1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Football Poll

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Harbourboy, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You have to be careful what you say when you say 'hockey'. To all the non-frozen parts of the world, 'hockey' means a game on astroturf and a ball where you have to sprint around on the field for the WHOLE game with no padding.

I assume YOU are talking about the game where you get to go off for a nice drink every few minutes and you wear a suit of armour the whole time.

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The "Hockey" you play up in Canada is just as violent as Rugby and Football! I've seen the movies, I've played the games, I know all about Ice "hockey".. well atleast enough to know that it's just as violent, if not more so.

3. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@RotKu

And everybody knows that video games and movies accurately depict everything. JK. Yeah, hockey is violent. The fights are the best part. It doesn't end until one of them hits the ice.

But I am going :yot: . Soccer is still the best choice among the poll list.

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Football (Soccer if you like - though I don't like the term myself).

For those of you who find it low scoring and low on excitement - get the Video of last nights FA cup replay between Spurs and Man City. What a game for the neutral. 3-0 at half time with City down to 10 men at end of the half. Came back for a last minute 4-3 victory. The stuff of Legends, right Boo?

5. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Soccer, no doubt. I play it myself too :)

Though there's charm in both rugby and American football ;)

6. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Wow! I never knew that there was more than 1 version of sissyball? :D jk. I watch football (american) but Hockey Rules all! Soccer is great to play (real & video games). Hockey and soccer are similar in that some games are boring; it all depends on the game (and a good crowd).

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Aussie rules is beating rugby league. Voted rugby union myself. Soccer is only good to watch if it's the Champions League.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Football? Chelsea FC !

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh no, Jonny Wilkinson is injured and out for the Six Nations. Now why couldn't that have happened before the World Cup instead?

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

@ Harbourboy

We don't need to bring back Buck because we've got Jerry "Smashing Bicep" Collins!! :)

11. teekc Gems: 23/31

Where is your rest of the world? South Amercians called it football, Southeast Asian call it football too. A ball is by definition a round thing. American football is not even round. To make it worse, it is not even a foot long.

As for the topic, football of course. Steven Gerrard is the king and Liverpool is his kingdom.

12. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

If the Damn Euro's want to call it "Football", fine. We'll call it the "Sport that rakes in the real dough and lets us see Michael's sisters right breast".

Never understood why the NFL called the sport football anyway, when the "foot" only touched the ball if you were a pathetic loser.

Oh, well. Must seek global acceptance, I guess.

:D ;) :p

13. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

American football here also. More drama...more excitement. Don't get me wrong, I used to play all kinds of sports including soccer and have the utmost respect for the athletes but as far as spectator sports go, American football can't be touched. The sort of drama as was exhibited in the last superbowl just isn't there for me in soccer or hockey or baseball or rugby. Soccer and rugby mostly look like swarms of people crashing into each other with a ball boucing around until the whistke blows. Hockey is swarms of toothless people crashing into each other on ice with an indistinguishably small object bouncing around somewhere.
    When Ricky Proehl caught that TD with just a minute to go to tie the game, you just KNEW the stage was set for the nerves of steel duo of Tom Brady and Adam Venitieri to do what they did.

There are so many memorable moments in NFL history...so many created with every game played! Montana wearing a Chiefs uniform and making one last drive to win a game in the final seconds against Elway's Broncos before setting off into the sunset.

Barry Sanders making runs so impossibly spectacular that VIEWERS we sent to emergency rooms due to broken jaws(from the lower jaw hitting the chest many times in rapid succession).

Randy Moss' catch and pitch play.

*Dons flame retardent body suit*

14. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

I love football (not the American one) and snooker. The good thing about football is that you just need a ball, that's it. Go play!

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Football is the greates sport in the history of everything. Ever.

There can be no argument. It is fact.

16. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Amen. :D

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Football forever, it is the most brilliant game ever devised. I saw my first American football game now at the super bowl and I have to say that I enjoyed it immensly, but there are only so many things which can happen. It is dramatic and all that but not very versatile. There tends to be quite few different things which can happen in any given situation. I also have serious problem with all the breaks, they dont really play that much do they?

Now football, it is the beautiful game. There are no set plays and anything can happen. The teams dont switch oppurtunities to score like in basketball, handball and american football. I can admit that a football game can be very dull but a good football game is awesome. I have to mention the fan culture as well, to be in an arena where 30000 people sing the same song is amazing, it feels down your spine I can tell you that. No other sport really has that kind of arena culture, it may bring with it some bad aspects like violence and such but when you hear them sing you dont think about that.

18. Harbourboy

Soccer is only game I know of where the fans attempt to kill each other on such a regular basis.

Tassadar - Jerry Collins rocks but I can't see him having a long term career - he seems too injury prone.

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, for sheer fact that it gets more tv-time here than pretty much any other form of football - League. Union is pretty good to watch, as is American Football (or as some call the sport - Gridiron, though isn't that the name for the field itself?) as well as Soccer - which I'm trying to watch and understand so I'll have something else to talk to my eldest son about on the rare occasion I get to talk to him, because he plays it. But League it is.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.