1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #117

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I'm curious: will 2013 finally be the year where we switch to saying "twenty-[whatever]" instead of "two-thousand-[whatever]?" As far as I know, 2012 was still "two-thousand-twelve," like all the other 21st century years to date.

The reason I ask is that it seems like we couldn't do this forever ("two-thousand-seventy-seven" sounds cumbersome). Also there seems to be some intrinsic difference in people's minds between the numbers 12 and 13. They're like any other integers ordered by tens, and yet like no other numbers, 11 and 12 get different (seemingly arbitrary) names.

Twenty-two, twenty-three
    Twelve, thirteen (not twelveteen :p)

Or am I just number-addled?

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK! I'm on board. Twenty - thirteen it is.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've been using "twenty" since 2010. The single digits just didn't work because you can't tell the difference between saying e.g. 21 and 20 - 1; and who wants to say "Twenty Oh One" instead of "Two Thousand One". But by the time we got to ten it worked fine for me at least.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Same with me (like BTA that is). It's been Twenty whatever since Twenty-Ten.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ditto BTA and dmc. Although, as a side note, people referred to, say, 2009 as "oh nine" for short. For 2010-2012, they'd still often put the "oh" before "ten", "eleven" or "twelve", which really didn't make much sense to me, since the short form is generally just the last 2 digits. Hopefully 2013 will now just be "thirteen".

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Hm, I wonder if there are regional differences. Around here it's still been the 2000 version (up through 2012 anyway).

I've noticed that there's often not a lot of tolerance for variation on stuff like that. One guy in my office always insists on referring to 9/11 as "nine-one-one" (like the emergency number) instead of "nine-eleven." Whenever he does that, conversation stops and people just look at him like he's a bit daft. :p

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well... He IS a bit daft. ;)

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    In Danish we used to say "nineteen-hundred and something", and this doesn't work so well with "twenty-hundred and something", so we use "two thousand and thirteen". I'm afraid it carries over into my English. But I will try to improve my ways. ;)

9. Dice

Media:
    Well all this 20 20 talk was interesting and all but kind of limited in discussion matter :D I posted a new discussion in the MUG if anyone is interested. Sorry if it isn't and overly steaming hot discussion but I feel we have been neglecting our hormones of late.

BTW Gaear, didn't you mention something about Spock and Kirk and the gang, that you said you might post in the MUG? I'm still curious about that :p

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I prefer to use Mayan dates ... well ... until a couple of weeks ago.

11. Dice

Media:
    I'm not much for dates, raisins are good in cookies sometimes though.

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    True, but it's hard to go on a raisin with someone...

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fruitcakes! Now you have me thinking of seedless prunes and chopped nuts.

14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Watched Amadeus again. Listening to the requiem now.

15. Dice

Media:
    Unless you are into raisin a little hell :p

Also if you freeze slices of fruitcakes they make excellent hockey pucks.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Fruitcakes are highly useful. They prop doors open, in pairs act as parking stops for bicycles, can be used as improptu blunt weapons and, in direst emergency, can be eaten for sustenance.

17. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can send people diamonds in them too.......

Nope, too much Elizabeth Moon

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The deeds of Paksenarrion was nice.

19. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yep, I loved it. Got the 2 prequels and the first 2 of the current Paks ones that's she's writing!

20. Dice

Media:
    Going to make egg sandwiches for supper. That should be appealing to the kids. Might even put pickled hot peppers on some of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.