1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Paladins

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sir Belisarius, Nov 4, 2000.

1. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, this is my 4th time through the game. I decided to be a paladin only because it is something I NEVER have played before. I usually play a Chaotic-Good mage of some sort. I decided that Carsomyr was just too good to pass up. I personally have nothing against paladins except for the fact that they are too boring to play. Always have to follow laws and morals.

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Sometimes...Following the rules can be even harder than breaking them.

Plus, paladins routinely have to put themselves in the forefront of batle, even if likely to be defeated. I've always thought it takes a stronger person to be good than to follow an evil path.

I've never thought they were boring. Maybe stuffy at times...But it's never been boring for me.

But, once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny....

3. Elverath Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Off topic but-

i think in the expansion they should add another class- the Shadow Knight (but perhaps with a different name, since that is from everquest). they would be LAWFUL EVIL paladin types with their own special abilities such as...Lay on Death instead of lay on Hands! yeah..thats good...

i heard that some people dissagree with this because you can become a fallen paladin, but with that you have to START good and work your way down to become an evil, and your still rated as lawfull good, even though you probably killed 4 peasants to get where you are. so whatever. just an idea.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You could always have an Anti-Paladin. Instead of healing, they could cause wounds, instead of curing disease, they could cause them w/spells, be able to cast protection from good, etc...

That would make them more formidable. A fallen Paladin is just a fighter...Without the weapon specialization. It would be cool to fight an Anti-Paladin though...I think they introduced that as an NPC for old p & P D&D.

5. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I played a Paladin as my party leader in IWD, but probably won't play one in BG2- there are just too many other intersting classes/kits to explore.

I always play the game as morally as possible; I feel guilty when I do bad things or mistreat NPCs in the game, like being rude to a shopkeep. (I feel guilty about offending a bunch of 0s and 1s - what an idiot I am). So I like Paladins because of the nobility they force me to adhere to; I actually don't have to adjust the way I play when I have a Paladin - except maybe having my thieves stealing when Dudly/Deidra Do-Right is in the next room (even stealing makes me feel guilty, so I don't do it much).

On a similar note, I have a real problem letting evil NPCs join my party, I hate doing it, hate with a capital F. I'd just as soon Edwin and Viconia go jump in a volcano. I'm supposed to be a hero, dammit!

[This message has been edited by Neverworlder (edited November 06, 2000).]

6. Crazy J Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You are right, it's hard to justify letting evil characters into your party, when you are a Paladin, or any character of a Lawful Good alignment! Maby if there was a quest where you could reform the evil characters, then I could see it. Actually, it's more likely the evil characters will corrupt the good characters, than the other way around, unless they have a very strong will.

7. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31

Sir Balisarius is correct, there is an Anit-Paladin kit for D&D, but it is just not a kit offered. They can also summon undead instead of turning them.

8. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Crazy J, you are mistaken and obviously know nothing of the strength of virtue! When evil characters come face to face with the epitome of good, they first go into their denial and anger stages, but later they will see their own follies and repent!

We Paladins are so pure that after a bath, the water becomes cleaner!

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  10. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ah, i knew there was a reason that paladins always had a purify water spell memorised, just so they could claim that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.