1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Most revolutionary game

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sapiryl, Sep 19, 2002.

1. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

And what about Elite or Golden Axe? I think no one remembered it/them?

I agree that X-comm should be on the list, and so should be Syndicate since one is "real time" and another is "turn based" but both are squad games. Since Syndicate has strategy element similar to Cannon Fodder, i would pick X-comm. Don't get me wrong, i think both were (still are?) exceptional games.

[ September 22, 2002, 11:18: Message edited by: total ]

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Golden Axe was great. I loved cruising around in the air chopping that hugely oversized weapon to my left and right, in one jump for greatness :D
    That game has my vote, if Diablo gets one :)
    thx for the reminder Total.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yes.

Elite was, without a doubt, revolutionary. Anyone ever play "Line Wars"?

I'm not sure it it came first, then Elite; or vice versa.

I think Line Wars came first, but the game engine was completely different. Then after Elite came out, they reworked the engine.

Defender of the Crown is another one that was probably revolutionary. It had "movie clips" in the middle of the game, and strategy mixed with action sequences. There weren't too many other games that had movie clips, although there might have been a couple that had strategy and action mixed.

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Scorched Earth all the way! :D

5. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

I forgot to add one,
    Solitaire :D ;) :p

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

If you mean the old "Scorched Earth", then yeah; I'd go with you on that call.

How about "Echelon", the old-version? There was all kinds of new stuff crammed in there. Remote piloting, aerial/3D problem solving, decoding...

I'd say Infiltrator, but I can't think of any other games that mimicked it. Prince of Persia was partially a forerunner of Tomb Raider, so it should probably be in there...

7. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Heh, oops.

Looks like I forgot a few good ones on that poll. Oh well. I'll try to do better next time.

Well, I still think that Half-Life is definately the most revolutionary game. But that's just me.

8. Jekknol Bok Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Wasteland - first to my knowledge post-apocalyptic RGP.

Descent - first truly 3D FPS (Wolfenstein 3D was only 2D and DOOM was 3D but limited movement to 2D)

Homeworld - First true 3D RTS, though the movement interface was a bit tricky to master.

Dungeon Keeper - one of the late lamented Bullfrog's true originals.

9. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"Here's another game I'm suprised no one mentioned: Diablo. I didn't think it was all that spectacular, myself, but it's undeniably revolutionary in the world of RPGs, maybe even moreso than Baldur's Gate. It didn't introduce the isomatic perspective, it didn't introduce insane click-fests, and it didn't introduce hack-and-slash...it just molded them into one game. Nowadays, every RPG owes at least a slight nod of thanks to Diablo for one feature or another, so it's safe to say that it was one of the most influential games of all time. "

in no way diablo was revolutionary, influencial, yes, but it didn't really add any major aspects, and "every RPG owes at least a slight nod of thanks to Diablo for one feature or another"? just because they have one feature that was in diablo doesn't mean they've taken it from diablo, as much older games have many elements that were included in diablo.

And another: Meridian 59,the first online only RPG for my knowledge.

[ September 23, 2002, 19:11: Message edited by: Ray192 ]

10. Uluk the Armripper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well... BG sure was revolutionary...

If the list would have had Wolfenstein 3D instead of Doom 1 I probably would have chosen otherwise.

11. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hm, i don´t see a bit of revolutionarity or innovation in baldur´s gate. adventure and rpg´s were the first ones to be adapted on computers (cave somewhere in the 70ies, zork etc.) and some of the most commercially succesful rpg series´ started 15 to 20 yrs. ago (ultima, wizardry, bard´s tale).

so what interplay did, was "only" to revive a genre which was considered dead by software companies since ´94/´95.

it was the "dawning of an new old era", but no true revolution. though one must esteem interplays guts to release such a game after the commercial fiasco of lands of lore 2 in ´97.

12. Kovsky Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

quake1 was quite revolucionary.
    He was the 1st game with an "playable" online mode.
    Quakeworld opened the way to all online games we play nowadays.

i love quake1 :D

13. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"hm, i don´t see a bit of revolutionarity or innovation in baldur´s gate. adventure and rpg´s were the first ones to be adapted on computers (cave somewhere in the 70ies, zork etc.) and some of the most commercially succesful rpg series´ started 15 to 20 yrs. ago (ultima, wizardry, bard´s tale)."

well, it's the first one I've seen that is real tiem and pauseable.

14. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

couldn´t you do that in populous 1 already? ;) not that it was a rpg, but it was 8 yrs before bg.

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Umm...What about "Pong" or "Space Invaders?"

They were THE most revolutionary games, becuase they gave birth to all the fun stuff we have today!!!!!

16. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

[​IMG] And Tetris, ofcourse. :p :D

17. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

From that list, BG1.

18. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Have to say, i still have a play about on the MAME emulator. Some of those old arcade games are so playable and just plain fun, which kinda brings Space Invaders into play again.

Especially the arcade version of Ghosts n Goblins. Man, i can barely even do the second stage, but, its so playable you just never give up.
    Oh i nearly forgot the revolution part. Well, need i really say any more. If anyone can say that those old arcade games didn't pave the way for most, if not all of the gameplay experiences we have today, i'd love to hear it so i can be put back down where i came from. :D

[ September 30, 2002, 18:57: Message edited by: The Intentioner of the Dammed ]

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hmmm...well only a couple of others I could even think of to add to this list.

Myst: well, maybe it wasn't the first, but I think it might have been the first big sucess for it's type: first person puzzle games. I never cared much for em, but eh *shrugs*. Maybe the Seventh Guest should be on the list though, since it came before.

Mortal Combat: introduced the hardcore blood and gore aspect into the fighting genre and was as much responsible as Street Fighter for popularizing it. It also added in the finishing moves. BTW, if anyone can remember the fighting game that started the wretched combo move revolution in arcade fighters, that would be considered revolutionary. I remember playing it, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was.

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The first fightinggame with combos I played was Killer Instinct, to SNES and in the arcade. I loved that game, best fighting game I had played. But I dont know if it was the first one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.