1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling 116

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Flix, I finished exams in April of last year and didn't end up finding a job until October. Even then, I only got the job because I had previously interviewed for a position at the company which I didn't get. Turns out when they say they'll keep your resume on file some companies actually mean it; a month later they had to fire someone and had to fill the position in a hurry so they brought me back for another interview and I started less than a week after that.

Also I was surprised how many interviews I managed to get through LinkedIn, a lot of people don't realize that you can search for jobs on there.

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    LinkedIn ? What's that, another job search engine ? I'm currently using Monster, jobboom, etc. y'know the usual ones. And I know my job whining is getting old...

I'd like to return to Uni, being a twenty something dropout isn't as fun and glamorous as you might think. Meh, still need a job, I can't live with mom and dad forever, it's unhealthy. This Flix needs to fly on his own ! For god's sake I've begun to watch late morning talk show, another month of this and I'll start watching soaps....

PS: Have you any idea how the federal working students program thingy is confusing to navigate ? I'm still not sure if I'm registered or not. You'd think at least one guy in Ottawa could fix the webpage ?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ofelix, many people can't get jobs here for 2+ years, it's that bad. Small consolation, perhaps...

LinkedIn is a kind of Facebook for professionals, basically you can list all of your credentials, employers, positions, etc. and network with other people within your field.

4. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yeah I basically think of it as a Facebook for resumes. All I have on mine is my education & job history and that has served me well. My job searches were pretty much for entry level tech-ish jobs in the Toronto area.

And on that note, if anyone feels so inclined you can find my page here.

WurstBane likes this.
  5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well I'm starting a job in little over a week. It's in my field of experience , close to one of my sons schools , and will probably give me some experience in other areas that will benefit me. And there is still most of two weeks of summer left.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Congrats, Dice! :banana:

7. Dice

Media:
    Thanks Monty :) It feels good to be getting my life on track.

8. Ofelix

Media:
    Well had an interview today, a group interview. It was the weirdest thing, no, really. They had us do role play on a subject that has pretty much anything to do with the job. Yeah ok, it's a poll center that deal exclusively in media preferences so I understand why communication skills are important, but role play ?

Anyway, nothing left to do but watch reruns of Stargate on Space. It's not a bad show, not super good either. They should've cancelled it way before though. The Ori story arc was just... bad, "Hey listen, after years of battling alien dudes who thinks they're gods why not battle actual gods" urrr. Worst. Idea. Ever. Plus Ben Browder and Claudia Black had waaaaaaaay more chemistry as actors in Farscape.

Good for you Dice, good for you.

9. Dice

Media:
    Well how do you feel you did in the roll-play Flix? Anyway, keep trying - something will show up, it just takes some time sometimes.

10. Ofelix

Media:
    I'm pretty sure I did good, actually I feel good about the interview. I was confident and awesome, the two most important things. :happy: :thumb:

Edit: Well hell yeah, I got the job, just received the call, I start next Thursday ! W00t ! I'm employed !

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sweet! Congrats Flix! :banana:

Hopefully both you and DIce will enjoy your new jobs, but at least the money will be appreciated I'm sure :)

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Congrats Flix! :banana:

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well done. The economy has had it worst it seems.

14. Dice

Media:
    Congrats Flix :)

15. reepnorp

Media:
    Attaboy Flix! We all knew something would come along in time. Congrats! :D

16. Ofelix

Media:
    Well thank you all ! With the money I will finally save enough to rent my own apartment. Who would've thought, Flix's own place, Flixopolis, La maison de Flix. That sounds good.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Good to hear you've made it. :thumb:

18. Dice

Media:
    Hey Flixo, if you rent your own apartment maybe you'll be able to catch a girl to hang out in it with you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a couple of hours the house is going to smell great. I'm making my version of Ropa Vieja, which is an unbelievably delicious Mexican dish (I believe some other latino countries make it too) which my kids go crazy for. The name translates into "Old Cloths" lol but it sure doesn't taste like that :p

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ropa Vieja is my canary in the coal mine for Cuban restaurants. If I order that and it's not awesome, I don't go back to the restaurant.

20. Ofelix

Media:
    Yeah that's the plan, btw stop reading my mind you...you mind reader.

I don't really like Mexican food, dun dun duuuuun . Love Thai food though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.