1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling 115

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Ok then, maybe this'll interest you then. I particularly like native Amerindian place-name they're so... colorful.

Quebec - Algonquian, kwebek "where the great river becomes narrow"
    Canada - Iroquoian, Kanata, "place of gathering" or "village"
    Ontario - Huron-Wendat, io-ontara "beautiful lake"
    Athabasca (river) - Cree, aðapaskāw, "where there are plants one after another"
    Saskatchewan - Cree, kisiskatchewan, "swift-flowing river"
    Matapedia -Mi'kmaq, ?, "gathering of waters"

I could go on and on :p. It astound me that most people I know here doesn't know that all those names actually means something.

8people likes this.
  2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Got anything on Alberta Flix?

ION I just had a gerbil run across my foot. Yep - free run hour at the Dice residence. I figure the little critters don't live very long so they might as well have some fun once in a while.

I'll just have to make sure they didn't leave any dry little presents around after.

Ofelix likes this.
  3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    When I was a kid I had a hamster who lived 2 years longer than their supposed life expectancy. Though in all honesty, those last 2 years were on borrowed time, because he managed to die and come to life again in between. I kid you not, he was literally dead on his back, feet in the air for hours, stone cold. He was not very ceremoniously buried in the trash can outside. Then two days later I open the can again to empty a new load of trash... and just before I dump it all in, I hear a noise coming from inside the can, like little feet scurrying about. I dig inside a bit and sure enough, the hamster comes climbing up on top all happy to see me. I just about fainted there and then.

I don't know what the hack happened there, but he lived happily for another 2 years after that. In the end he was so old he grew a pretty long beard, which was quite suitable given his advanced age. And boy was I happy I didn't bury him in the ground...

Obligatory cute hamster pic:

[​IMG]

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] A lot of people never seem to think about what the name of the place means, it's something I've always thought was interesting though. It gives a miniature history of a place.

My dragons run around the livingroom when they feel so inclined. They're quite good that they'll only leave presents on the sand of their vivarium though.

They should live a bit longer than most rodents at least - Usualy around 15-20 years. Fingers crossed they make that long :)

I once buried a butterfly that I thought had died when I was little... Boy was I surprised digging that up over a day later to show my mother when it flew off.

5. Ofelix

Media:
    I think it was named after one of Queen Victoria's daughters evidently named Alberta. I omitted it because it didn't fit the native Amerindian theme.

While I'm at it from east to west

Newfoundland and Labrador: the first one's pretty self explanatory, Labrador comes from the Portuguese explorer who first(ish) came to the island's shore although he was called "Lavrador". Wonder why the v became a b.

Nova Scotia: Latin for "New Scotland"

New Brunswick: Named after George III's ancestral home, the Duchy of Brunswick-Lünebur (Herzogtum Braunschweig-Lüneburg in German)

Quebec: see above,

Ontario: see above

Manitoba: possibly Cree, manatuapa -- "Great Spirit / Manitou"

Saskatchewan: see above,

Alberta: See above

British Columbia: Chosen by Queen Victoria when the colony became under British rule, it refers the the Columbia river and district. British Columbia was used to distinguish it from the "American" Columbia to the south, i.e., modern Oregon and Washington states.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cities names from native Americans are always cool sounding (and quite funny when mispronounced) ... I found a few interesting ones:

Three Way, Arizona (and Arkansas which I think is close to Sexton)
    Poopout Hill, California
    Climax, Colorado -- within shooting distance of Loveland (Climax is in several states ...whew)
    Slickpoo, Idaho -- I guess they raise sheep there
    Shafter and Wacker in Illinois
    French Lick, Indiana
    Big Lick, Big Bone Lick and Knob Lick in Kentucky ... in case you were wondering there is no Climax in Kentucky but there is a Shafter
    Glasscock and Dry Prong in Louisanna -- they both just sound painful to me
    Assinippi in Massachusetts
    Coxsackie, New York
    Big Butt, North Carolina ... if there is justice it's near Gay and Erect
    Pee Pee and Puss4 Creek, Ohio
    For good camping there Idiot Creek, Poop Creek, Sh1kepoke Creek and Dork Canal in Oregon
    Intercourse and Blue Ball, Pennsylvania which are hopefully not too close to each other
    Nipple and Virgin Utah

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Had my 2nd scan today. Everything's fine and the baby's growing well. They couldn't get one measurement so I have to go back in 2 weeks.

The important bit though is..........

IT'S A BOY!!!!

8. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Way to go Silvery! :clap:

Silvery likes this.
  9. Ofelix

Media:
    Congratulations Silvery ! Have you thought of names yet ?

Silvery likes this.
  10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yep, Adam Joshua

11. Dice

Media:
    Congrats Silvery! Now you have two boys that can enjoy the same kinds of games and drive each other crazy.

Tal - that photo was adorable. I liked your hamster story.

Silvery likes this.
  12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah! I hate getting corrected 1099's after I've already filed my taxes! Why can't these companies get their sh!t together when they're supposed to? Another wasted evening figuring out what I had to do to file an amended tax return...

At least this time the corrections were in my favor; most of my ordinary dividends were reclassified as qualified dividends, so ended up taxed at a lower rate... thus another refund deposit from the taxman!

13. Silvery

Media:
    I had to do one for my sister after she stopped being self-employed (her boss got her to do it as a tax dodge). She'd been told to send a return to indicate she wasn't SE any more but hadn't bothered....FOR YEARS. Anyway, I must have spent about 6 hours on the bloody phone about it, looks like Revenue and Customs are the same the world over :D

14. Dice

Media:
    FEET

15. Ofelix

Media:
    Meh I just hand over all my relevant papers to the family accountant, way easier that way :p. Which reminds me, when are taxes due again, I forgot...

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. How would you like to pay your accountant twice to do your taxes? Once when you get sent the relevant papers and then again when they send you "corrected" papers a month later?

And here, tax returns need to be filed before mid-April (normally the 15th, but this year it's a day or two later; I forgot the reason)

17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Not looking forward to when I have to do taxes myself :mommy: I'll probably be freelance or self employed in the future.

18. Silvery

Media:
    They aren't too bad when you get used to them. I do the ones for my chocolate business but have an accountant for the properties we manage

19. Dice

Media:
    Taxes - I guess I should take care of that.

20. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Looks like my boy Merlin is well into blue again, he's getting so big! He's 3' already and males are only supposed to reach 3'6"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.