1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN player thinking about getting BG2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dice, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Doesn't ANYBODY watch The Simpsons ? :o

[ April 23, 2006, 02:51: Message edited by: Gregor ]

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    O.K., I love The Simpsons although I didn't remember that quote. :)

I ended up taking the bus downtown to buy the only copy we could find anywhere around here. It came with a bunch of disks but no instruction manual. Is that normal? I'm wondering if the reason that it was the last one available is because it was missing something. Well I'll go and install it and then see.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

I'm a Simpsons junkie and even I didn't get that until you mentioned the Simpsons. I believe it is Homer who says it after saying something like, "I don't want to oversell this, but..." :shake:

@Dfly:
    Yes, there should be a manual. A big 250 page waste of paper bound with rings like a spiral notebook on crack. But when you install the game, the manual will be put on your hard drive right in the BGII - SoA folder as an Adobe document. So it's no big loss unless you like clutter.

EDIT:
    Just to make sure, you got four SoA discs and a ToB disc, right?

[ April 23, 2006, 03:41: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

4. Gregor Gems: 7/31

THANK you. Was that so hard? :D

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Dragonfly, if you got the special edition (special my ass), it comes with 4 BG2:SoA discs, the bonus merchant disc, ToB disc, and no manual. I got that for about 20 bucks, but since I had a previous manual (and an online one), it didn't matter to me. You didn't get a bootleg copy or anything ;)

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    The box says Baldurs Gate II The Collection. Yes I got all 4 SoA disks, 1 ToB disk and a bonus disk. I guess I got the kind that doesn't come with a manual but after playing it for a bit I'm pretty sure I have the hang of it. I only really want the manual for picture references for the little spell icons.

@Saber - My game is genuine unless they bootleg disks, put them in boxes and sell them in Staples.

I would also like to say that I started playing the game two hours ago and only stopped now because I HAVE to go to sleep. I think it was worth the $25 Canadian that I payed for it. (And more)

Can someone tell me if I should install the extra content disk right now and should I install the expansion now even though I've only just started the first campagne?

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

No offense...but NWN is for noobs when you have the glory that is Baldurs Gate 2 on the other hand...

If you do not get it...you should burn your computer and never play a game again... :p

8. Gregor Gems: 7/31

@Dragonfly:

Yes, you'll want to install the expansion disc right away: it adds gameplay to the SoA portion of the game. It's not VITAL, but you would be missing out. I believe it also fixes a few things, like the mirror image spell (a crowd of images in a circle rather than a straight line) and, crucially, lets you use the TAB key to highlight openable containers and doors, as well as check your characters stats. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Never played with the bonus merchant's disc, so I couldn't tell you if you'd really want it, but who doesn't want more loot?

I'm thinking you should have installed all the discs together, though...I don't know if installing them now is going to have any affect on your current game. If you're still in Irenicus' dungeon, you could probably install the merchant's disc. In fact, if you're still in the dungeon, it might be better to just install all the discs and start a new game. Fel or somebody could tell you for sure.

You should also install the official ToB patch; it fixes several small bugs in the game. And you might want the Baldurdash fixpack, which fixes several more, and also lets you customize the game a bit. These are not really mods; you'd still be getting the core BG experience. You can find both the patches by following the links here:

Pocket Plane Group Mod List

The official patch is under, well, the official patch link, and Baldurdash is under the UNofficial link. Have fun!

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You might as well install all the disks. The TAB function alone is worth its weight in gold. There's only one reason not to, and that's a cheesey armour bug that is fixed by the ToB disk so you'll never notice it anyway.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Baldur's Gate 1 might feel old, but BG2 not really too much so. Different but not old. If IWD2 doesn't feel bad, BG2 shouldn't either. I would suggest playing BG1 before 2 if you want to play it at all because BG1 will feel old after 2.

11. dshighway Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Get BG2 and ToB, Still the King.

I have played the hell out of NWN and love it in its own way. For me I had to stumble upon a Persistant World to fully enjoy NWN, a PW with strict Role Playing rules mind you. The DMs run a really good game and its more like sitting around a table with a group of friends. (Not all PWs are like this though, lots of crap ones too)

Recently I have retired NWN (it got old after 3 years) And am back to BG2 and I just finished Ice WInd Dale 2 again. BG2 and its story really is where its at. Its fully imersing (sp?)

12. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I would suggest Tutu, then neither will feel old :p

Though that's of course not really 'authentic'.

13. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It's kind of like owning a bottle of crap whiskey and wondering if you should drink expensive gin instead.

get bg2 or shoot yourself in the face with a cannon, because it's better than NWN in almost every regard!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.