1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Premarital Sex

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 1, 2006.

1. deepfae Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Taking the staistics you gave as evidence, Aldeth, I suppose this is true. And I'll believe it, after all its quite plausible considering people tend to live to older ages these days. However, I believe that many people simply lack the maturity that is required to maintain a lasting relationship, and that this is not a new thing. Maturity often comes with age, but not neccesarily. And I don't believe people were any more mature in the past. The difference, I believe, is that now the taboo on divorce has been lifted. This, in addition to the (at least American) modern mindset of never compromising what you want, has caused so many marriages to fail: people have a way out, and many are less willing to try to work out priblems than try somewhere else. What I'm trying to say is that in the past people were pretty muched forced or pressured into staying together. There were obviously exceptions, but for the most part once you married, you stayed married. This was good in that it allowed, from time to time, issues to be resolved inside a marriage whereas nowdays such issues would lead to the marriage's downfall. However, this was, overall, a bad thing, because just being prevented from divorcing/leaving your partner does nto guarantee you will learn to love him/her. Now obviously there are many happily married people in the world. But my point is that marriages nowdays fail not because they suffer from some modern plague, but because nowdays we are made aware of their failure because they publicaly end.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That is definitely the case around here where all our parents married at 20 whereas all of our generation seem to be marrying at 28.

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Excellent, I'm young, single, and proactive, and let me tell you, it's a lot more fun than being married, believe ;)

Who said anything about God, or going without?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah well, each to their own. So long as everyone is happy with the way they are living their lives.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I hate to nitpick, but I just can't believe you. Not about having fun, of course; I'm sure you're having plenty of it. :D But believing that you can tell me that it's better than being married if you never have been would be just plain silly. ;)

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

7. Harbourboy

Oh dear. There sure are some bitter people around, if those articles are anything to go by. We can find people willing to say negative things about anything, if we try. There are people around who even claim that BREATHING is bad for you.

Anyway, as I said, each to their own. I'll keep my married life, and you can have your single life and we'll both be as happy was we think we are.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

See, I would actually get married, but I'd want atleast 10 wives at any one time.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Been there, done that. Let me assure you that both are fun; depends upon what point you are at in your life. :grin:

Or a woman who knows how to be ten women. A good wife knows how to be many different women at once; not that men are really any different in this regard.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You think men know how to be ten different women? Sounds like a serious case of schizophrenia. :lol: (I know what you meant Chandos, but I couldn't resist.)

Look into fringe Mormanism. (Although Gnarf will tell you that official Morman doctrine forbids polygamy, there are several thousand people living in Utah that have kept this practice.) Then again, I think 10 may be considered a high number even for fringe Mormons. I would never want more than one wife - keeping one woman happy is enough work the way it is.

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Chandos, maybe that's my problem. I never know how many men I'm being. Aparently the number can get pretty high, my gf frequently looks at me like I'm a loon, and she's a psych major. :aww: :smash:

I think there are a lot more happy marriages out there than most people think. The problem is that tales are rarely interesting if they center on marriages that are happy and stable. People like to hear yarns about conflict and suffering.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

That's right AFI. My personal take is that I am havign enough trouble finding a first wife withlout having to find multiple wives. That and if plural marriage was still in play, there would be a more single men than single women as opposed to the other way around...

And that may be why religious ethics are seen as boring--because within the community, the objective is to reduce such conflict...

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Smart move. That's what I always found so strange about multiple wives. Finding and keeping a wife happy is a time-intensive procedure. I find it almost unbelievable that you can have one wife, and still find time to find other wives. There's still only 24 hours in a day, and between work and coming home to spend time with your first wife, where do you have time to look for a second? Of course some people had more than two, but I would think that the complicating factors would grow exponentially the more wives you added. Plus, I've never known two adult women who could live together in the same house without a lot of tension. It's just not a good idea any way you look at it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.