1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What is your alignment (in real life!)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kelvon Shadowmane, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hmmm, probably either Spasmodic Lewd or Awful Gleeful...

(Edit: ahh, the thin line between Lewd and Gleeful...."

2. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@Bion

What are you trying to tell us, dude?

3. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

While it's hard being True Neutral, I think my personality fits that best. Prolly not perfect, but hey. I thought I was more chaotic neutral, but I gues I'm not a madman. :)

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

At the risk of going a bit off-topic here, I'll present this dilemma here instead of making a new thread for it.

I often think what would happen if the world got into a war. If everything plunged into anarchy, as nuclear weapons were fired all over the globe and everyone realised their lives would no longer depend on the society, law and order. But that everyone would have to watch out for themselves.

Now, when the war does finally hit you, and you decide to go to the gunshop and pick up weapons, get a truck and drive to a certain factory with independent power supplies, water and food storages (one that is not needed by the army of course), to make your base in and defend it against intruders, who do you take with you? Honestly. This would be a time, where you could only keep those by your side who truly saw their own advantage by YOUR side to their last breath. Who would risk their lives for you, and you for them. Anyone else, would turn on you sooner or later.

Of all the friends and good friends I know, there are quite a few who I would not trust in a situation like this. Who, when given a gun and put into a world of complete anarchy, could not be trusted to cover my back. Who might in fact kill me or otherwise betray me because they saw their own good in it. I'm sure we all know these people. Reliable people even, but with something about them that makes you doubt you could really trust them when their own lives and well-being was put to a test as well, possibly at your expense.

The world we live in is, in the end, a poor place for a traditionally evil person. Almost any visibly evil person is a stupid one, because their free lives are usually brought to a quick end. What I believe, is that many who are "evil" don't even necessarily know it themselves. Only by putting people into a world, place and a situation where their deeds truly have no consequences, will you see what they are like. A place of war or anarchy. That's where most of the evil of man is visible anyway. Where a man is responsible only to himself and their religion, should they have such a thing.

[ September 20, 2004, 10:16: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

5. Bion Gems: 21/31

War; or perhaps business consulting.

Face it: everyone you know that goes into business consulting -- Accenture, McKinsey, Boston Consulting, etc. -- ends up Neutral Evil...

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    We cannot judge alingments based on D&D worlds; we have to use scales appropriate for modern world.

Thus, knowing the amount of white-collar crime, organized crime, heck, even tax fraud... i think it is reasonable to say that evil alingments do exist.

Or words to that effect, anyway.

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Lawful neutral, I don't break the law but I can be pretty selfish some of the times.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Stuck somewhere between True Neutral and Chaotic Good. Closer to Neutral in general, but a bit too unpredictable and spontaneous, and with a definite dislike for "law for the sake of law", to really be Neutral. And not selfish enough...

9. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31

I lack the consistency of any of these alignments. I sometimes give money to beggars, sometimes I ignore them and sometimes I tell them to **** off! I don't kill people but I don't really jump in front of a car just to save a soul either. I do sometimes steel, I ussualy don't feel like giving back change and If I would get the chance to make some profit i would not refuse. If we were to give stupid examples of evil: "Would we try to sell something with more than we paid for it?". I help people, I enjoy helping people, but would not donate my house and al my valuables for charity! I do get drunk, act without much thinking, say things without thinking first, yell out loud in the middle of the city at noon, curse out loud in the middle of the street, @chev > I would give the flask of water to the merchant and suffer dehydration, I would punch someone in the face if he reached the limit of my almost infinite tolerance, I would definetly not be okay with someone killing me without me trying to stop him (NOBODY ON EARTH IS JESUS!), I obey some laws for my own wellfare, I don't agree with all exteriorly imposed rules and laws but do have a bit of my own code of morality. THUS I have my share of law, chaos, good and evil deeds, resulting in the somewhat self-imposed TRUE NEUTRAL! what makes me true neutral is the lack of consistency in either of the alignments (as chev said earlier)

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Neutral Good I'd like to think. :p

11. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31

i think you are all true neutral...

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Kelvon: Sounds Neutral, yeah. CG isn't out of question (some hints there), but there isn't enough information to tell. I would say Good-leaning or at least non-evil True Neutral, but let's just wait till I've finished porting that test into PHP. It's not like I'm going to ask you 100 questions on the boards :shake: :lol:

13. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Chaotic good, there has never bin much lawful in me, but I try, most of the time, to help people and so on. But if I find a rule stupid and/or annoying, I seldom follow it.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Again, it seems I'm a bit nosy throwing my two cents every other post, but isn't really Lawfulness about following rules that are lawful in nature? It's not so popular nowadays as it used to be, but in legal doctrine there is a school that teaches that a legal rule inconsistent with natural law is ipso facto void and not binding. That's it about stupid rules (generally, rules inconsistent with natural laws are those which defy reason).

As for annoying ones... well, does it make you non-Lawful if you jaywalk when there are no cars comming or when you drink alcohol in the safety of your house if you're not of drinking age for the particular country? Come on...

One resource I surveyed, claimed that as a matter of crude simplification, Lawfulness implies the pursuing the interest of the group while being Chaotic stands for pursuit of individual interest. Then again, while CG characters won't really allow themselves to be outvoted by their peers, they will still make sacrifices for common good. On the other hand, being Lawful sometimes requires you to take things in your very own hands and make a couple of arbitrary decisions.

Well, when comparing DND to real life, I tend to view as Chaotic-aligned people who have double standards, think along the lines of "how does it make me feel?" rather than "how does it make the other people feel?", consider promises to be of a relative rather than absolute nature, are not consistent in their behaviour and principles, don't know what they want from life and so on.

Lawful would be people who exercise the "don't do to your neighbour what you don't want to be done unto" approach, have respect for customs and traditions, won't mess with established order for the fun of it, keep their promises and fulfil their commitment, consider it proper to return debts and favours, have a more less consistent system of principles and are reasonably logical.

Note: it's possible for one person to combine traits from both pools, so it's never simple.

15. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

by your definitions, I actually still thinks, I fit in as Chaotic good. I do, sadly, a lot of times have double standards, I tend to judge people harshly for some mistake, while if I commit the same mistake, it's not that bad. but on other things, I am of cause, very lawful, I "never" breaks a promise and I always pays my debts. but alignments is of cause simplifications and one can never say to only belong to one alignment, it depends on the situation. but I think I'm very chaotic in my behavior and I'm definitely not evil (or so I hope) and I'm not neutral either, therefor I think CG is what fits me most of the time, but there will of cause always be exemptions.

16. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'd have to say chaotic good. Though some wierd and sick stuff runs through my mind, and I can think up some really evil schemes and tortures; I could never act on those things. My concience is too strong to let me. Nor would I want to.

Thankfully there aren't too many evil people on SP. Think about how things could be if everyone was evil...

Maybe Jaguar would staple more than just beards to computers...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.