1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #109

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I had something fun to say, but I hit my uni page in passing... now my head is a blur. *rants elsewhere*

Oh and RL friends keep phoning me when I'm half comatose/asleep from RP - they probably think I've really lost it when I pick up the phone with a sleepy "Halo?" at 6 pm. At least there have been no serious overlaps.

Also, September 23rd?! :eek: I'm running late....

Note to self: School Around the Corner *cartoon flee singing*

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Raid0: failed

[​IMG] :mad: :flaming: My second HDD died, taking my RAID 0 with it. I made the test - one drive was accessible, the other was not. Both drives are barely 12 months old, and I will send the dead one back to Seagate for warranty. Maybe I can get it back in time for my Windows 7 arriving. And hopefully the other one will last.

My data are all lost, in particular all my savegames. The important documents I can reproduce, fortunately. The rest is stored on my external HDD. Mental note: I DO NEED a dedicated back-up drive.

My computer is notably slower now, without the RAID (setup took 15 min longer), but at least I got it working again, and relatively quickly, thanks to Win7's great installation disk. Meh. [​IMG]

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What a shame. That's the risk you take though...

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I have never dared set up a RAID0 for precisely this reason. Sorry to hear you lost some stuff, good thing it wasn't any of the important documents.

5. Ragusa

Media:
    Yeah [​IMG] but then, I am glad I am a fairly experienced user (of almost two decades) with intimate knowledge of my system (assembled it myself, set it up myself, chose the components myself). I doubt a paid-for techie could have done a better diagnosis much faster.

I did a reinstall on the surviving drive with installation of important programs from zero on 19:00 to a working computer with 85% of the necessary software at 22:25. Not too bad. As I said, I'm darn glad I can use my computer again. I had some urgent things to take care of. I can surf, I can write, I can print, I can run python, I can edit.

I'll spend the next days fixing the details. There is apparently always something that I forget.

I'll spend the next days pondering my new disk set-up and whether I'll get a dedicated back-up drive, use a RAID 0 again (the speed was great, really - my Win7 score for my drive dropped by 0.5 to a puny 5.9 with no RAID :mad: ;) but in fact the speed gain was palpable), or try something altogether new (like my two great temptations Rapor/SSD :rolleyes:). That'll also depend on the result of my warranty enquiry for my crashed HDD.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

That's what you get for buying Seagate.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah. I've had 4 320GB Seagate drives in a RAID 5 on almost continuously for a little over 3 years now with no failure.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Don't remember asking for your opinion.

:p :lol:

No, seriously, maybe I'm biased having worked in a computer shop and taking care of HDD RMAs -- tons of Seagate drives.

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    One of my seagate drives started to fail a few months ago. It was part of my RAID 0, so I decided to take action before it totally died. I reconfigured my RAID 0 to just 2 drives instead of 3, made one HDD a dedicated backup drive, and installed the Win7 Beta/RC on the failing drive. I was able to do all my tests and play with Win7, but once a week or so the drive would just decide to crap out on me. I'm going to RMA it the next time it decides to die.

Besides that drive, I've never had a problem with Seagate.

In other news, there's a nation-wide ammo shortage thanks to Obama. He technically hasn't done anything (yet), but people are freaking out that he will, so they're stocking up and hoarding as much ammo as they can while it's still relatively cheap.

10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Uh...I feel sick. My next door neighbour came round for a drink last night and me, being the idiot that I am, thought it would be a good idea to start on the G&T when the wine started running out.

Ended up falling out of bed and had to sleep with one foot on the floor all night to stop the room spinning!

11. Disciple of The Watch

I don't miss booze at all when I read stuff like that.

12. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Awww, good times... :)

I ran out of beer! My girlfriend has had the car for the last week or two and she works early to late, so I can't go buy more... :(

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Are your feet broken? Beer's worth the hike ya know... :)

14. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I know, but I have so much work that the 20 minutes hike is tough to do.. Plus the case is heavy... :(

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Triactus my friend, methinks that today, you caught a case of the lazies. The case is heavy? I try to by my beer by the pallet. Less interruptions between beers that way. :p

16. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    That's the advantage of wine over beer. It takes less liquid before you are drunk => have to drag less mass home.

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    The obvious question is: Were the Seagate drives the best selling drives at that shop?

18. Ragusa

Media:
    What does RMA mean anyway?

19. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Rockin' Manly Awesomeness.

For example: I have so much RMA that women tear their clothes off and throw themselves at me when I go out in public.

8people likes this.
  20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    It's actually Return Merchandise Authorization. Most places want to control what broken merchandise they receive, so they require you to get an authorization before you return it. I'm sure they want to verify you purchased it from them and within a certain time frame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.