1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How many languages do you speak?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I wonder why so many Europeen can speak even a litle bit of German.

2. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Near-perfect English is really the only one but I'm pretty darn good at, as Splunge put it, ig-pay atin-lay.
    Used to be really good with French (First in year 7 and 8 French class), and Italian (all through Primary School we were taught it once a week for about an hour or so)

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    English and Chinese (Mandarin, for those who know the difference)
    Currently studying Japanese and Spanish. It's insanely annoying trying to study two languages at once.

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Although Canada is supposed to be bilingual with french being the other language, I never learned it. I speak just english and spanish.

5. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ofelix, maybe it's bacuse we actually gets lessons in it in school? Usually in danish puplicschools, you had the choice between german and french, whereas the majority would choose the former. However, at my school, there were no choice. German it was. Kind of makes sence considering that Germany is the most populated nation in Europe and just next to Denmark.

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

English fluently.
    A smattering of French.
    Then Hindi, Marathi and Telugu which is my mother-tongue.

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

German is taught because Germans themselves are less than willing to learn other languages. :)

No really, although that was a joke, I've always wondered where Germans and French got that pride for their language. Even up to the point where it's annoying others for them refusing to speak any other language but their mothertongue.

I'll also change my previous statement now while I'm at it. It seems the trend here is to describe with fluent what would in reality be no more than high grades in school, and with "knowing some of the language" which would equal a few words and sentences. Then I should claim that I am perfection itself in Finnish, Swedish and English. And in addition to that, I know quite a bit of some German, Japanese, and Russian. And some French. Maybe I should add Estonian, Danish, Norwegian, Irish, American and Australian as well? :D How many languages would that make... 13?

No pun intended. Just that I was expecting this to reveal some actual linguistic skills with all the people here. Instead of how many languages you know something very little about. At least Sorcerer's isn't spoiled with too much modesty. ;)

8. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

@Gothmog4230: You recalled wrong.
    I speak English and Finnish fluently.
    I can be understood in German.
    I can understand Swedish and Estonian.

9. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I speak Danish, english and german.
    tried to learn french, but didn't like it.
    and i can undestand swedish and norwedish or what ever the language they speak in norway is called.

10. Iago Gems: 24/31

I'd say there's a correlation between size of the country/"spread of the language" and the number of polyglott people. The smaller the country the sooner and more often you bump into foreigners talking in riddles, the more polyglott people get.

On the other hand, in countries where it actually takes an effort to cross the borders, you can get by by not knowing foreign languages. Languages may even get the stamp of elitist-hobby with no usefull real-life meaning. Better focus on math instead.

Therefore I am not surprised by some French, Germans and of course British being quite puzzled by the fact that it may happen that the bump into people, who actually are not able to speak one of those languages.

I do not think it has to do anything with "pride" in their specific language. Just in the conviction by some that they need no other languages.

11. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

Fluently: English
    Studied Spanish for two years at school and can get by in it.

12. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Fluent English, and with ever-increasing skill in French and German. Believe it or not, this is actually considered nerdy and well above the average in the good old Racist UK!

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dutch, with a slightly Rotterdamned/Zwijndrechts accent.

Since I had to study English (at 10th), I can make myself understood in this language. But I have to say it could be better...

From 12th to 15th I had to learn some French and I try hard to forget it all.
    From 12th to 18th I learned some German. If nessessary, I could make myself understood, but I have to think hard and conversations are a bit slow when talking about difficult matters.

But when I'm in a foreign country, I always try to speak as much 'foreign' as possible and I'm open to learn some basics. That usually makes me the translator of my group of friends when we're on holiday.

Edit:
    I almost forgot Celestial, Druidic, Aquan and er.. Common!

14. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Isn't it soon time for another IQ thread, to boost the bragging :shake:

Anyway, any scandinavian with a little ear for language can easily learn the three languages from Norway, Sweeden and Denmark(not myself I might add). Add the English and French/German, which is forced in schools and you get 5 languages fluently! Add the "I can be understood" argument to French/german/dutch/spanish/italian (because you went on vactation or somethin' ) and voila Vote 9 languages. And of course the ones that we are "about" to learn and "already" know some phrases in.. etc etc.. yada yada and we get well over 10 languages. Imagine that! :1eye:

15. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Fluent: English and Estonian.
    I can make myself understandable in German, but I didn't add that in the poll.
    I have been learning Russian for about six years... but that doesn't mean anything. I can introduce myself but that's just about it.
    Also I can read Latin.
    OK enough boasting for one day.

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Have to ask: Anyone else feel like answering: I am fluent in six million forms of communication....

:p

Every time I see this topic I think of RotJ...

Hmm, almost typed RotK.

Anyway, I liked Eve-9d9 :p

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Dutch, German, and English. Plus i understand (and speak a little) French and Spanish.

18. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    English.

And Yorkshire ;)

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] How's the pudding there?

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

English goes well, finnish is my native language, swedish does, and I have a knack with germany. So, I would say that I could speak well with two languages, and come along with another two.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.