1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPC thief?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Geoff, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Do you think that you should be able to 'back-stab' with a bow and arrow? What I mean is that you hide in the shadows and be within a certain range and fire an arrow for 4x damage etc. Just a thought

2. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

no you are not

3. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You misunderstood the question, Balle. He asked if you should be able to, not if you actually can do it. I'm not sold on the notion, but I haven't entirely made up my mind yet either.

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Of course there should be a required distance you should be behind the enemy. I think that Temple of Elemental Evil has this feature.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Geoff: I'd probably get rid of Improved Invisibility and use Improved Haste instead... :D

Same mince meat...half the time. :D

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Regarding true sight - what about the cloak of non-detetion?

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    True sight does not go through the cloak of non-detection. You can try this out with the group in the north part of the sewers. As soon as you go near them, the mage will cast true sight, but the group still cannot see you.

8. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Ooo, that cloak just gets better and better :)

I was thinking about that arrow backstabbing idea too, and also came up with the conclusion that if some backstab damage is allowed, it should place a restriction on the distance the player is from the enemy. And it should be pretty close. I'd say the backstab modifier should be X2 up till level 9, say, and then X3 from then on. And as you gain levels, you get to move further and further back when doing the backstab, though never further than, say, half the max range of the bow (ie the distance that a player can see in daylight).
    That's if you should be able to backstab with a bow at all. Personally, I think it makes some sense, because if you are hidden and they aren't expecting it and you can take your time to prepare the shot, you can hit them in the back of the neck, whereas if you can't take your time, you'll just be aiming at their chest mostly, the widest area on their body.
    On the other hand, making the poison in your arrows more deadly as you gain levels would make sense as well.

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

In 3E D&D there is definitely a multiplyer if a hidden theif makes an attack with a bow. I'm not sure how it progresses (I only played a thief up to the first couple of levels) but I would assume it works in a similar way to the backstab multiplyer.

[Edit] - The mod Shadows over Sauberer adds an npc thief (although the mod is around 300Mb)

[ October 22, 2004, 12:33: Message edited by: Stu ]

10. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't think thieves should be able to backstab with ranged weapons.

Geoff: I am glad you are enjoying it. It does make some fights easier, but remember that you will not be able to backstab and that some foes (e.g. undead) are immune to Poison.

Stu: I think you're referring to Sneak Attack. This isn't a multiplier, it's a bonus of 1d6 extra damager (more at higher levels) and is applicable to both ranged and melee combat.

11. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

pretty much equivilant to the backstab multiplier, however. Ultimately, that is what I would like to see in BG2, but since that's probably more difficult, backstab multiplier with bows (though minimal, not as much as swords) would be nice.
    Andyr: Don't you think that if the thief is calm and close enough to shoot the guy in the back of the neck, don't you think that would warrant extra damage?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.