1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #104

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    My brother has an old Lubitel 166b camera on his shelf, and today I spent some time playing with it. It feels almost surreal for today - all the little cogwheels, lenses, shutters.... no electronics in sight. It was fun.

D-Fly: No problem. :)

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    A friend of mine had one of the old Hasselblad cameras. It was a beauty to behold :)

3. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

@Trell, if the question is why rather than what - the North Carolina outer banks are wonderful in October, because:
    1. Way lower prices - half or even less what a cottage costs in the summer.
    2. No crowds - in fact almost no one at all, compared to summer. (So if the drawers come off again - no one but my sister to be grossed out and she's already seen it once this year :D)
    3. Great weather IF no tropical storm/hurricane comes along (admittedly a big if this year, given current pattern): highs in the 80's (26-28C), lows around 60 or even less (15C), so great swimsuit weather midday and wonderfully pleasant walking weather in the morning. Plus there's a meteor shower in October that's fun to watch on a dark beach.
    Admittedly there are some drawbacks, the risk of tropical weather being a big one, of course. Many seasonal businesses, including some restaurants and most amusement parks, are closed - but I'm a :geezer: remember so night life is past my bedtime usually. I've gone in October for the last few years and enjoyed it every time.

As for tropical weather, Stefanina, I hope, too, that Ike goes elsewhere - not that I wish a category 4 storm on anyone at all, of course. :(

And for the obligatory east Tennessee weather report, it is sunny, humid, getting hot here today. I know you wanted badly to know that.

4. Loreseeker

Media:
    The Orionids. :) Always lovely. This year, their peak is on the 21st of October. (which makes it special to me)

Ziad: Hasselblad cameras are impressive. They have a very interesting origin/history too. (developed by Hasselblad in WWII for aerial scouts and mounted on NASA's early space missions).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I don't work until Sunday night, damn, some time off feels good. I did my four nights, now it's my bro's turn to do his three nights -- yep, we're the two night shift guys.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I need a new career that is lucrative and doesn't involve dealing with stupid people. Any suggestions?

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

DotW: Randall Graves was the mouthy one from Clerks. When asked what kind of customers get on his nerves, he answered "all of them."

8. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hey disciple do y'all have a cut-off time for alcohol sales?
    I know that when i was in the business here that those were the funniest of our security tapes, as people will offer the clerk ALL KINDs of things for booze(everything from money to drugs to sexual favors) or go the other route & threaten violence(that never worked, armed store:)

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
  10. Disciple of The Watch

Marty, yes, I have to lock the beer fridges and the hard liquor display stand from 11PM to 8AM. And yes, I've had numerous offers for considerable amounts of cash for booze, drugs, and just this week I had like six or seven offers for sexual favors from underage chicks (*shudders*) for booze.

Worst thing is I have been working there for only a week. Considering that my job is in a somewhat crazy neighborhood, I think there will be much, much, much, much more loonies to come.

It's not all bad, though, I also get regular customers who are pretty much all decent folks - one of those, for example, like clockwork, stops by at 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the morning for a coffee and lottery tickets. Then there's the milk delivery guy who pays a hundred bucks worth of gas in $2, $1, $0.25 and $0.10. Normally, I'd be supposed not to accept, but this guy fills my drawers, and the morning rushes are so intense that I need all the change I can get.

Oh yeah, there's also that other guy who stops by at about 4AM for a coffee. He grabs a newspaper and reads it on my ice cream/popsickles/Mr. Freeze freezer and gives me the news of the day. He gets on my nerves, but he's not bothering anyone, so I just go back to doing the usual work I have to do every night - cleaning and filling up the coffee machines, the beer/soda/energy drinks fridges, mopping the floor (I abhor doing it, but the floor is so dirty I don't have much choice but to do it, then I twiddle my thumbs until the morning rush starts.

It's far from a dream job, but at least I get a paycheck every week, plus my coworkers and boss are like a big dysfunctional family, but in a good way.

11. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    @revmaf, that sounds indeed like a solid plan and I endorse it, but 26-28 celcius in October is too much for my fragile young mind to understand.
    @Deathmage, I want to punch him too now.

I need to figure out a hobby, maybe start band.
    FACT: While you do play a couple of songs and some blues in rehearsals, most of the time goes in technical diificulties and playing foosball.

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'd settle for just a lucrative career. I've found that stupid people are unavoidable once you leave your home. :bad:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I should stop designing games... have about twenty designs in various stages of completion on the go now x_x

Was fifteen last month. But still...

I just want to start making them already! :xx:

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Interesting stuff! Amazing how many things that we take for granted initially started as a tool of war.

He's only 18 and he's already this arrogant? Impressive.

15. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@deathmage

yep! he's a douche!

in other news i am now about to start my 3rd week of uni. and really looking forward to it!
    i love going to school again, hope the feeling lasts though...

16. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Well, Balle, your post reminds me I have failed to send my annual best wishes to all who are going back to school at this time of year - hope it's a good term for everyone. :thumb:

And I'm still hoping for the best for all in the path of Hanna and Ike in the U.S. and elsewhere. One of our unfortunate local TV weather-casters (AKA soothsayers, not very good ones, either) spent a good part of her segment referring to "Anna" and "Hike" until guffawing off-camera and apparently a whispered prompt in her earphone alerted her to her mistake. :lol:

Anyway, have a good weekend, all.

17. Loreseeker

Media:
    All the fun is in the things you need not do. (Think "dying" if you disagree :p)

18. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Well that curry killed my appetite.

19. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@loreseeker

exactly! and the opposite is true also ( 99% of the time)

when you have to do stuff it immediately becomes 5 times as hard and 10 times as boring

just had rice and curry for dinner, gotta love it!

20. Disciple of The Watch

SP works on WAP, meaning I can spam on my phone. Expect me to start spamming during my hours of doing pretty much nothing at work.

I can't wait to get my new Crackberry. This thing has a full-blown HTML browser. Enough said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.