1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How do you play BG[+TotSC]?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Baronius, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Jester, nope. It just brings BG2 engine to BG.

I've tried to play with Tutu several times, but it isn't as funny as I thought. For some reason plain BG has better atmosphere, or what would I call it. Although I could play with some other mods. Are there any good ones? (Please don't mention DSotSC, I've already played it through, and didn't like at all)

2. keldor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think I prefer BG1 to 2. It's a close thing which really says something for BG1 since it had lots of irritating foibles like unstackable gems and above all, the way the game continued when you went into your backpack!
    Whenever I'm playing BG2, there's always a part of me that longs for BG1 and I can't put my finger on why this is. When I return to it, I feel incredibly nostalgic for that little film of Beregost and the guy sneezing, and the bird that wizzes past. For the paladin in the Jester(?) tavern down SW, and Drizzt scything through those gnolls. The cut movies were better by far (even if they did sometimes leave you holding you breath, praying the game didn't crash!).

One thing I think is true, is the sense of achievement you got when you heard that 'twinkle!' sound as you leveled up. :) I don't really feel that in BG2. In fact, maybe this is what I least like about BG2 - that the progression rate is so much faster i.e. 20,000 xps for a fed-ex quest etc. I'd sooner have had a progression rate comparable to that of BG1, and only been able to attain a far lower level of power, than what BG2 has.

I still fondly recall running round and round that clump of trees to the left of where the ogre with the gnome writer's belt is, endlessly firing arrows at it knowing all the while that if I mess up with a single mouse click, and get 'caught' on the edge of the trees, the ogre will likely splash me with a single hit! And afterwards, heading west to leave the map for the Friendly Arm Inn, and meeting that wolf (did anyone else have a pattern of meeting monsters?) that would nearly kill me each time it bit my a**e! :D

3. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I can't get TuTu to work, so I'm going to play it the normal, unmodded way about half a dozen times again now.

4. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

What about BGT? It is huge, and not easy to install, but it worths it. You might have better luck with it than with BGTutu.
    http://iegmc.mirror.intermedia.com.sg/bgt/

And (@Jester) BGT does allow playing both BG1 and BGII areas.

@keldor: I totally agree. In fact, your post can be actually the summary of my opinion.
    Jovial Juggler Inn ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.