1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #117

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Good question Silv - guess you'll have to attack your doctor on that one.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, if it's an x-linked gene found on one of the x-chromosomes and you happen to have it on both of yours, then any son of yours will necessarily have it. You provide the x either way and, if you have a son, it's Rob that gives the y. Thus, if your boys have daughters, that means that they are providing one of the two x-chromosomes necessarily (if they provided a y, the offspring would be a son, not a daughter).

This presupposes (a) that the condition is specifically linked to that chromosome and (b) that you have it on both of yours.

If (a) is false, then you don't know whether your sons have that gene at all and if (b) is false, you have a 50/50 shot of passing a "clean" x-chromosome.

There you go - the sum total of my genetic knowledge in a pithy little post. Hope it makes sense.

Bladezuez and Nakia like this.
  3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's the 50/50 bit that I'm wondering about. Ah well. I'll have to speak to the doctor about it.
    Cheers though lovely

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How geeky am I?!
    I got some compliments lately that I was rather surprised by. Sometimes you get compliments and think to yourself: "Hey that's nice, but somehow I knew I had it in me." This time I got a compliment and all I could think was: "Are you making fun of me?"
    So, in last night's dream I was seemingly trying to wrap my head around this and a cold voice asked me: "Do you even realize your potential?"

And when I woke up, I remembered this Jon Irenicus quote and said to myself. "Good lord! I'm a Geek!"

I'm kinda insecure when I'm doing stuff that I never tried before. And I never try those things, because I think I'm not good at it. But now I'm trying stuff. Stuff I usually wouldn't try because I *think* I'm not (yet) good at it, but actually have no experience with. I'm gaining some knowledge of self this way. I guess T2 The Nameless Einstein is right with his title "The only source of knowledge is experience." :)

Nakia, Dice, Taluntain and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dice

Media:
    Mon, you realize that entire post was rather enigmatic ;). (I loved the dream sequence btw.)

On the other hand I'm seriously thinking you should write a blog here.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why do you have to be good at something to try it? Almost nobody is good at anything without practice. And those that are already good will simply become fantastic at it if they practice. :)

Bladezuez, Master of Nuhn and Nakia like this.
  7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Congratulations, MoN, you have learned one of the basic facts of life. If you don't try you will never succeed.

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BTA, "never" is a bit exuberant, I guess. But I sometimes have the feeling I suffer from a slight case of (lemme search for the translation...) atychiphobia. Especially when it comes to things I have to do with my hands (The compliment I got was that I have a steady hand).

You don't. I'm well aware of that. But something is holding me back. It's not that I never do anything or else I would be dead, of course.

Dice:
    I guess (No! Confidence! I'm sure!) that I'm good at Blogging. In Dutch at least. That's how I got several jobs; people read some of my stuff and asked me to work for them. In English it's totally different, though, since I can't really find the right, juicy (harsh) words in a non-native language. And that's what people usually appreciate in my blogs. I'll give it a try some time. Or see if I can translate one of my old Dutch ones some way.

Bladezuez and Dice like this.
  9. Dice

Media:
    Nonsense Mon - I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be able to express yourself well in a blog considering how well you express yourself here in your posts.

If your words aren't juicy enough squeeze a thesaurus :p.

Bladezuez likes this.
  10. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Thanks, Dice! :) I still think I can't express myself half as well as I can in Dutch, though. (That's the main reason I tend to avoid the Alleys)
    For example, I like to bend standard terms/phrases, adjust sayings and use homonyms etc. All these just don't come naturally to me in English. I can make myself understood, I suppose, but I can't express myself the level I'd like to and that frustrates a bit.

I'll give it a try some time, though.

Bladezuez likes this.
  11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Practice makes perfect, MoN... that and reading English books helps the most.

12. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Or just write in Dutch and rely on web translators MoN, they are awesome.

"To blog I am liking what is put here on the night of Wednesday. Writings unnatural force interpretive wanderings. Henceforth to bend one's clavicle." :D

Master of Nuhn and dmc like this.
  13. Dice

Media:
    Yes they are! I use them sometimes on FB. It's so much fun to comment on something someone has said when really have no idea what they are talking about because the translator has mashed it into a new kind of enigmatic poetry.

When you do comment on those you look SO SMART, especially if you use the translator back to make your comment readable in the same language.

You know a good analogy would be the childhood "telephone" game where one child whispers a phrase in the next child's ear and both the kid at the beginning and the kid at the end of the line end up with something completely different. :p

Bladezuez and Master of Nuhn like this.
  14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Five inches of rain yesterday and it was snowing this morning....

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Bought 4 statues of goddesses. Frigga, Hera, Skadi and Athena.

I haggled for the fourth one and got it for just over half price. How very un-Dutch of me.

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  16. Dice

Media:
    Well I had fun this evening and it didn't involve any embarrassment on my part. Wear Teflon and the world is your bacon.

17. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    And also non-stick

18. Dice

Media:
    Yah well the non-stick makes more sense but I've been kind of liking the weird analogies lately. :p

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But wear bacon and the world is your [MUG material]. :D

Bladezuez likes this.
  20. Dice

Media:
    ... what? Fried egg? Sandwich? ... I can't see MUG material in that Splunge I think you'd better enlighten us by filling in the blank over there :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.