1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #108

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Blackthorne TA, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Consonant-Vowel combinations create different sounds depending on the language of origin. English is a mongrol langauge, so weird pronounciations are pretty normal :p

Then you get American English where they decide to remove a whole bunch of letters and make an h sound optional in words beginning with the letter! Honestly...

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I assume you knew what you were saying when you wrote "Honestly..."

Do you pronounce the "H" in that word?

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I do! HHHHHonestly!!!!

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Weird. Saying it that way out loud sounds simply bizarre.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It has a light inflection, not particularly a consonant sound, but things like herb and hotel, really does quite damage a word.

6. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    In french, the "h" is silent. Hôtel is pronounced ôtel, herbe is pronounced erbe. The funny thing is the french language institution one day woke up and realized people were doing liaisons with the second letter, and forgetting the "h" althogether. Ex. The hotels is "Les hôtels", but we were making a "z" sound liaison between "les" and "ô" as we would with any other word starting with a vowel. So now, we can't make a liaison, even though the "h" is silent, so it sounds just weird...

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Wasn't the liaison started in the first place so that you wouldn't have two vowels sounds in a row? I thought it was based purely on the phonetics and not on the spelling of the words. Same reason English has "a" and "an".

8. Triactus

Media:
    It is about spelling. The liaison is between to vowels, not between two vowel sounds. In theory, the pronounciation always follows closely the written word. Like Kitrax said at the start of this mini-topic, "sure" should not be pronounced "shure", or it would have been written that way.

In practice, we have a whole lot more liaisons. Now, we can't make liaisons with an "h" since it's a consonant, even though it's not pronounced. "Les hôtels" is now pronounced "Lè ôtel" instead of "Lèzôtel". We make a massacre of thr written words when we talk. There's also diphtongs (different regional pronunciations who distort the words). For example, in Québec we add a "z" sound when an "i" or "u" follows a "t" or "d" : dîner is pronounced "dzîner". But that's not the case in other french speaking cultures.

We learned a lot of word pronounciation in theater, so I have the eye for it now... :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hey! What's wrong with powertrips?

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Well, there's .... errr, ummm...

Nothing, I guess!

:evil:

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Only if you assume that writing follows phonetics, which not a single Western language does, and most certainly not English (just check all the differences between American and British English in writing). I think French is a little better about this - sure many words written differently are pronounced the same, but at least when you're reading you have a reasonable idea of how the word should be pronounced. English is a nightmare. Different letters? may or may not be pronounced the same. Same letter in different words? may or may not be pronounced completely different. Sometimes the same letter present twice in the same word will be pronounced differently! Trying to speak words that you've never heard pronounced before (or haven't looked up the phonetics of) is guaranteed to make people look at you funny.

12. Triactus

Media:
    Oh, nothing.... when you're the one doing it. It sucks when you're on the bottom...

13. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    See...this is why we need an adults only forum...so many comments to make, so many moderators to stop me!

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yep, I agree Silvery. I always wanted to talk about my fantasy of a stripper wearing nothing but a Blu-dragon lady costume hovering over me, swinging her...oops, nevermind! :D

15. Triactus

Media:
    Yes, that's exactly the reason for the accentsin the french language. e, é, è, ê, ë are all pronounced differently. That's another reason why, in french at least, you must follow the spelling. It will tell you everything you have to know (there are exceptions of course, but not a lot).

People say french is hard to learn. Yet, it is not that bad. Yes, there are no real indication of the gender in words (as opposed to italian where feminin words end with an "e" or an "a" and masculin words end with an "o" or an "i"). But once you get past it, it's not that hard.

And I could add several comments about that as well... :lol:

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Our newborn is finally sleeping in the crib. Last night was the 1st night since she was born that the wife and I both were able to sleep more than 3 hours in a row. Finally!:clap:

17. Silvery

Media:
    WOOO! Go Blades!

18. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Eh... how strictly do you want writing to follow phonetics?

If down to the accents, then yeah, none do that.

But in Serbian, for example, one letter is one sound - always. You write exactly as you pronounce and read as it is written (as per Adelung) - meaning that all the letters are always the same and you can read a book in Serbian fairly well out loud (without understanding it though) after learning how to pronounce the 30 letters. Sandhi rules present are all included in the orthography.

Spelling in general basically doesn't exist in Serbian (for which I am quite grateful :p ) - assuming one's ears work.

I think there are a few more languages like that around.

EDIT:
    BTW, I suck at touch typing :(
    Not that my usual typing is much better... :p

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  19. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

To quote Christopher Lloyd: BLAHBLEBLUBARRRGHHH *grumble* *grumble* BLARGH.

20. Silvery

Media:
    I appear to have scratched my eye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.