1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Fighter/Cleric: Multi- or Dual- Classed?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Orignially posted by Faraaz:
    I think the number of attacks is determined by the level of Fighter. 13 (according to AD&D rules anyway) maxes out the number of attacks at 2/round (before taking Specialization into account).

After reading this thread, I'm leaning towards the multiclassed Cleric/Fighter. My only issue here is: if I'm going multiclass, aren't I better off playing a Cleric/Ranger than a Cleric/Fighter? Sure, I'd be restricted to playing a half-elf, and wouldn't get those neat dwarven save bonuses, but having access to all druid spells as well as cleric ones is a huge advantage.

2. Leslie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Absolutely. Cleric/Ranger eats F/C mc and dc for breakfast. ;)

Ironskins anyone?

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Plus you still get to choose a favourite enemy and the ability to hide (when wearing light armour)... now, a good human cleric (Lathander) could become a ranger if one was ready to sacrifice all the high level spells (the only real drawback compared to a regular ranger would be the impossibility of using some weapons).

What is important when choosing between multi and dual classes -here Fighter/Cleric- is which class do you want your character to end up with.

A dualled class character's first class should be considered as a simple set of bonuses which corresponds to a given kit.

Hence the dualled class Fighter/Cleric (preferably Berserker/Cleric) is a Cleric who gets a higher number of attacks and proficiencies. If you consider Anomen for instance although he shouldn't have been able to become a Cleric, his weapons have been so badly chosen... that he doesn't get more than ++... nevertheless compared to a regular Cleric he is a much better fighter.

A multiclass character is an altogether different matter, such a character will not level up as a Cleric as fast as a dual class character would (lower levels in the fighter kit won't require that much XP) furthermore, the choice of HLA will make of the multiclass character more of a fighter.

A dual class Fighter/Cleric is a Cleric who won't get past the 39th level but will benefit from up to 12 levels of Fighter (Berserker).
    The question is whether the impossibility of choosing a Cleric kit is worth 12 levels in a Fighter kit.

@Faraaz: you are absolutely right about the distinction between ToB and SoA.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Faraaz actually said it a lot better than I did. The reason MC characters are more powerful than DC characters is because of the HLA's. If you don't have access to HLA's, then I completely agree that you're better off with a DC character.

@ Caradhras

Of course 12 fighter levels is worth sacrificing a clerical kit. The special abilities of the kits are either made up for being a fighter or can be provided by other party members.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.