1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Too Much Time On SP?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Kelvon Shadowmane, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yes, I shall admit it - I am often arrogant and rude because I've been here a long time (in the channel, at least). Not to the n00b's faces, of course, but I have filled up many a query window with bitchings about them :)

Why, you ask? Because these people act differently from older members, which various older members find annoying (while recognising that they once did the same). We've all been through these lovely stages of n00bish innocence, and while it's fun to be doing, it is supremely annoying once you've done it all and are tired of it. Thus, you get bitter, twisted chatroom people who only jump out once in a while to make sharp comments to newbies then go whinge in query to each other :)

But as to the forum - well, n00bish-tendancies aren't nearly as irritating here as in the channel, so superior-old-person-tendancies aren't nearly as irritating here as in the channel either :)

3. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Judging others is an example of fell arrogance. :p

4. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    We have our reasons. :D

5. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Some of them might even be vaild.

(hmm could do with a tongue-in-cheek icon)

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    ~Puts the rose coloured glasses on DHB while she still has her eyes on him~ :p :D

A propos Aikanaro's post, ever heard the story of Newbslayer?

7. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That seems like a quite convincing example of arrogance, but be careful as missinterpretation is common on message boards and chat rooms. Something like 80% of communication is in the words, the rest is the way you say it, the situation, body language, etc. Its a matter of perception, some people speak certain ways that others aren't used to and misinterpret their words. In this example it is pretty certain that arrogance is there, but I'm just saying because its happened too many times to me in chat rooms that my words were completely twisted around into a really bad way.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    People who spend a lot of time together develop a camaraderie that is not always easily understood by newcomers or casual visitors. This is normal but may easily be misunderstood. The Internet exaggerates this because of the lack of body language which is why we use graemlins.

I guess if I were going to give advice to a newcomer it would be:
    1) Explore and read. :book:
    2) When you post keep it simple. (The KISS principle)
    3) Remember that you are the new kid on the block and that is always hard.

I have found this board to be a warm, friendly and helpful place. Things may get a little warm in AoDA and AoLS but that is their nature.

9. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I agree with most of you. I deffinetly don't agree with Harbourboy! (now that's the best example of arrogance and lack of respect)

Surprised that Oaz didn't show up...

The bottom line is (and I think most of you agree) that it's all about respect and if some lack respect, treat them with tolerance.

Respect and Tolerance can make this world a better one!

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I can't say that I was very agreeable with the whole premise of this thread to begin with. Nonetheless, it was tolerated because nobody was named specifically (though I knew who were referring to vis-a-vis the Roleplaying Corner).

Now that a certain line has been crossed, I think its time to put this out to pasture. The rules are clear, if you've got a problem with an individual poster, it has to be confined to PM. After all, this rule involves showing respect , at least in public, to all other posters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.