1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obama Wins! - So What's Next?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Chandos it's not my issue but one raised by a fair number of people, but i will endeavor to answer your question.:D
    It depends on the city.
    Charlotte(670k pop.)* starts at ~$32k/year(31,924.00 to be exact),
    Raleigh(375k pop.) - starts at ~$34K($34,291),
    Gastonia(71k pop.) - starts at ~$30k/year($29,796),
    Belmont(9k pop.) - starts at ~$26k/year($25,853),
    Mt Holly(10k pop.) - starts at ~$28k/year($27,643).
    That works out to roughly $16/hr in charlotte, $17/hr in raleigh, $15/hr in gastonia, $13/hr in belmont & $14/hr in mt holly. The chiefs in these depts make between $56k up to $100k(which is roughly $28-$50/hr)

As none of the police officers sent will be chiefs you can see that even $30/hr is a high figure to use.:)

* - charlotte is the 19th largest city in america so it is fairly indicitive of larger city payrates.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For an exact breakdown, you'll have to speak to the secret service and the office of special planning. Bush's inaugural in 2005 cost the federal govt. and the city of Washington DC well over $100 million for security alone. NY Times:
    So I'd say it's more than simply a question of man-hours, no? But if I had to guess, aside from the manpower figures you cited, they'd need...

Sniper placement, humvees, helicopters, air support, civilian coordination personnel, catering (feeding those 528,000 extra man hours would get expensive I would imagine), bulletproof vehicles, public relations and press management, DC S.W.A.T., special forces, bomb-squad, haz-mat teams and ambulances on full-alert standby, local media coordination efforts, extra rental of security screening equipment, paying extra to the union crews setting up for the event for the long hours and high-risk nature of the event (not to mention drayage for all that security equipment), etc. And all this for what's expected to be the largest crowd for an inauguration in our history. Then consider the added security required because he's our first black "muslim" President...and voila - security ain't cheap.

I'm sure I'm missing half of it, here. After all that's just off the top of my head, and I'm not even a former marine or an ex-deputy sherrif. I hear those guys are experts on this sort of thing. ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  4. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Martaug - You asked the question about the other $52 million go, not me. But I figured you knew.

When my dad retired, he claimed he was making 42k, but he did not start there. He was a bailiff at the county courthouse. He made more on his second job, such as working concerts and sports games. He claimed he would not work for less than 30.00 an hour and that was ten years ago. But you know cops, they never tell the truth anyway. ;)

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Great answer Chandos -- thanks (I'm being sincere here).

6. martaug Gems: 23/31

Actually DR, i think a lot of that quoted figure for the bush inauguration went to the last thing listed
    Just HOW many federal workers are we talking here?:confused:

Chandos, A LOT of police used to make much more money on off-duty work than they ever did on the job. Up until about 4-5 years ago, the police in charlotte could work off-duty & get up to $45/hr at a lot of places. Unfortunately someone raised a stink & the city set up an official policy & rules that makes them go through the PD & restricts the pay to under $20/hr.(that sucks when you used to be able to get twice that:mad:)

In gastonia, it used to be any peace officer(city, county & deputy sherrifs) could due off-duty work for any company but they set up policy about which department could work for whom.

Yep, off-duty work used to be great but is has been regulated just like the primary job now.:o

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorry, but $150million for televised inauguration party is just NUTS!

New Zealand elected a new head of state in pretty much the same week as the USA did. Our new prime minister was sworn in on 19 November (not two months later) and he would have been lucky to get a $1.50 sandwich for his lunch, much less close down the whole capital city and put it on TV.

If John Key had tried to have a multi million dollar party for becoming Prime Minister he would have been lynched (after we all stopped laughing at the sheer lunacy of the idea). I have no idea why you Americans put up with such nonsense.

8. martaug Gems: 23/31

Harbourboy(:lol: i had originally written harborbouy :doh:), this is the US of A you are talking about here!:hippy:
    When have we ever done anything the normal way?:banana:

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Because we have more than 15 people show-up for the occasion.

10. martaug Gems: 23/31

:shake::lol:

Thats just bad chandos, it's mot his fault the whole country is about half the population of New York City.:D

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just saw the swearing in ceremony. Now he's giving his speech.

Awesome day. :banana:

12. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yes, but I feel Feinstein made a serious mistake in her speech. She shamelessly attacked President Bush repeatedly through her speech and while I don't disagree with the content of anything she said, I just don't feel that this was the place for it. Like the good Dr said "he's dead, Jim." We don't need to kick the man while he's down. As soon as it becomes available, I'll get a transcript and post it here and show you what I'm talking about.

13. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Please do. I only tuned in at the end of the string quartet, 5 minutes before the swearing in (what can I say...there's a House marathon on right now :) ). I've always thought Feinstein was kind of a drip, but even I'm surprised that she'd do that. She should take a few cues from her new Commander in Chief and learn a thing or two about class and temperence.

14. Drew

Media:
    She never attacked him directly, relying instead on the incredibly unsubtle rhetorical device of using pointed metaphors which clearly implicated Mr. Bush. It was so brazen, though, that I doubt even the most oblivious viewers missed it.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    :wave: I've waited years to say this: "Bush just left Washington." :wave:

16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1) What color, ethnic group, race is John Key? This is a big day and one I didn't expect to live to see.

2) How much of that 15 million was spent on security? It would be nice if we could keep our new president alive for a few years.

3) We love extravaganzas. Nothing like a good show to cheer us up when we are down.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I didn't see Feinstein's speech, but Obama seemed to do the same thing to a certain extent.

18. Drew

Media:
    Feinstein made Obama look downright complimentary of the Bush administration...

19. martaug Gems: 23/31

Hahaha!
    Apparently more than 2 :D

the oath is "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

This is what they said
    :aaa::doh::bang:

[edit]
    Oh yeah the stock market dropped below 8,000 today(after 12 noon), just like it did in november after he won the election:D

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Below 8000? And what was it when GWB took office? And what was it when he left?

I also noticed the "grin" on the end of your comment. Does that mean you are GLAD that the market went down?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.