1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which of these two names sounds better?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by chevalier, Jan 18, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I think it'll be Neld'barad-something-for-plural.

Oops, 7:28 am here. Time to go to bed. I had been seeking a host all the time that would give 100 megs, proper scripting and no ads. I'll end up with Invision Free anyway, I think. At least they host all posts, members etc. Only that 3 meg is too small for avvies.

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Second one sounds better IMO. Just a lot cooler a name than the first too.

3. chevalier

Media:
    I think so too. It has to be easily remembered however... Eh, maybe an alias would do. Some nbr.net is free still.

4. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Fırst one looks simple and easy to understand but 2nd is cool and charisma ;)

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Personally I went for the 1st option.

It's understandable to simple folk. The other one looked like my cat walked on the keyboard to me :D

6. chevalier

Media:
    Well, what's important as well is that the name must be 'catchy' and easily remembered... My attention would be caught by the second one, but well... everyone knows what it's all about when seeing some 'Three Towers Haven'... Well, it's anyway for fantasy-oriented people even if the only elven name they have heard is Suldanessellar... How is the vote?

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

12-17 in favour of numver 2.
    BTW, that dictionary that you are no doubt using is more than likely a hunk of ****, try here for a more reliable source :)

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Aikanaro, I've been looking for such a site for ages! Thanx! :D

Khazâd ai-mênu, Uzbad Aikanaro!

*Sets his axe down and bows so deep his beard touches the ground.*

[ January 20, 2003, 09:29: Message edited by: Faragon ]

9. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks a lot. It appears that there's no single all-Elven tongue :D Sindarin for me. Noble of course. Heh.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Quenya is actually more developed. Hmm, I spend 6 months learning Japanese and I know about five words and I've been learning elvish for about three days and know around 30 or 40, plus a hell of a lot of other rules. It is proven, Japanese is a stupid language :)

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The second one, of course!

The first one is for simple folk, not really gifted with their low intelligence, who think their cat walked on the keyboard. Tsk! ;)
    I bet they they would even say it wouldn't be hard for us to roleplay their lives while not exactly knowing what they actually say...
    Right Faragon? :grin:

Oh, why should I ask YOU!? :evil:

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

MoN: You're just out to get me now, aren't you? :thumb: Did I touch a sensitive spot? :lol:

Aikanaro: If you've spent 6 months on learning Japanese and have only learned 5 words, than those must've been really hard words! ;)

I guess I'll have to throw that site into my roleplaying game. As a Half-Elf raised by the elvish way of life, I think I should at least be able to grasp a little bit of elvish. It'll likely confuse the hell out of my DM though, if I suddently began talking fluently in Quenya :happy:

Chevalier: Current score is 12 votes for option 1, 24 for option number 2. Though you could always vote for one, and then substract that 1 from the ending scores ;)

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Just do what they do in LOTR nad hold up subtitles. Then, also as in LOTR, you may end up with men shooting arrows with someone screaming out "hold!" in elvish and the man holds :rolleyes:

14. chevalier

Media:
    Yes, the difference is so significant that one vote doesn't really matter now. I will. Update though: from now on read the second option as 'elven'

Nelvinais or Nelveraid in Sindarin
    Nelmindor in Qenya

That 'neld'baradr' thing is very non-standard and possibly incorrect (although I did knowingly adjust certain sounds, like it happens with names of places in real life languages)

So, Three Towers Haven seems more staightforward ad&d and easier to remember. But as I see people like the Elven version more despite the possible URL typing problems. I'd go for Nelveraid, but feel free to give your opinion. Heheh, I need surfers to come, so I can't base on my subjective liking solely :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.