too long to dual over to a mage.

The best levels to dual over are either 9 for max hp from fighter, or 13 for the final extra half attack.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.