1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Alignment

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Arendil, Jun 21, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Actually, things are not so simple. Under any reasonable law, every citizen is entitled and sometimes even required to help another in such circumstances. Waiting for an official police patrol or task force is not required. I suppose LG would be the most likely to follow the law as best possible, while CG would use less than legitimate means. An LG person would never leave another living human to die for the sake of a regulation passed by a parliament. Justice is served in a proper trial after the criminal is apprehended. An LG policeman would try his best to capture the criminal alive to make him answer for the crime. A CG one could use a convenient opportunity to shoot him. An NG one probably wouldn't risk his life but wouldn't try to tweak the justice with a "stray" bullet, either. This is still likelihood more than a rule. If you decide your own life is worth more than the criminal's, it isn't unlawful, nor is capturing the bastard alive a reason for alignment shift to lawful.

2. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

We should all just face it:

1) for 12 or 13 years, each and every of us woke up early in the morning to go to an institution where we had to sit in little rows all day listening to various authority figures tell us what to do, where to go, and how to act. Then they told us to do work at home, and dutifully, we did it. In fact, we soon began to judge ourselves by how well we did the work; i.e., how well these authority figures approved of us. Even if we were secretly resentful, we'd show up the next day bright and early, ready for more.

2) for 3-4+ years after that, we all went (are going) to another institution of higher learning, where we somehow feel free because the schedule is less rigid, but will you look what happens, we spend even more time working than we did before, as though we've completely internalized every single authority figure in our lives.

3) then we all go to work. We show up exactly when asked (or maybe push it a little by being late once in a while) for fear of loosing our job. Perhaps some of us have even spent some time in the army, when we had to make our beds so tightly a coin would bounce and where our boots had to be shining at formation or there'd be hell to pay. Our days are fully regulated by the clock, from the morning alarm to the tv shows we watch at night to unwind. And if not by the clock, then by coin. In fact, the computer is like some kind of super-clock, and look how much time we spend in front of it, both for work and relaxation. And when we do unwind, say, drinking at a bar or dancing at a club, we might laugh to our friends about how the boss is a clueless jerk and that at least we're cool enough to know that the system is all a joke, hey, there we all are again early monday morning.

4) DnD is this fantasy world with monsters and stuff, and we role-play characters that adventure and kill, committing murder and mayhem at the drop of a hat. This is the world that gives us the alignment system. Yet almost none of us has any real criminal record at all, not even a misdemeanor.

Conclusion? Let's face it: we're all Lawful Neutral.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Ummm.....

1. Showed up somewhat irregularly for 9 years, ended uå spending some of that time institutionalized, never went back after getting kicked out around year 11 for Not Being There.

2. Not applicable, still insane

3. Not applicable - insane, and trying to "work" by wrtiting, in which the only "Boss" is me.

4. Wanna bet?

Conclusion: CE. :D

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Bion:

1. Never did any homework, but still got passing grades. My resentment wasn't exactly secret, either. :D

2. Still at this stage, but only because I want to learn more about programming.

3. Never been at any job that I didn't like for more than a day. :evil:

4. I actually got a ticket for trespassing on school grounds during the school day. I had to go up to the roof just to escape the incessant yakking of the 2000 morons that I had the misfortune to share the school with, and one of the other students sent a couple of cops after me because they didn't want to admit that they were too chicken to climb a twenty-foot ladder! :jawdrop: So I have something of an issue with overbearing authority figures that has gotten me in trouble more than once. :lol:

Plus I'm :nuts: .

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

1-2) 9 years in elementary, 3 years in secondary, 2 years in polytechnic, 2 years in university, and I hardly remember anything of them. As a bonus, I often slept late and still do. Profs can kiss my ass if they complain. As to models; there have to be some or else it would be a mess.

3) There is a solution: travelling. And I mean no small-time Hawaii trips. Requires a bit of planning, but personally speaking; it's possible after a while. ;)

4) That's called common sense. Why kill someone if there is no need?

6. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

1) Still there. ANnoying these authority figures by out thinking them regularly, and embarrassing generally everyone whenever they try to argue with me. Hehe. I love school.

2) Planning to study Creative Writing, and foist my opinions and views onto the world, under the pretence of a 'novel'

3) Nah, probably won't happen.

4) COuldn't and wouldn't commit a crime. Not one worth a record, at least.

Edit: I think of myself as CG, but I'm more likely to be NG

7. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Its not about a criminal record my friend, its about what you've done :evil: a criminal record only shows that you've been caught. Its not like I'm evil or nothin, but its a good point for criminals who don't get caught. Though I have caused my fair bit o' misgief(sp?).

Anywho, I'm Chaotic Good, Govournments tend to be corrupt, I follow their rules if they fit with my own morals. If I follow them and I disagree with them, its more a matter of practicality. Otherwise, I just try not to get caught :D

8. Bion Gems: 21/31

@Arabwel: ahh, but haven't we learned from Foucault how hospitals are one of the pillars of the disciplinary society (the others being school, prison, and the factory)? Though I do agree that the writer's life does offer some distinct advantages...

@Others: I think we underestimate the extent of our conditioning in modern society. I mean, just imagine comparing yourself to some random person from the middle ages. Even as peasants, these people probably had more autonomy over how they spent their day than we do (granted, autonomy to dig in the mud, but hey), and if you had a trade, it was like running your own business. The closest you'd come to a corporation was a guild. What would they think of how much mental effort we devote to laws, books, computers, jobs, music groups, and brand name clothing? What would they think of our wristwatches, cell phones, train schedules, appointments, and hourly billing?

Face it: we spend all day, every day dealing with rules. Rules of the road, rules of behavior, technological protocols: in fact, being on this site, we enjoy learning new rules as a form of entertainment. How else would you describe learning how to play a video game?

But everyone says: hey, I bend the rules, I'm not affected by them. But you have to know the rules to bend them, and what exactly do you think lawyers do all the time anyway? They just become very good at using the rules to their (or rather, their client's) advantage, that's what.

Plus, the system is designed so you can blow off steam now and then. Thinking of yourself as an individual outside the rules just makes you a better consumer. :evil:

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Generally Neutral Good.

10. Arabwel

Media:
    I said they found me incompatible enoufgh to stick into a hospital to "cure" me - didn't say they sicceeded :D

*is quite happily insane and evil*

11. Felinoid

I hate to say this, but it sounds like you've given up, Bion. You also have one hell of an ego. "If they broke me, they can break anybody." :rolleyes: Sorry to burst your bubble, buddy, but some nuts are harder to crack. :happy:

@arabwel:
    You just gotta know how to handle the psychologists. :D

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would have to put myself in the Lawful neutral category.

I am generally law abiding, orderly, and I stick to my principles.

I am willing to help others but I generally don't go out of my way to do so or spend a large amount of my time/effort on charitable activities.

13. Bion Gems: 21/31

Sez who?

Check.

All Hail your Uncrackable Nuts!!

14. Felinoid

Thank you, that was the best laugh I've had in ages!! :lol:

You know what they say, "Balls of Steel". :D

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Bion has a point, most of us do what we're told, regardless of what we really feel or want to do. Most of us sit at our jobs, have hundreds of things we want to say to our boss (most of which would get me kicked off SP), but mostly what we end up saying is "Yes, Sir". Neutral is okay, but Chaotic implies a degree of freedom that we don't normally enjoy...

16. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think that we should realize the duality of our natures. There is almost always an outside self and an inside self to every person. The way we act is almost always "Lawful something." Because the fact that we are free ( i.e. not locked up for sociopathic illness, or breaking laws) attests to this.
    Bion speaks truth in this fact. I believe about half of the answers here refer to how someone "feels" and how they truly "act." In this way our beings are split between a fictional us and a real-life us. How many who claim chaotic or evil behavior truly commit random acts of evil? I also will contest that here in "reality" evil and good are so objective as to make everything we do in a way both. We all truly live as Lawful Neutral beings. The rare few will actually tend toward good, tend toward evil, or tend toward chaotic behavior.

But philosophy isn't as fun as fiction, so I'm Chaotic Neutral, because I truly think that my actions are utterly and totally meaningless, and I will do things that seem nice and sweet or cruel and wicked almost at a whim. (That was way more fun, I shoulda skipped my philosophical musings and just responded in fictitious manner. Peace, Loves)

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Arabwell, your about as evil as the grapefruit you crave :D

18. Arabwel

Media:
    Cesard, I just have a VERY high online CHA score so I decieve you all :D

19. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Sorry babe, my wisdom and ranks in sense motive say otherwise :grin:

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Doing good deeds for the hope of rewards or to deceive others doesn't make one good in alignment, so I doubt simply obeying the law can make one lawful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.