1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What subquest do you find the most challenging?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Stu, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Actually, there are items throughout the games that make certain quests a total piece of cake.
    *Spoiler*
    • Unseeing Eye - Shield of Balduran = Reflects Beholder Rays
    • Beholder lair in the Underdark - See above
    • Illithids - Sword of the Equilizer/brine poton/others = Immune to mind attacks
    • Dragons - Dragon shield/Dragon slayer/Halberd +3: Dragon's Bane/Dragon Helm/ = better resistances/more damage
    • Thieves - Enkidu's Full Plate/Gargoyle's Boots/Preserving Boots = Immune to backstab
    • Powerful Mages/liches/others - Wand of Spell Striking = removes spell protections/lower resistances
    There are probably more, but that's all I can think of right now. :rolling:

2. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well. Have to say Unseeing Eye the most and Planar Prison.

3. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I agree with the rest, but these things will only make stuff easier. It's not like when you have the dragon stuff, you can just walk up to the dragon and kill it. It's still pretty hard. I remember when I first played the game and faced Firkraag (the dungeon has all kinds of dragon-unfriendly equipment), I think I spent an entire day reloading and getting my ass kicked until I finally managed to beat him.

And the wand of spell striking isn't all that. Most/some liches are immune to level five or lower spells, so breach is out. Pierce magic only dispels one spell protection, so that isn't too much use either. It's not like the wand of spell striking actually casts Spell Strike...

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I HATE the twisted rune -- that is a brutal fight for me regardless of what equipment I have. The Unseeing eye is also a royal pain in the bum.

5. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Yeah, Twisted Rune sucks (well, it is actually really cool, but hard :) )! I don't think it goes along the line of big subquests like the hills, trademeet and de'arnise keep.

I seem to kind of suck at fights like these. I always have trouble against parties (well, not always), especially if they're as powerful as the Twisted Rune..

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, if you want to just walk up to a dragon a kill it, you can always use the "killsword". :rolleyes: :rolling:

7. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I was just saying that the fight will still be hard. Well, kinda.

The Dragon equipment doesn't help that much. If you're a newbie, the fight will still be very hard and if you're very experienced and can beat the dragon easily, you could just as easily do it with as without the equipment...

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Umar Hills, I ran into two liches in the temple of the sun.... ouch.

9. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

How did you manage to do that?

I don't recall any liches...

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you're of high enough level, Liches appear in random places where undead usually hang out (such as the Shadow dungeon). I once played a cheater-cheater-pumpkin-eater game with a dual-classed fighter/druid protagonist that I CLUA'd all the way up to like level 25/28, just playing around, and I ran into 3 liches in the Umar Hills. I guess they built that into the game to make the game more challenging for uber characters. Good call, I say. Cheaters never prosper!! ;)

11. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I only included the quests outside of the city because I have found that a lot of people have had very different oppinions concerning them.
    If I included Kangaxx, the Twisted Rune and the Underdark lairs they would get all of the votes and the ones which I really would like to know would miss out.

12. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Random Thoughts related to this board.

I haven't beaten Firkraag yet, so that is really hard.

I heard the Kangaxx quest is even more difficult than the Firkraag quest!

The hardest part for me in the Unseeing Eye Quest was the 4 Gauths hanging together in the room close to where the 2nd half of the rod is! After dying a couple times, I figured the best way to beat them is to wait till the next day so my party has their Fireball and Holy Smite spells all reloaded!

I actually killed the Unseeing Eye in 3 shots (Minsc with arrows with his Tugian Bow, my PC with the wand of the 2 rods together, and Anomen getting the gamewinner with his +3 Sling and Fire Bullets he got in the Temple Ruins) but had to wait till the next day to kill them 4 gauths.

[ September 22, 2003, 04:52: Message edited by: Neeraj in Athkatla ]

13. The Grim Rippor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Personally, I found Umar to be the easiest. It's got rather easy foes, The dragon can be easily avoided, and it's not long to travel to and from. Only minor sub-subquests (Talk to ogres, talk to mayor, talk to ogres again, things like that). The downside to this is that the loot is rather minor, but I like to go after Umar for the Roleplay quality alone; It's one of my favorite 'Natural' places in BG2.

14. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I was right.

I killed Firkraag yesterday, but I'm having the worst time right now trying to kill Kangaxx! :mad:

He kills me each time! the 2nd last time, he got me, but I kept looking at the screen and I saw one of my guys get the death blow on him! But I wasn't alive to rejoice with my guys!

Each time I get his 2nd form to Badly Injured or Near Death, but he does something or other to destroy me!

I will defeat him! I will! :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

any of those quests can be push-overs.

umar hills is just plain easy.....nothing special needed in my oppinion.....

firkraag can be taken down by casting lower resistance and then finger of death. but it get hard because of everything else (golems, vamps and so on). But a full balanced party (fighter, fighter, fighter, thief, cleric, mage for example) with flail of ages (or melfs minute meteors) bring down the golems, traps take care of vamps and samia, the rest is piece of cake.

de arnise keep is pushover, only need fire or acid to kill the trolls. and the umber hulk can be taken down with the death spell or a fighter with high magick resistance.

trademeet is pushover too, just get some fire or acid damage stuff. (arrows works nicely).

ok, this said, i vote windspear hills for the most difficult mainly because it have alot of hard creatures in it.

the most easy one must be trademeet., those druid is to stupid to see their own shadows and trolls are pushovers. nothing hard with it. though, if you solo........bleh, that counts for every quest :p

16. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Firkraag's Dungeon seems to have the largest variety of creatures. Hobgoblins, Vampiric Mists, Kobolds, Raksasha, Orcs, Golems, Vampires, Shadows, Wraiths, Genies, Wolfweres, Orogs, and a generic Beholder aside from Samia's troop and Firkraag. There's even an Otyguh and a Chef Trollarde'! You need a little bit of diversity to tackle all of it. Umar is strictly undead, unless you count the Shadow Dragon that level drains you. Scrolls can solo you through it without resting if you skip him( Although the Bone Golems aren't truly "undead"). The quickest one for me is Trademeet. No Dragons, just Trolls,Spiders and Treehuggers. The toughest part of the Druid Grove would have to be the Raksasha band. And that battle just doesn't compare to Fikraag or Thaxll'ssillyia....say that three times fast!

17. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think the Planar Prison is quite difficult. Mainly because I have to do it at the very beginning to get my stronghold, while my party is at low levels. The Greater Wolfwere (or is it a Werewolf?), Golems and the Cambion are quite a challenge for my fighters and spellcasters.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.